Dr. Deborah M. Axelrod

Grad. Year: 1982

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 04/10/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.8 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 16 reviews. Dr. Deborah M. Axelrod has an excellent overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dr. Deborah M. Axelrod
Oncologist / Hematologist-related: cancer, lymphoma, anemia, sickle cell, breast cancer, lung cancer, melanoma, leukemia, blood disease, tumors, radiation, chemotherapy, CML
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

23/06/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.8
RID: 5489473
22/05/14 4 4 5 5 I am celebrating my 8th year of being cancer free today. I was diagnosed with a very rare form of breast cancer, and Dr. Axelrod knew exactly what it was, as well as her pathologist. She did not "sugar" coat anything. She told me exactly what had to be done, and it had to be done ASAP. After being home, I received a notice that I needed to have more surgery. I panicked. I called her office, she was in surgery, and needless to say, she spoke to me from the operating room telling me everything was fine, and I didn't need another surgery. She is tops in her field. I would recommend anyone to go see her.
Insurance: Blue Cross / Blue Shield
RID: 3647748
04/01/14 5 4 5 5 Having completed two surgeries with Dr. Axelrod over the last three years, she continues to be a superior oncological surgeon. She is very thorough and is not quick to bring her patients back to the operating room. She is on top of all breast cancer surgical and oncological techniques and will translate with ease to her patients. This is a very well run office. Starting with the receptionist to the nurses, you always feel well taken care of at all times. Dr. Axelrod instills confidence in her patients and makes herself available. She understands both the physical and emotional pieces of breast cancer. These critical skills contribute to her success. Dr. Axelrod and her staff are a very caring team.
RID: 2666040
30/05/13 5 5 5 5 She is the most knowledgeable doctor you can find. She is caring and compassionate with a no nonsense approach to everything. She is a tireless advocate for women. When not in her office or at the hospital she is conducting seminars for women. She saved my life 16 years ago.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 2606043
02/04/13 5 5 5 5 Dr. Axelrod is a wonderful person and dedicated physician. I would trust her with my breast health.
RID: 2415456
02/09/12 4 4 3 5 Dr. Axelrod used to be great until she moved to nyu. Maybe she is overwhelmed with patients now, but to have had her save my life ten years ago and completely abandon me this year when the breast cancer began spreading and to give me no other guidance than to write me a note to go see a "medical oncologist" without any referrals delayed the final diagnosis by almost six months. Over a month and a half goes by with a reasonable question to check my past mammos that were flagged by another place, but reread at nyu and a sequential set done six months before the cancer spread. A fair question to check if this is the original cancer or another one developed in the 2nd breast. What happens? 1 month later, am called recommending to have someone review the films, forgetting they are all at the nyu cancer institute. In the past, I would have sang her praises, now that I am dying and she abandoned me, I really do not have anything to lose, do I?
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1562909
17/10/11 4 4 5 5 i was so lucky to have her: prepare for a bit longer waiting time, it's worth it.
RID: 1534597
11/09/11 5 5 5 5 Brilliant and knowledgeable surgeon who has a heart for her patients. Although breast cancer is the scariest event in my life, Dr. Axelrod has been there for me by her knoweldge, counsel and care. She provides you the time you need during your appointments and her staff have been trained by the best. Dr. Axelrod has high standards for herself and it definitely filters down through everyone you interact with in her office. Although, Dr. Axelrod extolls that you must be your advocate, she is always there for you with the mountains of information that is available to you. I have learned so much from her. So many people ask why not MSK? No need to when you have the best Surgeon with Dr. Axelrod and NYU Cancer Center is a model in patient care for breast cancer. I am going through it and I know how good they are. Dr. Axelrod is the best.
RID: 1509360
10/08/11 5 5 5 5 Felt well taken care of, no doubts. Dr.Axelrod is aggressive and inspires comfort.  Respond
RID: 1381727
08/03/11 5 4 5 5 I just love Dr. Axelrod. She has been my doctor for the past 4 years. She is the very best. Her staff, Jill and Robin, are so caring and concerned. They have all been there when I needed them.
RID: 1375183
01/03/11 5 5 5 5 I love Dr. Axelrod. She has been my Doc for 7 years and she is the BEST!!
RID: 1125536
11/03/10 5 5 5 5 Outstanding surgeon, great bed-side manner. Straightforward and not evasive.  Respond
RID: 1027475
06/11/09 5 3 5 5 The best doctor ever for breast cancer .Smart,caring and focused.You know that you're in the best hands .She takes her time when she is with you ,answers all your questions and even took my call to her on her cell phone on a SUNDAY.I feel so lucky that she is my doctor.
RID: 853833
06/04/09 3 4 5 5 Dr. Axelrod cut to the chase but with caring, compassion and extra help when she could give it. A lucky break for anyone needing to go in network. Thank god someone is out there.
RID: 631064
03/07/08 4 1 4 5 Excellent and talented surgeon. Office visits are usually chaotic, often late. However, focus on why you are there and forget about bedside manner, organization, etc.  Respond
RID: 582755
03/05/08 4 4 4 4 Thank you so much to Dr. Axelrod and her outstanding staff at NYU Hospital. I cannot thank them enough for their caring attitude and efforts in answering my many questions.  Respond
RID: 543133
20/03/08 5 5 5 5 Excellent staff from front desk to the physician herself. Careful and considerate, very knowledgable
Insurance: United Healthcare