Dr. Nili N. Alai

Grad. Year: 1994

Answers Email: N
Online Appt. Scheduling: N
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 3.5 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 17 reviews. Dr. Nili N. Alai has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Dermatologist-related: skin disease, warts, acne, rash, dermatitis, skin tumors, moles, skin cancer, psoriasis
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

30/10/13 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Nili" to "Nili N."
RID: 2457187
25/10/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alai is one of the most knowledgeable doctors I have seen. Her staff is always professional. She is extremely competent and a great surgeon. Would always go back there as I know it will be an excellent experience.
Insurance: Kaiser-Permanente
RID: 2409413
24/08/12 5 5 5 5 I would not have known about a really big cancer on my chin without Dr. Alai. I went in to see dr. Alai outside of my kaiser HMO plan for a cosmetic mole removal on my body. Dr. Alai found a rare growth called a microsictic adnexal cancer on my chin which was totally unrelated. I did not even see this growth and had no idea it was there. I am so grateful Dr. Alia cared enough was was thorough. She looked beyond what I was there to do. To save me money, she wrote a note for me to take to kaiser to have my biopsy covered by my plan. My doctors and friends were very impressed.  Respond
RID: 2396829
09/08/12 1 3 1 2 I am extremely disappointed with my visit to Dr. Alai. I was a new patient and went in for a full body check. She was not at all thorough and did not spend adequate time with me. She recommended that I go to an office at UCI that does a high-tech scan. If she is going to recommend this type of procedure, then why did she even agree to see me for a body check? The amount of paperwork that needs to be filled out is ridiculous, with excessive focus on liability, insuring payment, etc. I have never had to do that kind of paperwork at any other doctor's office. Payment is required before you can see the doctor, which is ridiculous since it is unknown what you need to have done until the doctor sees you and determines what is needed. I could go on and on. Honestly, I have never had such a negative experience at a medical office.
Insurance: United Healthcare
RID: 1836333
02/04/12 5 4 5 5 Great dermatologist! Dr. Alai is extremely knowledgeable and thorough. She took the time to explain everything and gave me detailed written instructions. The office is clean and comfortable. The staff is professional, very friendly, and also knowledgeable. I have had a few procedures (biopsies/facials/laser hair removal)and all have been painless and quick.
Respond

01/02/12 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1683860
11/01/12 1 1 2 2 Over the course of the past 18 months, Dr. Alai has mis-diagnosed 2 separate conditions, resulting in anxiety, stress, unnecessary procedures, and unrecoverable expenditures of money. Despite medical documentation, Dr. Alai refused to even consider the possibility of an error. Furthermore she consistently overbooks, resulting in waits as long as 45-60 minutes. Her office is grossly understaffed generating short tempered,ill-prepared young assistants, unconcerned with patients as human beings. Dr. Alai, because of the overbooking, is often rushed and impatient in responding to questions pertinent to my conditions. I often felt pressured to purchase expensive skin care products at her office, only to later learn they are inexpensively available, over the counter, at CVS or Long's. Each time I tried to address my concerns with her, Dr. Alai waved me off and told me to talk to her nurse who was busy with other patients. Try as I did to give her the benefit of the doubt, I'm done with her.
RID: 1445608
20/05/11 1 1 2 3 Definitely would not recommend Dr. Alai. I agree with all of the negative comments above. In general, she is medically knowledgeable, but the office seems understaffed and poorly organized. After being a patient for over a year, I got a letter suggesting that another doctor "would be better suited to my medical needs". This was a strange coincidence, soon after my group insurance had changed to a plan that was less favorable to Dr. Alai's "pay up front" policy. I've since found another doctor, who after three visits, hasn't even asked me for a co-pay. Furthermore, an insurance professional of 26 years told me he had never hear of a doctor treating a patient in this manner.  Respond

28/11/10 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1299465
22/11/10 2 1 1 3 I have been Dr. Alai's patient for many years, but today I decided to seek a new dermatologist. Over time, the quality of her service has degraded. While I feel she is medically knowledgable, she keeps her patients waiting (frequently 45 minutes +), has her patients sign countless liability related forms (more than any other doctor I've known), pushes botox, fillers and other cash only, immediate-pay services, and seems less and less intereted in listening to and serving her patients. She will stretch what could be attended to in one appt. into several appts. Making money is her priority. She has a high rate of turnover among her staff members, and does a poor job of training her employees. She is arrogant and defensive. She is deficient in business knowledge, people skills and common sense. I would seek another more efficient, caring dermatologist.
RID: 1171312
17/05/10 1 2 2 4 Tried to get initial appointment for full body review, but they only will do half the body at one time. What is that???
RID: 1168327
12/05/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alai's staff are very professional and extremely helpful. Dr. Alai has treated me for acne with excellent results. In addition, I get botox and do laser hair removal. My results have been much better than the other dermatologist I went to previously.
RID: 1129604
17/03/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Alai is a very knowledgeable and kind dermatologist. Her bedside manners are great. I believed that I got great care and treatment for my skin condition from her. As a small business owner, I believe her billings are fair and comparable to all other doctors whom I visited in the past. Overall, I was very pleased to have her as my dermatologist. I am sorry to hear different opinions about this kind and compassionate doctor.
RID: 1129413
16/03/10 5 5 5 5 I and my family have had nothing but good experiences with Dr Alai. We have introduced many friends to her practice, and they have also been pleased. Her caring attitude and her straightforward approach to the various skin problems we have presented to her has been impressive. My sister-in-law has always been reluctant to go to a dermatologist due to her great fear of needles. She has refused biopsies in the past due to her fears. Once she was introduced to Dr Alai and experienced her gentle hand at excisions, she is not longer afraid. She is now requesting Botox injections from Dr Alai! Doctors can't please everyone, but Dr Alai makes the effort to please as many patients as she can, has done a marvelous job with my family and friends.  Respond
RID: 1129407
16/03/10 5 5 5 5 I do not agree with some of the previous comments. I have a high deductible so I have to pay for part of the office visits until my deductbile is satisfied. I am very happy with Dr. Alai's office. I was very impressed when I first walked into her office. The reception area was beautiful with gorgeous travertine floor and spacious seating areas. The staff was friendly and helpful. I find Dr. Alai pleasant, easy to talk to and willing to listen to my problem. As an adult woman with acne, I have issues with dry skin and constant breakouts. She listened and understood my dilemma more so than any other doctors I've seen before. She prescribes medications that have not irritated my skin and I have seen improvement in my skin health--although it's been only a few weeks. I finally found a dermatologist who truly understands a woman's skin and I hope that more grateful patients like me would speak up about Dr. Alai and the wonderful dermatologic care that she has given to many of her patients.
RID: 657912
05/08/08 4 3 1 1 Did not enjoy my experience with this "doctor." When she came to examine me, she looked at my skin, pointed, and said, "what is that??" uhh you're UR THE DOCTOR, you tell me!! The appt was then "handed off" to her assistant. would not and will not visit again!
RID: 631187
04/07/08 5 4 5 5 I have really nejoyed my visits with this doctor over the last 9 years. The doctor is always through, very detailed, gives me a lot of choices, educational handouts, and shares all decision making with me. My entire faily including my husband, children and my widowed mother also love coming here. There are always unexpected niceties like fresh baked cookies and even pizza on special surgical days.  Respond
RID: 626497
28/06/08 5 5 5 5 I found Dr. Alai to be a very thorough doctor and provide a complete exam and explanation of my skin condition. The staff and office were very nice and comfortable. I waited about 10 minutes before seeing the doctor. I felt all of my questions were answered and I was able to get an appointment very quickly.I have already highly recommended this doctor to my family.
Insurance: Medicare
Respond

06/04/08 SYSTEM: 3 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 557780
04/04/08 1 2 1 2 I totally agree with other respondent about the focus being on only caring about money. They try to sell you everything that is not covered by insurance. The office is FILTHY! I went to have a mole checked but they spent more time trying to get to have injections of this and that. My daughter has had awful experiencers there as well. The office actually asked my husband to have proceedures done because he had money left to use in our insurance fund! The PA spends all of the time with you. Totally hands off doctor. Be prepare to pay upfront or they won't let you see the doctor. They have tried to get me to pay the difference between what the insurance pays and the doctor bills. All they care about is the money you hand out. Find another doctor. AWFUL!
RID: 528266
03/03/08 3 4 1 1 Dr Alai seems to be more concerned with stuffing her pocketbook than caring for her patients. First of all, she spent maybe 5 mins with me (i was a new patient) and let her phys. asst finish and inject me. And she was NOT gentle. The doc tried to get me to buy in-house creams and washes, which were ALL overpriced. I asked for topical anesthetic which she denied me of unless I paid for it and applied myself (which no doc has ever denied or charged me for). She billed my ins. company an arm and a leg. Her office is run down and very medically UNPROFESSIONAL. She uses cheapy $10 Target drawers to store her medical equipment, instead of investing in built-in cabinets. So instead of locked cabinets, there were paper signs that said "DONT TOUCH" everywhere. I HIGHLY DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS PLACE.
Insurance: United Healthcare