Dr. Asher H. Taban

Grad. Year: 1968

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Rating: 4.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 15 reviews. Dr. Asher H. Taban has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Neurosurgeon-related: nervous system, cervical and lumbar spine problems, brain tumors, neurovascular problems, peripheral nerve problems, neurological surgery, brain and spinal cord tumors, skull-base surgery, brachytherapy, aneurysm surgery, epilepsy surgery, neurological surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments

03/06/14 SYSTEM: 'birds of a feather' score (based on Medicare patients-in-common): 3.8

20/10/13 SYSTEM: First Name changed from "Asher" to "Asher H."
RID: 2708560
14/07/13 4 4 4 5 Four months ago my doctor discovered that I had a pituitary adenoma tumor in my brain. I was referred to Dr. Taban through my health insurance provider(HealthNet). He explained to me that surgery was necessary in order to ensure that this benign tumor did not complicate my overall health. About two weeks ago Dr. Taban performed a surgery to extract the tumor, which was about 33mm large. Despite the large size of the tumor he performed a endonasal endoscopic surgery and removed it completely. There was no complications and my recovery time was only two weeks. I am fully satisfied with the work that Dr. Taban did and would highly recommend him to any other patient. He is highly knowledgeable in his area of work and has a lot of experience in his field, which is evident through his work.  Respond
RID: 2422007
10/09/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Taban saw me in a truly emergency state. I had been experiencing unexplainable pain for a couple of months, had been to E.R.s 4 times, & no one could figure out what was happening to my body. It turned out that bacteria had settled in my neck bones & had began to eat at them. By the time Dr. Taban was brought into my situation, 1 1/2 of my neck bones were crumbling & my spinal cord was bulging. It took 2 surgeries, a couple of days apart, first going in from the front, & then from the back, but he rebuilt my neck using wire, bolts, & bone from my hips. My x-rays look like Frankenstein, but I have been able to return to almost the same lifestyle I had before the surgery. (At the time, it was possible that I would be paralyzed, or even not live through this event!) I am grateful to this skillful doctor for giving me back an active lifestyle with my husband, kids & grandkids. I have even been able to go back to riding horses. Thank you, Dr. Taban. Sincerely, Patricia Pandolfi
RID: 2391813
02/08/12 5 5 5 5 having a second surgery with Dr. Taban and have always felt confident in his skills as a medical expert. Ellen and Maria run the best medical office. They are caring and helpful with every aspect of surgery. Dr. Taban is very busy so plan on a couple weeks wait for an appointment. A+ to Dr Taban and his excellent office staff.
Insurance: Anthem
Paid (or co-pay): $10
RID: 2355770
12/07/12 5 4 5 5 My experience with Dr. Taban and his office staff Ellen and Maria was excellent. The doctor and his staff are extremely professional and show you caring and compassion. I would also like to say thank you to Dr. Taban's surgical staff who performed surgery with Dr. Taban on my neck and gave me a new life without pain. Thank you to everyone and especially Dr. Taban who took a moment to watch a rainbow with me. What an incredible doctor!  Respond
RID: 2053750
19/04/12 5 5 5 5 He did surgery on my sister.she was dismissed in 3days from the hospital.Dr .Taban did a very good job.I will recommend him very highly.  Respond
RID: 2023739
14/04/12 5 2 5 5 My surgery was scheduled for 2/6/12 and another on 2/8/12. I had discetomies and fusion from t-11 down to L-2. Hardware was already in place from L-3/L5 from a surgery in 2007. This surgery connected the T-11 to the existing hardware. My surgeries went with no complications and the Nursing and on staff Doctors was very attentive. Dr. Taban came by after hours to see how I was coming along on all three days of the procedures. His staff is uneqiivocally the best there is. All questions are answered professionally and in a timely manner. The only poor rating would be the Doctors not seeing you at your scheduled time, but you have his full attention when you are in the office with him.
RID: 1714564
15/02/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Taban impressed us with not only his knowledge in my diagnosis but also bedside manner. After undergoing many other doctor's attempts to avoid surgically removing a cyst that was severely compressing my nerve, Dr. Taban came to the rescue and has helped imprve my life. Friendly staff. Overall, very punctual and well mannered doctor. He knew what to do to help. Thanks  Respond
RID: 1692647
20/01/12 5 5 5 5 I had fractured two cervical vertebra due to a fall.Dr.Taban was very thorough during his initial exam.After putting me on a regimen of high dose vitamin D and not seeing enough improvement,he had me try Forteo [a synthetic hormone].After seven months the vertebrae healed completely and I avoided surgery thanks to Dr. Taban.
Insurance: Secure Horizons
RID: 1538609
15/09/11 3 3 1 1 I went to him years ago for a consultation for right leg pinched nerve pain. I cannot speak to his surgical abilities but I found him rude, arrogant, uninterested, and his advice was to walk 45 minutes a day EVEN IF THE PAIN IN MY LEG BECAME WORSE! I walked out of his office very discouraged and immediately sought out another doctor.
Insurance: Workers Comp
RID: 1478030
02/07/11 5 5 5 5 A pleasure working with him. Excellent and efficient bedside manner. An excellent surgeon. No side effects with my C7/T1 laminectomy due to his skill, I hope I don't need his skills in the future, BUT, if I do, I wouldn't hesitate using him again.
Insurance: Medicare
RID: 1442378
16/05/11 3 1 1 3 What a joke...wait 7 weeks for an appointment and another 5 weeks for followup. In the meantime, he says nothing and even dictates his report while you sit there. That might be useful if he didn't mumble the whole time. I found him arrogant, rude, non-responsive and disinterested.
Insurance: Anthem
RID: 1351052
31/01/11 5 5 5 5 I had significant pain radiating down my left arm, with associated numbness in my middle and index finger of my left hand. Family doctor recommended having an MRI and then review findings with Dr. Taban. MRI found a significant bulge coming out of my C7 disc. Was unable to function as the pain was relentless. I tried a variety of recommendations for heat and cold therapy, etc.. Nothing worked, even Vicadin was not helpful. Rarely could even sleep. I was only 51 and feared the rest of my life would be filled with misery and painkillers. After reviewing the MRI with Dr. Taban, it was clear that surgery should be considered and was likely the only real solution to my pain. Throughout the entire pre-op process I learned how highly regarded a Neurosurgeon Dr. Taban was.Many told me that he is the best Neurosurgeon, and considered the best by staff. I am so thankful I had the surgery as I am now pain free. My body that was once riddled with pain is now pain free. TY Dr. Taban!!!
Insurance: United Healthcare
Respond

29/12/10 SYSTEM: 2 positive duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 1149905
15/04/10 2 2 4 5 I met many Dr's before being refered to Dr.Taban I was impressed with his perfectionism. He replaced c3/4,c4/5,c5/6. cadavor disc's were used , I felt my surgery had been a complete success for the past 10yrs until pain in other parts of my body had suddenly made my life come to a complete STOP! Now that i need further surgery I can't seem to get him to tke me as a new Patient ( or old one ). I never really thought I would ever have to go threw this again. What once seemed to be the answer has now become a far bigger problem. Love your Spine !
Insurance: Aetna
RID: 966197
18/08/09 2 1 1 5 It is very hard to get a fast appointment with Dr. Taban. I had to wait 3 months to see him. The day of the appt. I get a call telling me he is in surgery and will have to reschedule for 3 weeks. Tells me to come back in 6 weeks and takes 2 1/2 months to get an appt. My appt is at 4pm I get a call at 2:30 letting me know he wont be in. Reschedule till September and it is August 18th. He does not tell you much other than what the report says. You need to fish answers from this guy. I am in a lot of pain and I need to wait 3 more weeks this is rediculous.
RID: 912992
14/06/09 1 1 1 3 I was a patient of Dr. Asher Taban's a few years ago - Recently I needed to see him again and was unable to get an appointment - I tried several times but got the run around - I have never encountered this before with any doctor (and I ahve seen alot of doctors). His staff is beyond unprofessional there are no words to describe them. He is a great surgeon but that is where it ends. If you are referred to him be cautious - it seems he does not like to deal with his patients unless they are under anesthesia.
Insurance: Medicaid / Medi-Cal