Rate Dr. John Shin

Dr. John Shin's Ratings

I could not have been more pleased. Dr. Shin is professional, knowledgeable, and charming. I have had to visit several specialists in various fields over the past few months and have to say my contact with Dr. Shin was by far the most rewarding. Dr. Shin was attentive when listening to my concerns and very respectful of even minor questions. He is a very knowledgeable ophthalmologist willing to take the time to make his patients feel confident in his skills. I left his office with a printed report that outlined my condition and his findings. I have not experienced that level of respect from any other specialist, the report is normally 'only' sent to my family Dr. and reviewed at a later date.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2498878].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 15, 2014

I have noticed some very rude comments regarding Dr. Shin on here. I can confidently say those comments are WRONG. Dr. Shin is one of the best eye doctor's I know. Every time my family and I visit he really takes the time to answer all our questions and consider our concerns. He is very well known and respected among those in the medical field, even my family doctor highly recommends him and praises his practice. Dr. Shin is an excellent person who cares about his patients. It is as plain and simple as that. Furthermore, his office is conveniently located with lots of free parking which is an added bonus. ...Dr. Shin you are doing an excellent job providing eye-care services to many, many people! God bless you for that. We are lucky to have an eye doctor like you, who takes great pride in his profession and helps people see better. My family and I are thankful to Dr. John Shin for taking care of our EYES!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2438886].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 27, 2014

Dr. Shin was able to listen to me thoroughly, explain things like astigmatism, glaucoma, and so on. The important thing that stands out in my mind is the depth of questions Dr. Shin asked regarding my family medical history during my visit. I found him to be attentive, sensitive to my concerns, and most importantly caring. I was satisfied with the answers he provided to me regarding the different eye conditions that my grandparents had and how/if they may affect me. As a science teacher with an analytical chemistry background and laboratory experience, I was quite impressed by his ability to discuss recent advances in his field in diagnosis and treatment. To me this speaks tomes about the interest Dr. Shin takes in his profession and his ability to carry out his job to the highest possible level.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2438885].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 2, 2014

Dr. Shin is a very caring and professional doctor. He took time to listen to me. He explained his diagnosis to me in plain language, even with drawing to ensure that I fully understood him. He detailedly described the options that were available to treat my eye problems. At the end of the visit, he even volunteered to give me a printout of his clinical notes. This is the first time that I received this extra service from a doctor. I had a great experience with Dr. Shin.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1027871].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 10, 2013

Dr Shin. You were dismissive and uninterested in my visual complaints of fatigue after reading long hours. Instead I found you unprofessional in your attempts to make me pay for a glaucoma test I know is otherwise covered by OHIP. What I find even more interesting are the similarities in context and syntax of almost all of your positive ratings. Sentence structure, and grammatical architecture indicate the same person writes these positive posts. I should know, I am a language professor at York University. I am assuming it is you yourself that has the time to monitor your own ratings and provide 60 affirmative posts when some of the best Ophthalmologists in the city can barely receive 10. My experience in your office, (and probably the few other legitimate posters) certainly is not in line with your "excellent" rating. Dr Shin, perhaps it is you that should apologize. And undoubtedly, I will receive a response from you, under the guise one of your patients defending your poor care.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1027870].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 20, 2013

My son recently developed esotropia. There are only three paediatric ophthalmologists (PO) in Ottawa and the average wait time is 6-24 months. We decided to contact POs in Toronto. During the search, Dr Shin's name popped up on this site as one of the highest rated O. I emailed him. Within half an hour, I received his response. He told me he does not usually see children under 10 but was willing to give my son a refined assessment and to refer my son to local POs. We saw him in one week. He was very gentle and playful with my son during a very thorough exam. He took his time to clearly explain things to us and gave us a medical report to keep. We have been keeping him updated on our appointments with POs. He always provides feedback quickly and even offers phone consultation if needed. He seems to have patient's best interest in mind and is very knowledgeable, courteous, open-minded, caring, and extremely generous of his time. He is the most dedicated doctor we have encountered!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1027869].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 18, 2013

Positive experience and results. Dr. Shin explained my condition and treatment well. The staff is extremely courteous and helpful. I am now much more confident that I am receiving the care that I need to preserve my vision!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1027868].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 17, 2013

This is my response to a recent rating: As a patient of Dr. John Shin for some time now I feel I must object in the strongest possible terms to your "opinion" or rating of him. First of all he is a consummate professional who has been there for me through a very harrowing time. Dr. Shin felt, in his opinionit was time for me to see a second Ophthalmologist, he referred me to Dr Slomovic at the Toronto Western Hospital, Professor of Ophthalmology at Toronto University and Research Director of the Cornea/External Disease Service at the Toronto Western. Cathy at the reception is a caring and helpful person. You have demonstrated poor written skills in your rating, a myopic sense of perception and have done an injustice to a fine doctor. So I suggest you take some courses in English, Social Studies and plain old fashioned proper listening. Lastly, you might consider apologizing to Dr.Shin.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1027867].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 16, 2013

I am a nurse who brought my mother to see Dr. Shin after she complained of eye pain and vision loss. She was prompted dismissed by him after a few minutes without an explanation. I pleaded with office to get a second visit with him and we were given the same abrupt treatment without an explanation. I got another option from a second MD who diagnosed angle closure glaucoma with vision loss. She has not has a laser and 2 operations. None of this was explained to my mother by Shin at all. Given I am a nurse, I did my own research. He has no hospital privileges, so does not operate. He has no affiliation with any of the ocular MDs I have spoken to. And his wait room is filled yet his listings claim he takes all the time needed? How can there be so many satisfied patients from so many people from such sub standard care? The best ophthalmologists in the city have only 15-20 patient testimonials, and he has 60? Beware to all. These testimonials do NOT match our experience.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1027874].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 6, 2013

On the worst snow day of the year, Thurs Feb 8th, we traveled 5 hrs. from the north to get a second opinion from Dr. Shin. Our roads and Toronto streets were terrible. Travelling home was not easy either, but the appointment with Dr. shin was worth the trip. I felt at ease with Dr. Shin. He explained all my concerns clearly and drew picture that further described what was going on in my eyes. Dr. Shin was friendly and never rushed the appointment. He took an interest in me not only as a patient but as a person. When I have more difficulty with my eyes all I have to do is call and he will give me an appointment. This takes a lot of stress off knowing someone is there to help when needed. No matter where you live, and you think you need a second opinion get one. It could save your vision. I highly recommend Dr. Shin. It was about two weeks from the time my family Dr. contacted Dr. Shin until I was in his office. You don't see that very often. I was really happy I found Dr.Shin

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1027866].votes_count ]]