Dr. Joseph Mauro

Grad. Year:

Answers Email: Unknown
Online Appt. Scheduling: Unknown
Accepting New Patients:Y

Profile updated 28/09/13    Submit profile update    Subscribe to profile updates

Rating: 4.1 out of 5 (5 is best), based on 19 reviews. Dr. Joseph Mauro has a good overall rating on RateMDs.com. smile

New! - Questions and answers about this doctor

Oral Surgeon-related: dental implants, tooth removal, TMJ, jaw surgery
The following ratings and comments have not been substantiated by RateMDs.com.
Date Staff Punctual Helpful Knowledge Review Comments
RID: 5501953
30/05/14 3 1 1 3 I got a dental procedure that required the use of antiobiotics but nobody told me that i needed to take them and nobody called them into the pharmacy for about a week after my procedure was done. (He told me this commonly happens "but it's the pharmacy's fault"). The sheet that I took home said to "take medications" and I assumed that meant tylenol. So when I came in next I calmly told Dr. Mauro that I was upset that no one told me I needed antibiotics and that I only found out about it a week later because the pharmacy called me to tell me my antibiotics and pain medications were ready. Instead of apologizing he blew up at me. Raised his voice and talked about how they would NEVER forget to tell a patient to take antibiotics and that "I must have not been paying attention when they told me about it". He ranted for a little while and then finished it up with a "so what you really meant to say was "I messed up and didn't listen properly"".
Paid (or co-pay): $1400
RID: 5427260

26/04/14 1 5 1 1 I previously had two wisdom teeth extracted by Dr. Mauro and found him to be pleasant and professional as was his assistant. I returned for a second extraction session for a wisdom tooth and it was not pleasant. His demeanor had changed considerably. I had read a review elsewhere that Dr. Mauro denied a patients request for nitrous gas and wouldn't explain to her why. I also requested the gas because I require a lot of shots to numb properly and I wanted to be assured of not having any issues with pain during the surgery. He didn't acknowledge my request for gas. He was "yes, yes, ok" about everything else then nothing when I said gas. When I was led into the surgery room, I saw the nitrous tank, could hear the gas flowing and the assistant was holding the mask. The doctor was behind me. After I sat down, nothing was said but the gas was audibly shut off. Very strange. I was never given the gas I requested, nor did he deny it verbally. He just ignored the request without comment.  Respond
RID: 3629068
10/12/13 5 5 5 5 My dentist referred me for extraction after my large molar cracked with a dental abscess. An endodontist I saw independently for 2nd opinion told me molar was a loss, and assured me that Dr Mauro would not extract a tooth he believed could be saved. Dr Mauro fit me into a very busy December schedule. I was very anxious and upset about losing my tooth. Office staff were friendly, efficient, and well-trained. Before proceeding, Dr Mauro interviewed me, reviewed and discussed my medical history, repeated X-rays & exam to confirm diagnosis and check the adjacent teeth and sinuse for damage. He answered all my questions, and we agreed on an anesthetic plan (I chose local). Every step of procedure was explained clearly beforehand. Extraction was painless, efficient and fast. His tech reviewed aftercare. I'm a health professional myself, and this is my second experience with an oral surgeon. Dr Mauro is skilled & knowledgeable, excellent surgeon. Recommend!!
Respond

09/10/13 SYSTEM: 2 negative duplicate or disallowed ratings automatically removed
RID: 2582274
11/03/13 2 4 2 4 Dr. Mauro was very rude, inconsideriate of my fears, would not use nitrous oxide when requested, showed anger and threw his tools on the tray...I would never reccomend Dr. Mauro to any friend.
RID: 2505044
18/12/12 5 5 5 5 Dr. Mauro is a wonderful, caring Doctor. My son's impacted wisdom teeth had to be removed and he was quite nervous about it. Dr. Mauro and his staff were professional and managed to put my son at ease with their great sense of humor and efficient process. I am recommending him to all my colleagues. I was very grateful to his staff for quickly working us into the schedule to accommodate my son's school schedule.
RID: 2493408
07/12/12 2 1 2 3 wasn't impressed with him and his nurse was very rude! Waited for over 1/2 hr. past my appt. time.
Insurance: BC Med
RID: 2004199
10/04/12 2 1 2 2 Had tooth extracted and everything went well but had to wait a lengthy time in the waiting area. On my next appointment I had to cancel my first schedule and completely missed my second appt (my fault). He would not reschedule with me. However, I find it completely arrogant that his time is so valuable but a patients time is not.  Respond
RID: 1739240
13/03/12 5 5 5 5 Doctor Mauro is an amazing surgeon. I had been suffering from TMJD for 3 years before anyone figured out what was wrong, and he was the one who figured it out. He recently did my jaw surgery and everything is feeling great and I am not in the pain from the TMJD anymore. He is a great doctor and a great surgeon and I would recommend him to everyone. He saved my life when nobody else cared to try to figure out why I was in pain, he believed me.
RID: 1556289
07/10/11 1 1 2 4 Office Manager is rude and staff has no customer service skills and no training in the field. Dr is very skilled but never runs on time nor does he care.
RID: 1538757
15/09/11 5 4 5 5 Today was the first time at this office. I needed a cracked molar extracted that was already prepped for a crown and had a partial root canal done.. Scared, scared, scared. Big baby I am. Dr. was understanding as was the staff and they were wonderful. Dr. took the time to answer questions and address concerns. The tooth came out without pain and was actually a very interesting procedure. They are a very caring group.  Respond
RID: 1516796
19/08/11 5 5 5 5 Our circumstances were unfortunate and had to get surgery for Chin & Jaw, but got fortunate to have Dr. Mauro perform the surgeries. No complications, no pain other than the injury, so great doctor great skills. Highly recommend!
RID: 1357565
08/02/11 5 5 5 5 I can't say enough about Dr. Mauro and his staff! The decision to use Dr. Mauro for my surgery was the best decision I've ever made regarding my health. He & his crew are rock stars in my book!
RID: 1265683
05/10/10 5 5 5 5 Dr. Mauro and his staff are among the finest you can have the opportunity to work with. I can say that since I have been in MANY Docs / Dentists / PT / Surgeons offices over the years. They add a new level to dedication and excellence. I recently had jaw surgery and I started to see Dr. Mauro and his staff in 2007. Immediately I was convinced of the capabilities and commitment exhibited by them. All questions answered cheerfully and anything the staff said they would do, they did and with a smile. When I had the surgery, Dr. Mauro and his staff were very attentive and kind. He was in to see me repeatedly, before surgery and after surgery making sure I was okay. I still see Dr. Mauro regularly and he is very kind and supportive. I also saw in the newspaper where he we doing volunteer work for the poor. I wasn't surprised when I read the article. If more folks operated like Dr. Mauro and his staff the world would truly be a better place. A well oiled machine. THANKS DR. MAURO AND STAFF!!
RID: 1088645
25/01/10 5 5 5 5 Had a skin tag type thing on the inside of my cheek surgically removed and he was awesome to say the least. Dr. Joseph Mauro has a wonderful sense of humor.
RID: 959289
10/08/09 5 4 5 5 Consulted Dr. Mauro for a second opinion. He spent plenty of time with my daughter and I, answering our many questions. Particularly impressed me with the options he offered along with complete explanations. The first dr. we saw offered only the most expensive treatment and did not even mention other options. Dr. Mauro gave his opinion, but did not push the "Cadillac" treatment. Also has a wonderful chairside manner. Will definitely return.
RID: 904828
04/06/09 5 5 5 5 Before being operated on by Dr. Mauro my jaw was dislocated and when I closed my mouth my teeth didn't touch at all. I dealt with a great deal of pain-so much so that I was hardly functional and had to leave my job. I flew from Nebraska to take advantage of his expertise and am amazed at the results. Not only was his staff extrememly helpful in getting things arranged for an out-of-town patient, his manner and level of compassion was incredibly helpful in easing any anxiety that I might have had about major surgery. And the RESULTS!!!!!!!!It's like I have a whole new life now-my mouth is much more functional and I'm even able to sing again! Dr. Mauro still follows up with me and works closely with my local dentist. I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome-THANKS DR. MAURO!!
Insurance: CIGNA
RID: 903201
02/06/09 5 5 5 5 Dr Mauro is the best. He was only scheduled to take out one of my son's impacted teeth but noticed another should come out. He took the time to contact his orthodontist to see if the other should be taken out as well. My son wanted to go to a dance and didn't want to be out of it so he happily rescheduled after our pre-surgury conference. When we came back he was happy to check some issues my son's father had with his own oral health , He has a great sense of humor and is very kind and caring. My son felt totally at ease with him as well. I HIGHLY recommend. His staff was excellent as well.  Respond
RID: 451540
28/11/07 5 5 5 5 Great staff. Knowledgeable about insurance and payments. Dr. Mauro informative, sensitive to his patients, has a sense of humor and very knowledgeable in his field. All in all, my experience was superb.
RID: 378009
02/08/07 3 5 4 3 Very arrogant.
Paid (or co-pay): $3000