Dr. John W. Vanderheide

Rate Dr. John W. Vanderheide

Dr. John W. Vanderheide's Ratings

One of the WORST doctor experiences I've ever had. My primary doctor referred me to see an OBGYN. I set up an appointment through Sansum asking for the next available appt and that happened to be with Dr. Vanderdick here. I was legitimately worried about all my symptoms. He dismissed literally every concern I raised, basically not listening to me at all. It seemed like because I am a woman in my 20s, and not pregnant, he must've assumed I must be perfectly healthy. MY PRIMARY REFERRED ME TO OBGYN FOR A REASON. I'M NOT HERE FOR****S AND GIGGLES, GUY. I'm paying to be here, at the very least could you PRETEND to be concerned? He was in the room with me for all of 5 minutes and he charged $160 for it. $160 for sticking his fingers in my vag for 5 seconds and shrugging "I dunno, lol" at everything I said. AVOID THIS GUY, HE IS USELESS. If you come to him with concerns he will make you feel like a stupid hypochondriac and then charge you for merely gracing you with his presence.

Submitted June 10, 2013 | flag

Dr. was amazing he took really good care of me and my baby. I was having complications during my birth and he not just made me feel safe and preformed an outstanding labor for me but he also made me laugh . I highly recommend him he's very experience and one of the best, or the best!

Submitted Jan. 31, 2013 | flag

Dr. Vanderheide is not respectful. Poor bedside manner is an understatement. In the delivery room recently where the baby was stuck turned he literally hurt my wife without explaining what he was going to do, and why, and that there would be some pain. He just did it. And my wife groaned about how much it hurt, to which he explained in a very raised voice "this is going to help you and the baby" after which he threw his gloves off and stormed out of the room. I was ready to hit the man. The nursing staff was shocked as well. Prior to this my wife stopped seeing him as her OBGYN due to poor bed side manner. Unfortunately with Sansum you don't know who will be on duty when you are there to deliver your baby. We had the unfortunate luck that he was there, and up to usual poor standards.

Submitted Jan. 4, 2013 | flag

He was great; highly recommend him. Knows his stuff and explains it well. He removed an ovarian cyst for me with no complications. Could not have been better.

Submitted Oct. 26, 2012 | flag

I was with another MD in the group, but Dr. V was on call the day I delivered. I had a complicated delivery, but felt safe and taken care of. He is knowledgeable and understanding. I have a small pelvis and had an over 9 lb baby; it just was not happening vaginally. My c- section was great. I was up and walking/breastfeeding/etc within hours. I feel fortunate to have found him!

Submitted July 16, 2012 | flag

I was nervous about going to him after the "horror" stories. However I also head great things about him as well. The bad experiences made me so nervous that he was the only one I didn't want to deliver me. I WAS WRONG. It was VERY difficult to get me into labor and he was great. He made us laugh and kept the situation light. He mentioned c-section after 5 days and I said no.(nothing was wrong wtih the baby he said) He respected that and broke my water checking on my every few hours. He even was suppotive of no c-section to the last minute when he gave me a choice of c-section, forcepts or vacuum when problems arose. Would not be disappointed for him to deliver me next time!

Submitted June 26, 2012 | flag

Do not go to him for a birth if you want to avoid surgical intervention unless an emergency. I was in labor, doing fine. I wanted more time before surgical intervention. He said he would give me half hour. He then came in 10 minutes later and said "I am getting that baby out of there. What do you want, vaccum forceps or c section" There was no emergency but he seemed to be telling me if I did not agree to vaccum or forceps he would be sending me in for a c section. He then did an episiotomy without my permission. 2 years later I still have horrible pain and scarring. My baby was only 6 pounds, normal head size, great agpars. The doctor was just uncomfortable with how long unmedicated births take.

Submitted Aug. 31, 2011 | flag

Dr. Vanderheide's bedside manner is atrocious. During my 36 week pregnancy visit I was told that I was having my Group B strep test, and no vaginal exam. When he came in I asked about the vaginal to double check, as I did not want this exam. He told me that he was not going to do the vaginal, only "check my cervix." Ummm, yes, that is what a vaginal exam is. After doing the Group B strep test, I asked him why he wanted to perform the vaginal exam. He said, "its just something we have to do... if you're hanging out at 3cm, we need to know." Despite my obvious discomfort with the situation, he put his fingers up inside me, roughly. I sat up and said STOP. He did, then leaned back and put his feet up on the exam table, and asked, "You seem anxious... it is ME?" YES, it is you. I vowed never to go back to the practice and scheduled a homebirth with midwives the next day. I had an amazing birth; perhaps I should actually thank this idiot.

Submitted April 5, 2011 | flag

I found Dr. Vanderheide to be very approachable, knowledgeable and competent when I had my hysterectomy. I would highly recommend him as a person who can be trusted with your health.

Submitted March 19, 2011 | flag

He is a very good doc. I've been a patient of his for 15 years. He did my hysterectomy and also has taken very good care of my two older sisters. He's the best!

Submitted March 4, 2009 | flag