Rate Dr. Samuel Timothy Summers

Dr. Samuel Timothy Summers's Ratings

Dr Summers was my doctor for 10 years. I found it worked best if I wrote out everything I needed to say to him and then handed him what I'd written. He listened well and always dealt with my symptoms. The problems came whenever he referred me to another doctor or specialist. Everyone he referred me to was horrible and has a bad reputation in the medical community. Once he sent me to a heart surgeon who wanted to put in a stent. A 2nd opinion from a reputable cardiologist looking at Dr. Summers own test results found absolutely no reason for him to send me to a cardiologist in the first place. The cardiologist he sent me to is infamous among Memphis doctors and nurses working in cardiology. He was going to operate and install a stent in my heart which I did not need. It would net him $20,000 in insurance money though. Beware of Dr Summers' references.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068466].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 28, 2012

He's been my PCP for years and he has a very calming nature about him. Informative and upfront about my concerns.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068465].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2012

Dr. Summers has been my doctor for over 25 years. He is very caring and competent. He loves to say "bless your heart," but his bedside manner is to be commended. One thing I really like about him is that when my wife and I were raising our two children we never felt the need to use a pediatrician. He was also very careful to really listen to my wife when she had an opinion about one of the kids he was never dismissive and viewed her as a partner and helpful in better understanding what was going on. I cannot say enough good about him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068464].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Aug. 28, 2011

Did not listen to my symtoms at all. Prescibed something that I reacted to and then told me I was better.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068463].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 22, 2011

I have always found Dr. Summers to be pleasent and helpful. He is a wonderful doctor.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068462].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 7, 2010

Dr. Summers is one of the best doctors that I have ever encountered. He is very caring and thorough.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068461].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 11, 2009

Dr Summers has an 8-5 mentality. Dr Summers didn't like my suggestions for my treatment: irritated at informed pt. If differences in understanding arise, problem is always with pt. Dr Summers kept me waiting 3 hrs beyond appt. Didn't get my prescriptions right and was irritated when I asked staff for new 'scripts. Sent ltr dismissing me from his practice. Practice has standard "patient dismissal" form letter so must have a lot of pt problems. Better than a free clinic

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068460].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 29, 2009

Adequate physician. Knowledgeable in his field. One of the Univ of Tenn clique. Cannot stand patient corrections. Refers to other physicians automatically (probably to keep his insurance rates down.) Does not like to be bothered by after appt issues. Staff cannot contol waiting room. Staff does not communicate with waiting patients as to time of wait( emergency treatment, overuns, etc) Does not like patient reading pt's chart. Wants to treat the immediate problem- up to the patient to bring follow-on issues up. Will drop patients with form letter if off-appointment needs such as prescription rewrites or error corrections use his time. Does not communicate to patient what his issues with patient are. Practice oriented for most profit. In spite of all above Dr Summers is a competent physician- it is his practice's procedures which most inhibit a better rating.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068459].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted March 4, 2009

I went in because my back went out. I have a documented medical condition in regards to my back and a prior surgery. I asked him to send me to a pain management clinic for a direct injection and he said I could make that appointment on my own. Then he told me to go to a neurosurgeon and have him order an MRI. Well, the pain clinic won't see me without an MRI and the Neurosurgeon won't see me without one either. When I called his office to have him schedule one for me and get me to the pain clinic I was told "it would be awhile." UNACCEPTABLE. I am now in contact with my previous neurosurgeon (in another state!) and he is getting more done for me than Dr. Summers. I am so disappointed.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068458].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 19, 2008

Dr. Summers was my doctor for 20 years while I was living in Memphis. Even returned to see him after moving out of state until gas prices, etc., made it prohibitive. Let me say in in one word. He was a "sweetheart". Other doctors could learn a lot from his bedside manner. Very knowledgable and up to date on his medicine. I will miss him.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1068457].votes_count ]]