Rate Dr. Stanley Eng

Dr. Stanley Eng's Ratings

I have worn glasses since I was a young child. As an adult I switched to contact lenses and then had Lasik surgery in 2000 to correct my extreme nearsightedness and astigmatism. In 2010 I had some concerns with my eye health and went to see Dr. Eng for the first time. He examined my eyes thoroughly and reassured me the changes in my vision were not due to anything serious. He did recommend reading glasses which surprised me as I was coping just fine with close up and I opted for progressive lenses as I wanted clearer distance vision as I was straining a bit when driving. When my glasses arrived I told the receptionist that these couldn't be my glasses, I couldn't see with them! She reassured me that I just needed to try them for a bit. Four days later I was back in the office. The staff made sure my glasses were adjusted properly, remeasured my pupillary distance, and assured me the glasses were the correct prescription. I few weeks later I went back to the office when Dr. Eng was present and asked him to recheck my eyes as I felt the prescription was wrong. He refused and said I just needed to take the time to adjust to the glasses. When I questioned this as I was familiar with getting used to a new pair of glasses he dismissed and belittled me in front of his staff. But I couldn't see properly, I saw better without the glasses! After two months I asked that my progressives be changed to a pair of reading glasses and a pair of distance glasses. This cost me extra. I found the reading glasses to be ok but got headaches when trying to drive with the distance glasses so I stopped wearing them. I was so disheartened and upset by my experience with Dr. Eng I waited four years to see another optometrist. I took my old pair of glasses with me when I saw her. Though very diplomatic and outwardly not critical of Dr. Eng she told me the correction for astigmatism was incorrect in my glasses and that because my eyes were quite complicated I would not be happy with progressive lenses unless I paid a lot of money for very high quality lenses and that she didn't recommend them for me at this time because I was coping well with near and middle vision! The glasses she prescribed for me are perfect! I will never see Dr. Eng again would not recommend anyone to him. I see come people have been very happy with him in the past and those who have done well with him are the only people who should see him. Don't take the chance if you are a new patient, it's worth it to drive down island. Trust me, I learned the hard way.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2609226].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 6, 2014

Dr Eng sells low grade lenses for high prices. He has a bad reputation in Port Hardy. I will never go to him again.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2554884].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 28, 2014

My Husband went to Dr eng for an eye exam after failing his eye test in 2013 for class 1 license. He is 67 years old and never wore glasses. Dr eng told him he needs glasses and sold him bifocals which he never got used to. He complained but staff always told him to be patient. He went in this year to do the exam again for the class 1 and failed the test with the glasses on. When he took the glasses off he passed the test. He went to another Optomotrist who told him he doesn't even need bifocals, just reading glasses. Dr Eng is only in business for the money. I would not recommend him to anyone. I have heard alot of people say this.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2441515].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 27, 2014

I had a bad experience with Dr. Eng and his staff. They pressured me into getting bi-focals which cost of 400 dollars. But I almost fell down stairs and sidewalks because my eye glasses could not focus as fast as maybe another person. I asked to have normal lenses put into my existing frames which cost 200 dollars and with the extra 200 dollars I wanted to get just an extra pair of reading glasses..........well to make a long story short. They said they would replace my bi focals with reading only glasses but would not refund any money nor will he let me get another pair of glasses and frames for the 200 dollars owed to me. bad business. I will keep the bifocals cause what good would it do me other than be out 200 dollars. I will ask for my prescription and go elsewhere and with that I will take all my family and friends with me. I think they are only in it for the money. They don't care that I almost fell and had I fallen there would have been a lawsuit against him;BAD BUSINESS

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2441514].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 16, 2014

Dr. Eng is a long time Eye Doctor on Vancouver Island. He has a practise in Nanaimo, Port Hardy and he used to go to Port Alberni but the last location I am not sure of. He is very thorough and never misses a thing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1090611].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted May 29, 2013

I went ti Dr Eng for the first time a couple of weeks ago and was not impressed. Like one of the other entries I found got irritated when I was unsure of the different lens differences, I was not given a prescription for new lenses when I left and when I asked the staff member looked at me like I was crazy. I have not worn glasses before so was trying on frames in the office where I was completed ignored while they fawned over a younger more hipper customer. Doubt whether I will go back

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1090610].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted July 5, 2012

Dr Eng was very friendly and personable when I had my eyes tested. Spoke of things we'd talked about three years previously when I was last there. Explained the findings of his exams. Gave me options for eye care. Only negative was that when in the waiting room I could clearly hear his conversation with the patient before me.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1090609].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 17, 2012

I've been to Dr. Eng a few times, but the last was really bad. Fees, which had to be paid up front, were higher than what I was quoted on the phone, for reasons that could have been clarified during the phone call. Dr. Eng rushed me through the appointment, becoming impatient with me when I couldn't tell which lens combinations worked best. Passed me off to staff, who could not answer my questions and had to call him back. He was very stiff and dismissive, obviously irritated with me. I just wanted to go, but they tried to sell me on their overpriced frames on the way out. Definitely won't be back.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1090608].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 10, 2011

Love Dr.Eng! I have been going to him for 20 years and he and his staff are always friendly, helpful, and profesional. I am very surprised to see the negative comments.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1090607].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Oct. 24, 2011

I've been going to Dr. Eng since he first hung his shingle out 30 years ago. Every visit has been a pleasant experience, and I've always been satisfied with my glasses. The staff, and I've met many over the years, have always been knowledgeable and helpful.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][1090606].votes_count ]]