You may also like

Rate Dr. Michael S. Downey

Dr. Michael S. Downey's Ratings

Helped me with my ankle pain when no one else could or would. I had dislocating peroneal tendons on the outside of my ankle. It did require surgery, but it was worth it. The pain and dislocations are gone now!

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2838196].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 15, 2015

My problem started 1 year ago today. I sprained my ankle, while on vacation, then sprained it again 2 weeks later. My medical dr. Sent me to get a MRI , and I did and it showed I had a really bad sprain I saw a orthopedics dr. The day after my MRI, and was put in the "removable boot" for almost 6 months..I didn't really think about it until my ankle became worse. I went to the same orthopedic dr. And they said it was healing okay. But, it wasn't I was in tremendous pain.So, I left that group who by the way I NEVER saw a Dr. There I was always different, pa's. So NO ONE was helping me.because, I never saw the same pa.i went back to my medical dr. Who is Awesome, and HE said let's get another MRI, which showed a "A Talus Fracture. So, I saw 3 other orthopedic dr.'s But NONE of them were surgeons we found out after a few visits with EACH one...they would say try the boot again, and then I was getting really bad ankle pain, and MY Dr. Ordered another MRI which was done on February 1st of this year, and it showed "The Talus Fracture" was still there and now I had developed "Avascular Necrosis " in my ankle.the pain has been unbearable! and I have 3 kids that I need to take care of... So, this nightmare was getting worse.Then a friend mentioned to get a appointment with Dr. Downey. I was so excited and hopeful that I was finally going to a Orthopedic Dr. My visit didn't go as well as I had planned. He told me I needed to wear "the Boot " or get a "Cast put on it" for 6 weeks,I picked the cast. But, I need to call their office tomorrow.because, the cast is really,really loose. I'm just beyond frustrated now, and he said surgery wasn't a option at this point. But, my Dr . Wrote "Needs evaluation for surgery" this has gone on way to long !! So, I felt he didn't really listen to me, and I took a folder I've kept with ALL my MRI's, names of ALL dr.'s I've seen.so, I made sure to dot my eyes and cross my t's.. Just feeling extremely helpless and not sure what to do now..any suggestions would be extremely helpful. Sorry this post is so long, I just needed to tell my story just in case their was anyone out there experiencing the same thing.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2830144].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted June 7, 2015

I had surgery with Dr. Rankin at rothman, he destroyed my foot. I walked in and after my surgery I could not walk again. Dr Downey was the only doctor that said he could fix my foot" He fixed it 100%. I love him and his staff. The woman in the office are so nice.Thank you Dr.Downey for giving me my life back.. He's truly the Best doctor.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2777889].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted April 15, 2015

The best in Philadelphia! Everyone recommends him, and he is THAT good!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2663934].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Dec. 27, 2014

I was in constant pain before going to see Dr. Downey. I had 6 previous foot surgeries performed by other doctors and both my feet were a mess. Truly, before someone told me about Dr. Downey, I had given up hope of walking or exercising without pain. He spent almost a hour with me evaluating my foot, learning about my past and current problems, and looking at my x-rays and MRI. He honestly told me that surgery may or may not help, but I decided to go forward with it. The first foot turned out so well, I did the second foot. Now, I am back to running, hiking, and walking - I could not do ANY of this before Dr. Downey fixed my feet. Are the feet perfect...no...are they much better...YES! I hope my feedback will help others find this wonderful doctor! He is a godsend!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2602942].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Nov. 1, 2014

Dr. Downey is everything you would want in a physician - competent, kind, and caring. He treats you like a family member. He is a top rated surgeon, and the top foot and ankle surgeon at the University of Pennsylvania. He fixed both my feet after previous failed foot surgeries. I could not walk or wear anything but Frankenstein shoes. Now I'm running again and wearing pumps. I am in the medical profession, and I see and know a lot of doctors and surgeons. Dr. Downey is amongst the best. If you need foot or ankle surgery, go see him. You will not regret it!

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][2527601].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 7, 2014

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2513045].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 25, 2014

My experience with Dr. Downey has not been good. I went in to have one hammer toe repaired 10 months ago. As of today, I am unable to walk without pain. The pain is much worse now than before he performed the surgery. I can no longer do all the things I once loved. There are no more long walks, or hikes. His wait time is off-the-charts! Expect to wait anywhere from 2 to 4 hours before he can see you. Maybe he was good at one time but I highly recommend doing your research and go somewhere else.

Was this rating useful? 0 [[ userState['ratings'][2493131].votes_count ]]

Submitted Aug. 12, 2014

Dr. Downey is everything everyone has stated about him! He is truly an outstanding physician and surgeon who puts his patient first. This combined with his extraordinary skills as a doctor and surgeon leads to his great results. I was a little leery about the reports of long waits for Dr. Downey, but my experiences have been very good. There usually is a little bit of a wait in his waiting room, but when you're there, all you hear is the other patients talking about their pain relief and successful results with this gem of a doctor! I also have learned to call ahead about an hour before my appointment time to see if the doctor is on time. His office staff lets me know exactly when to come in when I do this, I hardly ever have to wait. I had botched bunion surgery by another surgeon,on both of my feet, and Dr. Downey has now fixed both feet. I can now walk and run without pain and in normal shoes. I can even wear a small heel without any pain at all! Thank you Dr. Downey!

Was this rating useful? 2 [[ userState['ratings'][1113324].votes_count ]]

flag | Submitted Sept. 27, 2013

Dr. Downey is an extremely knowledgeable and accomplished surgeon...I recommend him highly. The staff and scheduling headaches are another thing. If you are patient and don't mind waiting 6-9 months to have your surgery...then you are good. It takes 4 months to get your first appointment, then 30 days for each subsequent appt. One office staff member is rude. I went to another surgeon because of the staff member and feeling frustrated that after waiting so long to get to the point of being able to schedule surgery, I was chastised by a rude secretary for not making up my mind at the last appt...therefore I had to have yet another appointment in another 30+ days...and on it went like this. Dr. Downey deserves better support from his staff.

Was this rating useful? 1 [[ userState['ratings'][1113323].votes_count ]]