Bay Health Kent General

Hospital

Rate Bay Health Kent General

Ratings for Bay Health Kent General

Value

Absolutely gouged me with my son's ER visit. I own a small business, and thus can't afford insurance. To give you an idea, the Bronze plan for BCBS would have cost me $650 a month ($7,800 a year)... doable until you consider it comes with a $12,000 family deductible... total for the year: $19,800. Anyway... my 4 y/o son had appendicitis symptoms... stomach was hurting, lethargic, 104 fever. After 10 minutes there he was triaged and told to go back to the waiting room. There he sat for about 45 minutes... not too bad, until they had a room. Another hour the doctor evaluated him. I didn't mind it took a couple hours, I'm just setting it up to tell you that they charged for a LEVEL 4 ER visit. That's level 4 out of a possible 5 levels... where 5 is horrible trauma where they're putting you back together. The doctor gave him an examination, brief (less than 5 minutes) but somewhat thorough. The test came back negative. Then it was time for a white blood count to see if it spiked and he had a nasty infection. Right after the blood collection, they put in an IV butterfly needle... fairly simple stuff. The WBC test came back negative. They then really pressed for a CT scan which I thought was not needed, but they said 'it's still possible he could have appendicitis', so I said okay. The CT scan came back negative and we were given the standard 'must be a virus' and sent home. Now I am going to attempt to list the amount of staff that interacted with my son and for how long: 3 nurses... maybe 20 - 30 minutes... let's call it a whole hour each... and let's say they each make $40 an hour (which they don't) = 3 x $40 = $120 2 CT techs who ran my son through the CT for an abdomen scan with contrast. The entire procedure was less than 10 minutes. Let's say for fun they each took a whole hour to set up everything and do the scan. Let's say they each make $40 an hour. 2 x $40 = $80. The ER doctor who interacted with him was maybe 10 minutes. Let's say he spent an additional 50 minutes looking at his results and his case work. Let's say he makes $200 an hour (which he certainly does not). So the cost of the people that interacted with my son, well overestimated would have cost $400. Oh, I forgot the lab workers... let's say two of them at $40 an hour (sure)... and let's say the checking ER woman... let's give her a full hour at $40 too. That's another $120... which would bring the total to $520... and it's probably around a quarter of that, since these people do not make that much AND they actually worked with him less than 15 minutes each. So now I would like for them to justify billing me $6,350... $1,950 for the ER room (level 4)... $1,000 for IV procedures... $3,750 for the CT. Oh, and the ER visit level 4 was apparently based on the type of room... being that the ER doctor's bill is totally separate for the ER bill. So how in the world do they bill a level 4 visit and it doesn't even take into consideration the doctor's bill? Shouldn't that be the bill that reflects the level of difficulty? (and there is NO WAY this visit constitued a level 4). Yes, I was bill nearly $2,000 for the emergency room and a separate bill from a 'physician's group' for $1,273 for his less than an hour of work on my son. I looked up normal costs for CT abdomen scans w/ contrast in this area... they are around $450 to $650. I understand this is a hospital, it's an emergency... but there is no reason to gouge people to such a ridiculous point. I even realize most hospitals are expensive, but in comparison to others, BayHealth is higher than most, and I have yet to figure out why. They aren't Magnet status... they didn't make it (again)... and god forbid when they do. I'm sure they'll add another couple thousand to the bill just because. If you can go to any other hospital in the area that isn't BayHealth (if that's possible) I would if I was you. You no doubt will pay less. Lastly... I tried to get them to lower the last ridiculous ER bill and unlike many other hospitals, they aren't interested. They point out that they give you 12% discount automatically for paying cash, like that somehow makes up for making the bill three to four times more than it should be in the first place.

flag | Submitted May 20, 2015

THEY TOOK SUCH GOOD CARE OF ME.BEST HOSPITAL EVER.THANK YOU

flag | Submitted October 23, 2014

Value

A great hospital especially for cardiac care.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2013

Doctors at Bay Health Kent General

We don't currently know which doctors work at this location.