Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital

Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital

Hospital

Rate Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital

Value

Success! Your rating has been saved.

Ratings for Oakville Trafalgar Memorial Hospital

Value

In May 2017, I went to the ER where I had to wait 21 hours to see a psychiatrist, because the psychiatrist who was on call didn't want to come in on Sunday evening but wanted to wait until the following morning. Other than him, the doctors and nurses were for the most part available and helpful and even pleasant. All in all a good example of how well the Canadian medical system works.

Submitted June 18, 2017 | flag

Value

I have been to this ER twice since the new site opened. On the first visit, I came in around 4:30 pm on a Friday. I was triaged rather quickly but then I waited about 90 minutes to have bloodwork done and then was sent to area A waiting room. Another 90 minutes later I was sent to area C waiting room. From what I understood, the nurses in area A did not think I was serious enough to be there and sent me to area C, which is a less urgent area. As someone who had a heart attack not all that long ago and has some serious chronic health issues, I wasn't too comfortable being "demoted" as a patient but I also don't like to complain as I have seen nurses and doctors purposely make a patient who complained or voiced their concerns, wait longer to be seen. It's horrible but I've seen it done many many times. I was a hospital employee (in the ER) for 5 years and I have been dealing with chronic illness and visiting the ER multiple times a year for the last 11 years, and I have seen A LOT with regard to how some "professionals" treat their patients. Anyway, I did not see an actual physician until 4 hours later (Dr. Partridge was very kind, listened intently and treated me with respect and as the knowledgeable patient that I am). I did not get any treatment for another hour as the nurses (although very nice) seem to run at their own pace. There is seemingly no urgency to their actions. It took two different nurses to get a line in me and when they did finally get one in, it was in a spot where significant nerve damage could have been done. I did mention that when the nurse said she was going to go there and she kind of threw up her hands and said "well where else can I go? Your veins are a mess!". It's true, I am banged up, but 11 years and MANY pokes (and misses by inexperienced or impatient nurses) have left me with many scars and much scar tissue. After some treatment, I was discharged after I approached the doctor myself and asked to go home. 8 hours is very long time to receive routine care. Everyone was kind but either they are under staffed for the size of their department (the ER is MASSIVE) or they really just don't care to help people in a fast, efficient manner. I've only waited longer for treatment in a much smaller ER and when my vitals were not as bad as they were on this particular day.

On my second visit, I came in around 6 am. I did not wait at all to be triaged, and had bloodwork done within a half hour. On both my visits, bloodwork was done before I saw the doctor but the nurse who drew the blood did not put in a saline lock. This meant I had to be poked more than once. I almost ALWAYS require IV intervention and having less than perfect veins and lots of scars, it would make sense for a saline lock to be put in at the time of bloodwork being done. It saves the patient being poked a minimum of two times. Just a suggestion. About another half hour later I was placed in a stretcher. The nurse came in almost immediately and within a few minutes had put in my IV and obtained orders from the physician to give me a small dose of pain and nausea meds. I waited another 2.5 hours to actually speak to a doctor but once I did, things moved quickly and I was very well managed, with pain relief available to me every hour. It was wonderful to be seen by staff that seemed to understand my condition (I have a somewhat rare, chronic condition that can sometimes be overlooked or treated incorrectly), seemed to trust my knowledge of my condition and what I needed and let me go home when I was ready to go home.

OTMH is a bit of a drive for me but I will likely go there again if I need help. Although the service is somewhat slow, I feel confident that if I was in a life-threatening emergency, I would be well cared for. Both physicians I encountered were kind, actually listened to me (and my knowledge of my conditions), provided me with adequate pain and nausea management and let me make decisions for myself (let me go home when I was ready).

Submitted June 14, 2017 | flag

Value

My daughter was taken on June 5 with a suspected case of Dengue Fever contracted while travelling overseas. Her skin had severe skin discoloration (deep / dark red - with white patches) and was weak with due to a 103 degree fever she had a couple of days earlier. Shr barely could take any food nor keep it down. TheTriage the nurse used Google to look for symptoms which should have been a red flag to us.
After a 4 hour stay at 2 a.m the next morning blood work was done and the doctor advised us that since her liver enzymes were elevated they would call us with a referral to internal medicine.
Although we received a call with an appointment for June 12 - no details of blood test results were given. Today (june 12) the doctor at the internal medicine unit advised us that she in fact did have Dengue Fever. The doctor was surprised that we were not informed. Dengue Fever can be life threatening and yet the staff at the Oakville Hospital did not seem to think the patient and family needed to be cautioned.
This is a brand new facility but the attitude AND the APTITUDES of the staff does not give us any confidence on the level care.
Nurses were chatting in corridors although patients were lined up waiting in Triage. There was a total apathy in the way patient care was addressed.

Submitted June 12, 2017 | flag

I was in this hospital
Staff were jug dementia over human emotions.
They almost did a ECGin the middle of the hallway. If it was not for me the patient asserting my self it would have been done with a sheet surrounding me.
Staff are so worried that i asked for the ECG to be done in a patients room they thought it was not good practice because of infection
Sorry to tell you all patients have been in four beds in a room on isolation it would not of matter what matters is that. I was exposed to all infections because I was in the middle of the hallway and when I could not sleep because of the bells and bright lights I say in a chair that could only be placed under a large vent

Submitted June 4, 2017 | flag

Value

Emergency wait times can be excessive
- 21 hours to see a shrink.

Submitted May 30, 2017 | flag

Value

I think my infant son would not have made it if we stayed at this HORRIBLE hospital. Nurses are ignorant and talk about things they should not be discussing around patients. Did not care that my son was laying almost lifeless in a waiting for hours before even getting any attention. I finally grabbed my son and drove him to Mcmaster childrens hospital where he was treated immediately and admitted for pnemonia and another bacterial infection. Awful, awful, awful!! Do not bring your children or anyone you love to this disgusting hospital. Do a background check on your nursing staff, are you sure these people even went to school? Seems like they have no idea what to to except sit around and treat people like garbage and gossip about their personal lives

Submitted May 30, 2017 | flag

Great staff.
I felt respected
No waiting , I've been there overnight
Nurses would come and check me every 5 minutes
Dr. Liske (gynaecologist) was great

Submitted May 22, 2017 | flag

Value

My husband went in Oakville Trafalgar Hospital last year with bleeding of the lungs. Terminal Cancer Thymoma He came home with MRSA .
I refused to let him come home . Our son and I live in the house.
They called the police and were going to charge me.
So I had to let him back in or I was going to be charged by the police.
Our life has been hell Thank You DARLENE
I will go to Credit Valley never again will I go or recommend OTMH
VERY POOR COMUNICATION

Submitted May 11, 2017 | flag

Value

They treat patients like dollar signs. Poor communication with doctors. Can't believe the conversations I have heard at the nurses station. The nurse practitioner is rude. No empathy to the patient. Very disappointed with the level of care my family member received. No doctor could answer our repeated questions and concerns. We felt like our concerns were being dismissed.

Submitted May 1, 2017 | flag

Value

I had an ear surgery at OTMH on February 26th. The anesthesiologist, the nurses at the day surgery and Dr. Philip Lai took such good care of me and made me feel very comfortable. A big thank you to all of you who worked that morning.

Submitted April 30, 2017 | flag