BC Cancer Agency - Vancouver Island

Hospital

Rate BC Cancer Agency - Vancouver Island

Ratings for BC Cancer Agency - Vancouver Island

Value

Having to deal with the BC Cancer Agency (my partner had esophageal cancer) on VI was the worst experience I've ever had in my life, and I will never get over it. From the constant delays, the demented, down right cruel, oncologists, the lack of information and/or assistance provided has destroyed my life and caused the death of my partner. BCCA Van Island is not the place to go if you want any chance of remission or cure. If you are looking for PTSD or never have the ability to smile again, then go!

flag | Submitted July 8, 2019

Value

I was referred to this location for further study of my condition. I found cleanliness above reproach, as was the food services section. Like any large facility its difficult finding your way around, but help is always nearby. Nurses - I was literally stunned by the quality and professionalism of the nursing staff. I asked what I thought was a regular nurse some questions...only to find out she was new staff. Fully trained! Doctors - of course - busier than one might think possible...but still had time to answer any questions.. Like to point out that Dr. and nurses in this field are extremely busy - every day. It may seem they aren't listening or hearing you...but they are. Keep your questions and explanations short. Its to your benefit!

flag | Submitted March 18, 2019

Value

I was under the impression Doctors were Nice and Skilled here??. Boy was I wrong!! I have just Received My Report a Year Later. What I read, was Shockingly Disturbing!!, There were Outragious Blatant Lies!!. And Dr. Oluyede, my Gyne in Nanaimo, had Appeased the Bidding of Dr. Mona Mazgani!. Who Deliberately added Foreign Material to my Abdomin, to Punish Me!!, Because, I said, that I was going to keep my Overies!!. This Foreign was to cause me Pain, Ongoing Infection and Ripping Flesh, which it has!! and also it can be Fatal!. So the BC Government is having to send me Out of province to have another surgery, to have this Foreign Material Removed!!. The Criminal Term for this is, "Intent to Cause Bodily Harm!! I suppose in Africa and Iran, this is Common Practice!!, Although it is NOT! in Canada!!. I'm sending my Story to the 5th Estate! to be Investigated! And people's Story's are Aired on TV!. So Beware of Smiling Professionals!!

flag | Submitted January 8, 2019

Value

Great facility - unfortunately it's 4 1/2 hours from my home, but have had very positive assistance on my trips.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2018

Value

Unfortunately, I have required the type of services the BCCA provides, for a couple of years (and counting). Fortunately, I am receiving those services from the BCCA. The BCCA is a model for other health-care providers to emulate.

flag | Submitted October 30, 2018

Value

I hope I never have to go there. My spouse lead a very clean life and somehow developed lung cancer. Because lung cancer is terminal I had the impression what the doctors were doing was just lip service. They rushed in to a meeting and rushed out leaving us with many questions. The counselling staff was okay but IMO unless they have experienced a situation like this, they have no real answers. We were afraid to say much because anything which sounds like hurting oneself raises a red flag. The cancer went to the brain and there was no empathy. This caused death. After seeing about 6 oncologists, a handful of nurses and some counsellors nobody even bothered to phone or drop by to express sympathy. My spouse was just a number.

flag | Submitted April 10, 2018

Value

The quality of service, provision of treatment, attitude of the professionals and facility environment were all excellent. Though they must have thousands of patients, I felt a high level of individual attention and interest. It has made me convinced that salaried (well-paid of course) doctors (oncologists, etc.) and public facilities are a much better option for quality health care than fee for service, income motivated medicine.

flag | Submitted September 20, 2017

Value

Excellent help all the time. Prompt responses on all inquiries. Appointments are scheduled with lots of lead time.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2017

Value

The worse health care centre I've had been to. Most of the nurses who work for the agency's nurse line are rude, unprofessional and are zero help. The on call doctors don't bother calling you back and blame you for not calling back to follow up or just don't know the answer to any of your questions. The blood services staff have made many mistakes with my files and blood samples. The specialists forget to send you important requisitions, etc. I can write a book about all the issues I've had with this agency and I'm just a new patient. Dealing with cancer is already stressful and the agency makes the stress level go up to the roof instead of helping you have a less stressful life.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2017

Doctors at BC Cancer Agency - Vancouver Island

Dr. Zia Poonja

Dr. Zia Poonja

Latest Rating

I have stage 4 breast cancer and I am so grateful that Dr. Poonja is my doctor. I dont know how many breast cancer doctors there are on the island (I think there are... Read more

Dr. Elaine Wei

Dr. Elaine Wei

Latest Rating

Dr. Wai, helped me ver much. She answered all my questions in a manner which I was able to understand clearly. She is very patient and a good listener. I honestly... Read more

Dr. Doran Ksienski

Dr. Doran Ksienski

1 review

Latest Rating

Excellent clear precise and direct. Highly recommend. Knowledgeable and up to date.