Surrey Memorial

Surrey Memorial

Hospital

Rate Surrey Memorial

Value

Success! Your rating has been saved.

Ratings for Surrey Memorial

Value

I am a heart patient and was recently admitted to SMH. The Government has spent a lot of money on the expansion of this hospital - if only more care and diligence was taken to select the staff. I found the nurses in the Cardiac Care Unit unfriendly and unprofessional expect for one (she was a young nurse who went over and above her duty). There is a big difference between the day and night shifts, even with the same nurse. During the day they seem to be helpful (perhaps because doctors and management are around) but the night is a big change, when they become unfriendly and rude. With my heart ailment and I was afraid to ring the bell for help at night so as not to exacerbate my chest pain and stress, as I got an unfriendly response more often than not. A lot of the nurses take a nap during the night - you can see it on their faces if someone calls. I saw one nurse come into my room with a blanket wrapped around her shoulders. One night, when the scheduled nurse called in sick, another nurse came in and she did not know how to set up the heart/blood pressure/Oxygen monitoring machine. On another night, the nurse started my blood pressure measurement remotely when the cuff was not even on my arm - it was hanging by my bed. I had to ring for help and tell the nurse before the cuff got over inflated and burst. One night, the 7pm-7am shift came in and one of the first things that they did was have a lottery to determine who got the first break and then announced in loudly for all the nurses (and patients) to hear. Some of the nurses' command of english is not good. Most times, the incoming shift nurse would not come and introduce herself/himself to me and say she/he would be my nurse - so, I was not sure who my nurse was. It was a stressful experience for me and I hope I can go to a different hospital next time, if required. The SMH management can have someone go around the wards at night for a start and see it for themselves. My bed had some blood on the plastic railing from before I was admitted and was still there when I left. Being sick makes you weak and I was afraid to ask someone to clean it. It really was a nightmare for me.

Submitted Feb. 28, 2015 | flag

Value

The Emergency Room has ridiculously long waiting time. I went there with severe abdominal pain which turned out later on to be kidney colic due to the large kidney stone. I have waited 3 hours in the waiting room to be even looked up at. They only called me in upon my getting sick right there in the waiting room and vomiting like crazy. The addimitting staff in unfriendly and void of compassion. The most of the other staff are slow and make you wait for even uncomplicated procedure for hours. Our medical system is sick. No wander that we don't get a better care with more and more spending each year for the medical system. All the additional funding goes straight into nurses pockets with wages and additional benefits. I am not impressed but I am affraid that other hospitals are not better.

Submitted Feb. 8, 2015 | flag

My daughter was born there in may of 2013. The staff were very helpful
It is a training hospital so there are quite a few residents around. During birthing we had at least 6 ladies attending to us in our room and they were very helpful. Have also been back to the emerged for paediatrics. Rather slow at night but they are helpful as no clinics open and we still get what we need

Submitted Dec. 13, 2014 | flag

Value

Never use the jim pattison birth unit. They can cancel your care up to 37 weeks if they choose and you end up having a complicated pregnancy. If u are taking courses their for knowledge that gets cancelled also. So they do not prepare you effectively for labour and you could end up with no support at 37 weeks if they feel like dismissing you because of complications. Also the midwives are not listened to by all the doctors in the hospital but everyone listens to actual doctors always Safe yourself and see the obgyn doctors and ask for natural labour

Submitted Oct. 11, 2014 | flag

Value

I was referred to DBT at this hospital. I've never been there because they kicked me off the waiting list because I didn't reply to a letter I never received and didn't know they were sending to me. They didn't bother to let me know I wasn't on the list anymore, either. I only found out when I called them because I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything from them for so long. When I tried to get back on the list, they told me I had to have borderline personality disorder.

Submitted Sept. 29, 2014 | flag

Value

My son had to go there when he was 3 months old and they were great and helped lots they have a very good kids department there

Submitted Sept. 24, 2014 | flag