Medical Discussion Forum - RateMDS.com

Medical Discussion Forum - RateMDS.com (https://www.ratemds.com/forum/)
-   Doctor Related Forum (https://www.ratemds.com/forum/99-doctor-related-forum/)
-   -   Bait & Switch Back Surgery With Deception (https://www.ratemds.com/forum/99-doctor-related-forum/7434-bait-switch-back-surgery-deception.html)

jimwel 03-09-2011 02:34 PM

Bait & Switch Back Surgery With Deception

Dr. Sebastian Lattuga from Long Island, NY took my active quality of life away from me on the day he deceived me.

On many office visits to my Orthopedic Surgeon, I clearly discussed with him that I did not want any kind of Major Surgery that required hardware with screws and rods fused in my back to correct a Bulging Herniated Disc L5/S1.

Bait: Doctors alternative that was discussed in his office, that a Minimally Invasive Micro Discectomy could be done. Small one inch incision, one hour or less surgery and be released from the hospital on the same day. I agreed and was so happy that I didn't have to go through any risky major spine surgery.

Switch: Instead of receiving a Minimally Invasive One Hour Or Less Micro Discectomy, this doctor did a major Laminectomy and fused the Bulging Disc L5/S1 with hardware, screws and rods which I absolutely did not want. If I was informed that the Minimally Invasive One Hour Surgery could not be done, I would have refused any surgery. In addition to the major surgery, I had serious anesthetic related complications and went into respiratory failure that put me into ICU on life support. Recovery hospital stay was five days with a painful six inch incision. Note: Decision by this surgeon to do a major surgery was not during the surgery. This doctor got approval from the insurance company for major laminectomy fusion surgery and not the less invasive surgery that we discussed in the doctors office.

I am in worse pain now then before the surgery. Second and third opinions shows that the surgery was not done right and requires corrective surgery which is to risky.
My last alternative for pain relief is a Spinal Cord Stimulator that is implanted with minor outpatient surgery.

Deception: This doctor did not get approval from the insurance company for the less invasive one hour or less surgery. He requested approval for a longer six hour major laminectomy fusion surgery. He was not honest with me, I was deceived and misinformed.

Hope this can save someone from going through the same ordeal.

gagal 03-09-2011 05:07 PM

Didn't you sign consent

Didn't you sign consent forms? :puzzled:

rockygirl 03-09-2011 06:04 PM

Apparantly you're not the

Apparantly you're not the only patient to have problems with him. Too bad you didn't check his ratings first.

http://www.ratemds.com/doctor-rating...e-Park-NY.html

MicOnTheNorthShore 03-09-2011 07:19 PM

In non-emergent situations,

In non-emergent situations, when a patient consents to one procedure and another is substituted, you may have a case of lack of informed consent. If damages flowed from the non-consented to procedure, that could be battery.

jimwel 03-10-2011 12:37 AM

Thanks for responding and

Thanks for responding and appreciate your feedback. It seems to be very hard to legally litergate this doctor who just continues to mess up patients quality of life. There are doctors out there that don't like this doctor either. Doctor's have a code of silence and will not testify against another doctor. These doctors will charge a lawyer $600.00 for a 15 minute consultation on the phone, so could you imagine what it would cost to get a doctor to testify.

This doctor Lattuga knows how to cover his ass, even though I am aware of 17 ongoing or pending malpractice suits against him.

A Class Action Suit is required to get any satisfaction.

I must also make it very clear that there are alot of nice respectful doctors that do care about their patients, but unfortunately we have a bad apple by the name of Dr. Sebastian Lattuga who thinks he's GOD .
Keep away from this rude, nasty doctor. He will mess you up big time. It's all about money with this doctor.

jimwel 03-10-2011 12:45 AM

Thanks for responding

Thanks for responding RockyGirl. I agree, unfortunately I didn't have a computer at the time. Dr. Sebastian Lattuga was a recommendation from the doctor who did my knee surgery. This Dr. Lattuga messes up patients lives big time. He's rude, nasty. Keep away, get a second, third opinion from respectful caring doctor's.

jimwel 03-10-2011 01:03 AM

Thanks for responding Gagal.

Thanks for responding Gagal. Yes consent forms were signed without any consultations of what I was there for. All I know, Doctor Lattuga informs me in his office that he will do a less invasive sugery and then informs me minutes before surgery that he's doing a implant which I had no idea what he was talking about and he rudely walks away. I realized what this doctor had done on my followup office visit when I saw the hardware on the computer screen that was implanted in my back. Rods and screws that I did not want. My body was violated, my patients rights to make my own decisions was compromised. KEEP AWAY FROM THIS RUDE NASTY DOCTOR.

heartthrob 03-10-2011 08:45 AM

jimwel wrote: Thanks for

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimwel
Thanks for responding Gagal. Yes consent forms were signed without any consultations of what I was there for. All I know, Doctor Lattuga informs me in his office that he will do a less invasive sugery and then informs me minutes before surgery that he's doing a implant which I had no idea what he was talking about and he rudely walks away. I realized what this doctor had done on my followup office visit when I saw the hardware on the computer screen that was implanted in my back. Rods and screws that I did not want. My body was violated, my patients rights to make my own decisions was compromised. KEEP AWAY FROM THIS RUDE NASTY DOCTOR.

Hi Jim ~ I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. I am reminded just how $$$ driven the practice of medicine has become. I wonder how much more money Lattuga made by performing the much more extensive procedure. :O :jawdrop:

Do you have copies of your records? Do you know what exactly was written on the line procedure to be performed________________________. Were you given pre-op meds before being informed of the doctor's change in plans? Are you in the US or Canada? Informed consent cases are really, really hard to win, but consultations are usually free. I would talk to an atty if I were you. Have you done that?

I'm so sorry Jim. Many of us walk in your shoes. :(

jimwel 03-10-2011 01:07 PM

Thank you kindly

Thank you kindly HeartThrob.

The major surgery that was performed is the surgery that matches up with the paperwork. Lattuga had a sneaky game plan, because he knew I didn't want anything major and didn't want any hardware implanted in my back. At the time, did not know that Laminectomy was major surgery that is done when fusion and implanted hardware is also done. I wanted a MicroDiscectomy which he said could be done with no problem. Circumstances would have been different if his decision to change was during surgery and couldn't do the less invasive surgery, but that isn't the way it went down.
This doctor makes more money doing major surgery whether you need it or not. My new doctors don't like this Lattuga and also told me that what was done to me was not necessary to correct the bulging herniated disc.

Have been seeking legal help since September.2008. Just before the limitations ran out in March.2011, I did have a lawyer who was pretty sure we had a case until he looked at the release form and bailed out. IT IS WHAT IT IS. Beware of this doctor and don't be afraid to cancel your surgery if what you wanted as a patient cannot be done especially at the last minute just before going into surgery. Do not let doctors compromise your patients rights decisions it could be a mistake. If you're not comfortable with a nasty doctor, move on to another that you are comfortable with.

A Class Action Suit might work from all the unhappy patients that this doctor has messed up for life. You can't even have corrective surgery. The last option for pain relief is a Spinal Cord Stimulator which requires outpatient surgery and still have to be on painkillers.

Filing a complaint to the Medical Board might be a waste of time, because the board is made up of doctors. DOCTORS HAVE A CODE OF SILENCE AGAINST ANOTHER DOCTOR.

What comes around goes around and this nasty rude Lattuga will make a mistake that will ruin him for life and not be able to practice anymore in any state.

Good that will come out of this is other patients considering surgery, procedures will bypass this Doctor after reading what I went through.

gagal 03-10-2011 05:27 PM

jimwel wrote: Beware of

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimwel
Beware of this doctor and don't be afraid to cancel your surgery if what you wanted as a patient cannot be done especially at the last minute just before going into surgery. Do not let doctors compromise your patients rights decisions it could be a mistake. If you're not comfortable with a nasty doctor, move on to another that you are comfortable with.

There is no reason a patient should be signing consent forms just before they are going into the OR, unless it is an emergency situation.

I signed consent forms the day before my surgery and then again in the hospital right before the surgery, lying there naked as a jaybird ready to be wheeled into the OR. I wish there were laws in which consent forms had to be signed at least a week before a surgery. This would provide the patient an opportunity to peruse the forms at home in a relaxed environment and gives them time to ask questions.