If at all possible, I would try to save the tooth. If you go with the other option and have the tooth extracted, don't wait too long before having an implant put it, as the rest of your teeth in that area could shift.
I've never had an dental implant, I heard they are expensive. I've had crowns, fillings, bonding and a couple of root canals. I don't have any complaints.
Just make sure you have a good dentist.