Ratings for Dr. Sunil Bissoon

Dr Bissoon is an excellent and knowledgeable doctor, I highly recommend him. you will have to wait a considerable amount of time though before he attends to you and that is only since he takes a long time with each person. Which I can understand and appreciate. Most doctors treat you as just a file number, he treats you as a person. So this means you get the utmost attention to detail of the cause of the ailment and not just a quick fix script like most doctors. Great etiquette from staff and doctor. Does full blood tests to get an accurate diagnosis. Just overall a 5 of out 5. very happy.

flag | Submitted March 7, 2017

I cannot agree more wıth Keshıa. Dr .Bıssoon ıs everythıng she descrıbed and more! Every word! He has been my famıly doctor 15 years back. I moved places. Sıtuatıons changed. Used mostly state hospıtals for few years. But now ı am back to havıng a choıce on prıvate Gp. Wont swop Dr. Bıssoon for any other doc Thumbs up for Doc. Bıssoon.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2015

At first, one may be taken aback by the witty, sometimes sarcastic, eccentric doctor. However, once you get into the consulting room (which can take a while), you are totally at ease. Doctor Bissoon is known by his regulars, for his long consults, some lasting 45minutes to an hour. However to combat this, you can leave your name with the receptionists and they will contact you when it’s your turn. His approach to medicine is totally unique. He is very down to earth and chats with you like a friend. His bed side manner is excellent and in this way, allows his patients to fully express themselves, thus providing more information, which results in an accurate diagnosis. I believe that he works on the notion of ‘laughter is the best medicine’ – as the sound of laughter almost always escapes the consulting room. His intelligence becomes obvious as he explains your symptoms to you. It is far easier to learn something than it is to teach someone. He takes the title of Doctor to a whole new level – as he educates his patients. He is not afraid to search through medical texts – so he can assure you that he is giving you accurate information – this is a quality, I admire greatly. He also provides patients with material to read and goes to the extent of highlighting the relevant information. He definitely knows his stuff and is well read. When I first went to him, he requested blood tests – to determine my health needs. I appreciated this, as most GPs just ask for a brief medical history (operations in the past 3 years) and your current symptoms. Dr Bissoon does a full health check at every visit – eg. Blood pressure, checks your heart rate, eyes, ears and throat – this is all part of the consult. In recent years I found that many GPs skip the full check. It showed me how passionate he is about health care. He has a way of getting along with just about anyone, from the elderly to babies. My children (aged 4 years old and 1 and a half) love him, and barely cry when they have to get an injection. He creates a fun atmosphere and they are generally giggling or yapping away throughout the consult. They are totally at home at the surgery, running about and screaming, which would make any mother cringe. But Doctor Bissoon assures me that it does not bother him. They hate going to any other doctor. If he feels there is a need for a specialist to see them, he sets up the appointment and includes a detailed referral letter, then follows up on the progress – with both the specialist and me. Sometimes it’s difficult to understand a specialists’ explanation; Doctor Bissoon translates the medical jargon to simple English and goes on to describe the course of treatment in detail. He is honest and does not hide the facts, however the way in which he presents the facts to you, is what makes him exceptional. Both my babies have chronic illnesses, and he definitely goes the extra mile to make sure they receive the best treatment. My baby once needed a chair which is smaller than the average plastic chair, as part of the treatment she received from an occupational therapist. I searched just about everywhere, but could not find it. At my next consultation, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Dr Bissoon bought two chairs for us, one for my baby and one for my older daughter. Acts of kindness such as these are unheard off. I appreciate that he keeps in contact, to ensure that my babies are okay – even after hours and during the holidays. There is always a follow up call after a visit, to check how we are doing and if needed a review can be set up. These are the little things that make Doctor Bissoon arguably the best in his field. His diagnosis and treatment is excellent, and he will not medicate my children unnecessarily. He looks at a patient holistically and doesn’t believe in short term fixes. He has established a personal relationship with my little family, which is what a Family doctor is supposed to do. I feel empowered as a mother, as I have learned so much from Doctor Bissoon. Whilst I find him hilarious (and sometimes infuriating), I have seen compassion which goes beyond sympathy – that is Dr Bissoon’s trademark, the fact that he genuinely cares about his patients. He is definitely highly recommended. Keshia Naidoo

flag | Submitted February 2, 2015

Dr. Sunil Bissoon's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients