Ratings for Dr. Shannon Fernando

Loved him! I normally hate seeing the doctors but he saw me in the ER at the general hospital when I was having really bad stomach pains. Sat down beside me and answered all my question and set my mind at ease. He took me seriously. He did an ultrasound on me and told me he thought my appendix might have infection, and then got me another ultrasound that confirmed it. I had my surgery 3 hours later! Hope he read this because I tried to get his email from the surgeon but she didn't know. Thank you so much!! The best part was when my mom said she loved his smile and that he was too cute to be a doctor! lol. She made him blush. Would love to have him again in the ER!!

flag | Submitted December 8, 2015

Dr. Fernando was the one who took care of my son just on the weekend. My son had been attacked in a bar in Ottawa and his face and lips were torn, with the result of stitches being needed. Dr. Fernando's manner was excellent. He was very polite with both my son and me. He apologized when he knew that what he was doing was hurting my son. Throughout the entire procedure done in the operating room of the Civic Emergency ward, he continued by talking to us and saying comments which helped. I remember thinking to myself, when the doctor was giving the freezing needles directly into the mouth, that the doctor was really trying to keep my son calm and reassured throughout. I was very impressed indeed and I was happy to read other comments by other patients who had been treated by Dr. Fernando in the emergency ward.

flag | Submitted February 5, 2015

This young man was the surgery doctor who saw my husband after he was referred by the ER for diverticulitis. He was so kind and had excellent bedside manner. While talking to my husband, he noted that he had been having some difficulty swallowing over the past few months, and had lost a lot of weight. He gave him antibiotics for his diverticulitis, but told us he was concerned about the swallowing, and that he needed an urgent scope. He called the GI doctors right away (on a Sunday), and came back and told us that my husband was scheduled to have a scope in two days. He even scheduled followup for his warfarin and INR to be controlled. My husband had the scope, which found a cancer. He's currently undergoing treatment. The GI doctor credited Dr. Fernando for paying close attention and referring quickly. If we had waited things would have been much worse. I called the hospital to tell them what a job he had done, and found out he is actually an ER resident, but was working on surgery that day. Thank you Dr. Fernando for your attention to detail, and for giving me the extra time with my husband. Your future patients are very lucky.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2014