Dr. Ara Karamanian

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Ara Karamanian

Diagnosed with Adenocarcinoma prostate cancer on 11-2-18. Gleason score 3+4-7. Had Focal Laser Ablation on April 2, 2019 performed by Dr. Ara Karamanian at Prostate Laser Center in Houston on April 2, 2019. Had 6 month follow up on November 1, 2019. PSA level was 0.29. MRI performed by Dr. Joseph Busch on this date revealed NO CANCER. Thank you Dr. Karamanian

flag | Submitted November 23, 2019

The moment I met the doctor and his team at the pre-op appointment I knew I am in good hands. Both Dr. Karamanian and Nurse Donnie Sartin went into a great length to minimize any chance of infection and to maximize my comfort during and after the procedure. As a result I felt absolutely no pain during the procedure. The day after the procedure the doctor met me at his office and explained in detail what exactly had been done and why. It was clear to me that he takes great pride in his work, loves what he does and above all cares about his patients. I left his office with a feeling that I just acquired a new family member. It's been now two months since I had the FLA done in Houston and the results are truly amazing. Today I feel absolutely no discomfort, no urgency, good flow, and I can usually sleep through the night. I got my life back thanks to a great team of the Houston Prostate Laser Center. My special thanks to Dr. Ara Karamanian and Nurse Donnie Sartin.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2019

Procedure date: 01/29/19 Assessment: 63-Year-old male with clinically significant, G3+4 right anterior midgland lesion, no evidence of ECE. G3+4 discovered on MRI guided Multi-parametric MRI performed by Dr. Joseph Busch. G3+3 was discovered in January 2018 by Dr. Richard Prior at the Urology center in Spartanburg SC. Dr. Karamanian using images on his office computer, showed us what the Multi-parametric MRI found in Dr. Busch’s report and explained what he thought would be my best options for treating the G3+4 and the G3+3 cancer on the prostate. Please note: Dr. Karamanian spoke with me one on one regarding risk, benefits, alternatives and his and recommendation and reasons prior to bringing in my wife and sister to first make sure I fully understood what he wanted to do to Laser the cancer. Once my wife and sister entered the office and sat down, Dr. Karamanian proceeded to explain to them exactly what him and I discussed and why we choose that decision to proceed. Dr. Karamanian then explained in detail of how the Focal Laser Ablation procedure worked. He showed us the MRI images and explained the process including showing us the tools he would use to perform the ablation right down to the actual wire fiber that would carry the laser power. At first this was a bit scary to see all the images of cancer, the tools to be utilized and hearing the risk and benefits again. However, I gained trust in both nurse Donnie and Dr. Karamanian and we all agreed that it would be best to go ahead with the Focal Laser Ablation process to kill the cancer in my prostate. Dr. Karamanian’s plan for my procedure was to be aggressive with the G3+4 cancer and moderate aggressive with the G3+3 cancer. All of us made the agreement with Dr. Karamanian that we 100% trusted his experience and ability to perform the FLA process on me the patient. Summary: 1/30/19 I would highly recommend Dr. Karamanian to others for the Focal Laser Ablation procedure. I am convinced 100% that his staff, nurse and Dr. Karamanian all have the best interest into helping save the patient’s life. One week after surgery the pain level is about a 1 of 10 where 1 is the least amount of pain and discomfort. I had some drips of blood in my urine for the first 7 days and now have no outside signs of ever having the procedure done. Knowing that the cancer is gone is a fabulous feeling thanks to Dr. Karamanian superior expert skills, nurse Donnie and his staff. Current Multi-Parametric MRI results 8 months after FLA procedure:10/23/19 I went to Dr. Joseph Busch on 10/23/19 at the new Busch Center in Alpharetta Ga to have the Multi Parametric MRI with Contrast to see the results of Dr. Karamanian’s FLA procedure. Dr. Busch showed me and my wife the results and I have zero re-occurrence of cancer in my prostate and don’t have to be checked for another year. Dr. Busch and Dr. Karamanian and their staff have exceeded all expectations from finding the Gleason 7 cancer to removing the cancer from my prostate. Both doctors have eliminated the thought of having my prostate removed the second dangerous painful surgery to man after the open-heart surgery, from radiation and hormone shots and all the horrific side results from both procedures. I would 100 percent recommend men with Gleason 6-7 to see Dr. Busch to find out what cancer they truly have, where it is located (often missed by a Trus biopsy), then go to Dr. Karamanian to have the cancer removed utilizing the Focal Laser Ablation (FLA) procedure.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2019

My focal laser ablation was Tuesday, April 30th. 1 tumor with two positive cores (all other cores benign on target biopsy). Cores were 10 percent 3+4=7 and 20 percent 3+3=6. I almost got a RP until my google research found this procedure. Left Austin Monday morning with wife, 2 daughters and 1 grandson around 9:00 to make my 2:00 appointment at the Prostate Laser Center in Houston. At the appointment Dr. Karamanian previewed all that he was going to do during the procedure telling me how he was going to have to crowd the neurovascular bundle in order to insure he killed all the cancer so there was a risk of ed if he had to ablate too much. The next morning I was at the 3T MRI site at 6:00 for final prepping before the procedure. This is where the unbelievably great nurse, Donnie Sartin, explained in detail what was going to happen while inserting the IV needle into my arm with me barely realizing it! The insertion of the catheter was extremely easy as I only felt a little pinch as he pushed it past the sphincter. They started with biopsy probes to check the grade of the cancer they were about to ablate then proceeded with the ablation of which, though I was technically conscious, I don't remember. I then went back to the hotel and slept that afternoon and most of the night. The next day I went back to the office, had the catheter removed, got another heavy duty antibiotic shot (I also got one during the day 1 appointment), looked at before and after pictures of my prostate, then went back to the hotel. Stayed in Houston one more night in case there were complications with urinating then came home to Austin around noon. I won't know any numbers yet but I'm sure they're going to be close to normal for a 69 year old man since they killed about 1/8th of my prostate around the tumor. The catheter was uncomfortable and I was glad to get it out after 24 hours but that was the only thing that bothered me in the least. All in all this operation was very professional which was executed by very talented people who know what they're doing. (While in a very informal atmosphere.) If you consider this procedure, I highly recommend Prostate Laser Center in Houston, TX. Oh, PSA 1.9 with clear MRI at 6 months!!!!

flag | Submitted October 30, 2019

My journey to Dr Karamanian started about 10 years ago a when my PSA doubled from 2 to 4. My Urologist recommended an ultrasound biopsy. One suspect cell was found so a follow up was scheduled 6 months later. At that time nothing was found. Another was scheduled one year later and again nothing. Meanwhile my PAS was up to 6. I was treated with an antibiotic a for one month and my PSA went down to 4. Over a 2 year period my PSA would go up to 6 or 7 and again we would do an antibiotic and again PSDA would go down. I continued this regimen until my PSA went to 8,8. At that time my Urologist recommenced a 4K test and it returned with a Gleason Score of 4+3. An MRI was recommended and it showed cancer. My urologist wanted to do a Hybrid MRI/Ultrasound biopsy. A friend recommended Dr. Joseph Busch, in Chattanooga, TN,(a world class Radiologist who specializes on the Prostrate) who does an MRI Guided biopsy which is more precise. Dr. Busch recommended several options one of which was the FLA procedure with Dr. Karamanian. After studying my options I chose Dr. Karamanian. My wife and I flew to Houston on a November Sunday in 2018, met with Dr. Karamanian on Monday for a pre-procedure conference. Dr. Karamanian fully explained the procedure in great detail, answered any and all questions. My wife and I never felt rushed or did not have the full information we wanted. We were given his cell phone number and told to call at any time day or night. The procedure was on Tuesday. If it wasn’t for the catheter, I would not have known I even had a procedure, I had no pain or discomfort what so ever. On Wednesday was post procedure. Catheter removed (most discomfort) and again a conference with Dr. Karamanian where he discussed any procedures and medication while at home. We flew home on Thursday. Again no discomfort at all. June, 2019 I had a 6 month follow up MRI and PSA. Cancer all gone and 1.6 PSA. I look forward to my 1 year MRI and PSA. The care I received from Dr. Karamanian and his staff (especially Donnie Sartin) was outstanding. The time he took for questions and answers made us feel very comfortable at a stressful time. I would not hesitate to say to anyone hop an airplane and get to Dr. Karamanian in Houston.

flag | Submitted October 24, 2019

After a very complete in person consultation, I selected Dr. Ara Karamanian at the Prostate Laser Center in Houston to preform the FLA procedure. Both Dr. Karamanian and Nurse Donnie Sartin spent a lengthy time explaining in detail the preparations, the actual procedure and the post procedure evaluation. The procedure was not painful, but afterward I did have bladder spasms due to the catheter. When the catheter was removed the day after the procedure, these stopped.I appreciate Nurse Donnie helping me through the preparation, the procedure, the post procedure and explaining final dismissal instructions. Since the procedure (three weeks) I have had no side effects issues. Donnie did an excellent job during each phase of the treatment. After the post procedure consultation of the MRI/FLA results I believe Dr. Karamanian demonstrated exceptional skill at balancing the tumor and margins ablation while minimizing damage to other critical structures around the prostate. Dr. Karamanian showed a high level of attention and concern 24/7 before and after the treatment, which demonstrates his personal care for the patient. In summary, I appreciate and recommend both, Dr. Busch for his outstanding screening expertise in detecting the PCa using mpMRI and for Dr. Karamanian, for his preforming the FLA procedure in an excellent manner.

flag | Submitted October 1, 2019

I had FLA with Dr. Karamanian and Nurse Donnie in October of 2017. My PSA has since gone up a little (to 3.0) and the local urologists were wanting to remove my prostate based on follow-up MRI's (without even doing another biopsy). I decided to get a biopsy just to make sure. I flew to Texas for the biopsy as I believe that Dr. Karamanian and nurse Donnie are hands-down the best. I simply would not have trusted the results of a "blind" TRUS biopsy done locally as my first biopsy done this way came back "inconclusive" even thought it turned out that I had a significant amount of Gleason 7 (3+4) cancer. The biopsy took about 2 hours as it was very, very carefully targeted to any suspicious areas using advanced MRI technology (in comparison, a TRUS biopsy takes about 5 minutes). I am happy to report that the pathology report came back negative! I simply can't say enough great things about Dr. Karamanian and Nurse Donnie - they are amazing! If you are considering getting a prostatectomy and are not ready to possibly lose your sexual functioning and also possibly have incontinence problems - please do some research. I believe that Focal Laser Ablation is the best option if the circumstances allow for the procedure to be chosen and my experience is that most urologists are very quick to want to remove the prostate gland - mine would have been removed even though I am cancer free by my local urologists. Thank you Dr. Karamanian and Nurse Donnie!!

flag | Submitted August 1, 2019

My Urologist did a few random TRUS biopsies when i got to PSAs of 5 and 7 and given that i had a Gleason 6 and the "only real options" were to use radiation or remove the prostate (with high chance of serious side effects) i waited . . . . turns out the random biopsies had missed the more serious cancer and the MRIs had not been done with the proper protocol and didnt show the affected area. When my PSA hit 10, the Urologist said its time to take out the prostate and i looked for options. Looked at everything! Cryo, Cyber knife, HIFU etc. Dr Ks Laser ablation procedure made the most sense. Targeted, Can Repeat if needed, uses new technology, many great reviews. Agree with all the overwhelmingly positive comments you will read on this site about Dr K and Donnie about their dedication, desire to serve and motives to do what they do to change the way prostate cancer is treated. My ablation was more difficult as it was close (2mm) to the nerve bundle. At 6 months post surgery, my PSA is 1.6 and the MRI showed no sign of the cancer!. Really grateful for Dr K and Donnie and Juliana and the advance in technology that allows a targeted surgery vs. the cave man club of the old radical protatectomy for moderate growth cancers

flag | Submitted July 28, 2019

I just had a phone call with Dr. Karamanian; I am not his patient; I do not even live in the US. I called and sent my MRI, hoping to understand what is going on with my prostate and if I need BPH treatment. He spent one hour with me explaining patiently what I should do to address my prostate problems, the first doctor ever that did that. I can confirm what everyone said here: He is an extraordinary doctor and an extraordinary human being. I never gave a review to anyone on the Internet, and I read thousands of them. May God bless Dr. Karamanian and everything that he does.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2019

Follow-up appointment for a "touch up" to previous procedure. Could not have been better. Quick appointment setting, thorough workup, expert procedure done, the usual personal follow-up phone calls. Nurse Donnie is great. May very well be the best prostate doctor in the world.

flag | Submitted May 28, 2019

Dr. Ara Karamanian's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Providing cutting edge, minimally invasive diagnosis and treatment of prostate cancer using advanced MRI and laser technology. Medical Director of the Prostate Laser Center, PLLC.

• English
  • Armenian

• Prostate Cancer
  • MRI
  • Prostate biopsy

• GEST 2016 Award for research in MRI Guided Focal Laser Ablation of Prostate Cancer: Preserving Quality of Life

Pacificare