Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz

Dr Slade Shantz Successfully repaired a full thickness partial tear (~2cm) supraspinatus rotator cuff injury on June 14, 2018, and today, on October 7, I was hitting golf balls as good as before and pain free. I had an MRI done in Edmonton and Dr Slade Shantz reviewed the assessment and images and showed the tear, it was too large to reattach on its own. The surgery was arranged by Gateway Health Solutions ( the service was inclusive and as agreed) at False Creek, Vancouver and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Center and walked to the clinic. The surgery technique was abrading the surfaces, installing 4 anchors and suturing in a cross to reconnect the tendon to the bone. Full anaesthetic so woke up with 3 small sutures. Dr Slade Shantz and I chatted after and then the next day and texted several times after. Physio was setup in Sherwood Park LifeMark with James Squire who is knowledgeable about shoulder surgery rehab and I started physio within a week. I have been very diligent about the stretching exercises and now the strengthening exercise and am almost at full range of motion with 75% strength. Met with Dr Slade Shantz to remove sutures t two week and he consulted several tines with physio. There is no pain when resting or using the shoulder and now golfing so I rate the surgery at 10/10.

flag | Submitted October 7, 2018

I learned from one of the staff that Dr Shantz is a consultant for one of the companies who's products he puts in. I don't know about you, but I want someone putting in the product that's right for me, and not because he's being paid by the company! Not very professional surgical practice in my opinion.

flag | Submitted August 27, 2018

Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz

Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz's response
Thanks for this comment. I am not a paid consultant. I disclose my conflict of being an educator for Arthrex and Tribe (Canadian Arthrex distributor) when relevant as suggested by the medical colleges. I do use the equipment that I think will provide my patients the best outcome at the best price. I can assure you that I attempt to provide the highest level of professionalism in my practice. As the rating suggests that I have already met you and you should have access to call me, and I would be happy to discuss your concerns directly. I hope that my medical care was satisfactory as my commitment is to my patients and their treatment goals.

Submitted August 30, 2018

Dr Shantz did a huge surgery on my shoulder with seven anchors. His skill and expertise is phenomenal. He preformed an excellent surgery at False Greek Clinic. I barely have any evidence of surgery with barely a mark on my shoulder., No scaring at all! Dr Shantz was so available after surgery for any questions I had. My shoulder has a long recovery ahead but I am thrilled with the work he did. I Would highly recommend Dr Shantz for anyone’s shoulder needs. So glad I found him. He’s the absolute best. Patricia Tufts.

flag | Submitted June 27, 2018

Dr. Schantz did total shoulder replacements o n both of my shoulders. Fantastic surgery and recovery. For the first time in many years, I was pain free and able to function normally. No more tears for me. Thank you so very much. You had left Ajax before i could tell you how much I appreciated you and your wonderful work. Thank you. Helen Keys

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

Dr. Shantz is very dedicated to his patients. He takes the time to listen to what a person wants and needs. He is also committed to being on the cutting edge of medical innovations that provide for greater comfort and safety for all. I would highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2018

He’s amazing at fixing my shoulder and a year later it’s still perfect. Thank you so much.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2017

Dr. Shantz, I just wanted to thank you so much for your help, I was able to play baseball again this year after the surgery on my right elbow, pain free!, recommended 100%, great service.

flag | Submitted October 26, 2017

Good luck with the new steps in your life. You are a fantastic surgeon. good luck in Calgary

flag | Submitted August 29, 2017

Dr. Shantz was AMAZING from diagnosis, surgery and post-op. Dr. Shantz had even discovered 2 other problems with my shoulder that my local diagnostics clinic had either missed or overlooked! I was able to get in to see him very quickly, and Dr. Shantz was abloe to schedule my surgery even faster that I could think possible. Despite being a very busy surgeon, he always made time to answer any questions I had, and explain procedures, etc. He even showed me pictures and videos of my own shoulder surgery - VERY interesting. Although Dr. Shantz has moved onto a new opportunity in Edmonton, he flew back to Ajax to do the first 2 follow-up appointments with me, as well as several other of his patients. The Shoulder Clinic and Rouge Valley Hospital has lost a very valuable asset in Dr. Shantz. Whatever clinic in Edmonton that takes Dr. Shantz on is EXTREMELY fortunate, and the people of Edmonton are gaining a PHENOMENAL SURGEON!!!! I wish Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz all the best in the future!

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Dr. Shantz has been amazing. He spent a lot of time with me prior to my decision to proceed with my rotator cuff surgery, explaining the procedure and answering all my questions. I never felt rushed or stupid. Although Dr. Shantz has moved onto a new opportunity in Edmonton, he has made himself available by email to answer my post-operative questions. Truly a first-class, exceptional person and surgeon! As well, Katrina was excellent and very prompt with replies. I am sad to see Dr. Shantz leave Ajax-Pickering Hospital and the Shoulder Clinic, but wish him all the very best for the future!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Fellowship-trained Shoulder and Sports Surgeon. I perform arthroscopic and open surgeries of the shoulder, elbow and knee and provide biologic treatments to patients with musculoskeletal injuries and issues. I take a patient-centred approach to musculoskeletal problems. I have opted out of the public health system to provide patients access to care and enhanced communication with the entire care team.

• English
  • Portuguese
  • Spanish

• University of Western Ontario (Grad. 2005)
  • University of Manitoba (Grad. 2011)
  • University of California -San Francisco (Grad. 2013)
  • University of Toronto (Grad. 2014)

• Frozen Shoulder Treatment