Ratings for Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz

Good luck with the new steps in your life. You are a fantastic surgeon. good luck in Calgary

flag | Submitted August 29, 2017

Dr. Shantz was AMAZING from diagnosis, surgery and post-op. Dr. Shantz had even discovered 2 other problems with my shoulder that my local diagnostics clinic had either missed or overlooked! I was able to get in to see him very quickly, and Dr. Shantz was abloe to schedule my surgery even faster that I could think possible. Despite being a very busy surgeon, he always made time to answer any questions I had, and explain procedures, etc. He even showed me pictures and videos of my own shoulder surgery - VERY interesting. Although Dr. Shantz has moved onto a new opportunity in Edmonton, he flew back to Ajax to do the first 2 follow-up appointments with me, as well as several other of his patients. The Shoulder Clinic and Rouge Valley Hospital has lost a very valuable asset in Dr. Shantz. Whatever clinic in Edmonton that takes Dr. Shantz on is EXTREMELY fortunate, and the people of Edmonton are gaining a PHENOMENAL SURGEON!!!! I wish Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz all the best in the future!

flag | Submitted August 22, 2017

Dr. Shantz has been amazing. He spent a lot of time with me prior to my decision to proceed with my rotator cuff surgery, explaining the procedure and answering all my questions. I never felt rushed or stupid. Although Dr. Shantz has moved onto a new opportunity in Edmonton, he has made himself available by email to answer my post-operative questions. Truly a first-class, exceptional person and surgeon! As well, Katrina was excellent and very prompt with replies. I am sad to see Dr. Shantz leave Ajax-Pickering Hospital and the Shoulder Clinic, but wish him all the very best for the future!

flag | Submitted August 15, 2017

Dr. Shantz was able to help with my frozen shoulder. He recommended that I receive a cortisone injection and was able to arrange an appointment for me very quickly. I'd already been to my family doctor and was in a lot of pain. After the treatment he recommended I was pain free and able to start using my shoulder and arm again almost immediately. That was 2 years ago and it's never returned and I have the full use of my arm/shoulder again.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2017

I've been impressed with Dr. Shantz and his willingness to explain everything related to my shoulder surgery and the aftereffect. He's eager to answer my question and make sure that I understand what exactly is going on. It's been a great experience being his patient!

flag | Submitted July 28, 2017

I got to know Dr. Shantz when he did my surgery on my fractured femur in 2015. He is an excellent surgeon. He takes care of his patients with care and explains everything of what goes on with his surgery. He did an excellent job on my fractured femur that the healing process went so well.... not even a trace of keloids on the incision. He demonstrates professionalism in dealing with his patients. He discusses the results of the follow up appointments in detail and with concerns. He does not rush through unlike other doctors or specialists. There is one thing though, that I admire most about Dr. Shantz, let alone his being an excellent surgeon, is his humbleness. He is so humble and courteous. He talks to his patients with respect and dignity that as a patient, your ego is boosted that you become positive in your attitude which helps the patient's healing process to go easily and smoothly. And having Katrina as her secretary, her kindness towards the patients also helps in the process of healing. She is so accommodating when you phone for appointments. You will be missed, Dr. Shantz! I hope your replacement is as kind and excellent as you. I am sure that wherever you go , you will remain an excellent surgeon. Enjoy your new journey and good luck to you and your family! God bless! Ning Alhambra

flag | Submitted July 13, 2017

Dr Shantz and his staff have been remarkable. I had AC joint shoulder surgery in March 2016. I was suffering from arthritis due to a broken shoulder years ago, also needed to remove some of my clavicle. Though I'm still going through some recovery due to the nature of the injury doctor Shantz has been there all the way with me, with recommended Cortizone injections to reduce the pain while I'm still in rehabilitation. I also needed a strange bump on the left part of my shoulder removed cosmetically it looks 100% and even the incision is barely noticeable. I have no doubt within more time I'll be back to normal that being said Dr. Shantz treated me with respect and is very knowledgable. Good Luck in your future endeavours. Kirk Bigelow

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Dr. Shantz's staff were so very accommodating in getting my in initially to have my shoulder assessed. I was in extreme pain for everyday normal activity, even sleeping and changing. Dr. Shantz was about 20 min behind in my appt, however matters not to me when they fit me in, and not to mention we was extremely apologetic and sincere about it. After all, how can you be angry when a doctor takes extra time with his patients rather than rush them out the door, which was the case with the few elderly patients ahead of me. Dr. Shantz took his time to assess and explain everything as well as options available to me. I didn't feel rushed at all and he answered all of my questions. His bed side manor is professional and polite and down to earth. I was given a cortisone injection in the meantime to assist with the discomfort, I can't believe the change already. Dr. Shantz assured me he would continue to monitor me to receive the right treatment and that he has. Dr. Shantz is so knowledgeable and pleasant, it's a true shame to see him leaving us. Edmonton is incredibly lucky to have him. All the best.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2017

Right from the initial time I entered Dr. Shantz's office and was greeted by a very pleasant and friendly Katrine up until the follow up appointments post surgery, the experience I had having my right shoulder replaced was like no other. Dr. Shantz took the time to REALLY explain the issue with my shoulder and the option that I had. The day of the surgery, he spent the time with my family and again with myself going over the operation and explained how it went and answered every question. The support post-surgery was equally comforting, knowing that he was literally only one phone call away. His dedication to his work and his compassion to his patients are something that you don't find often anymore. I have since healed and so grateful for the opportunity that Dr. Shantz provided to me, he gace me back my mobility and no more pains. A big THANK YOU to Dr. Shantz and Katrina for the genuine support that you both provided to me. In closing on a sad note: Dr. Shantz is leaving the Pickering/Ajax Shoulder Clinic to take up a position in Edmonton, our loss and their gain. I only wish he would be around to work on my left shoulder which also needs medical attention. Thank you Dr. Shantz and the best of luck in your new position. Rainer Misner

flag | Submitted July 9, 2017

Dr Shantz did both my shoulders and did an awesome job and is very knowledgeable I would highly recommend him to all.

flag | Submitted July 6, 2017

Dr. Jesse Slade Shantz's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Fellowship-trained Shoulder and Sports Surgeon. I perform arthroscopic and open surgeries of the shoulder, elbow and knee. I take a patient-centred approach to musculoskeletal problems.

• English
  • Portuguese
  • Spanish

• University of Western Ontario (Grad. 2005)
  • University of Manitoba (Grad. 2011)
  • University of California -San Francisco (Grad. 2013)
  • University of Toronto (Grad. 2014)

• Frozen shoulder