Ratings for Dr. Ilyas S. Aleem

My husband had very bad thoracic spine fracture, dr aleem and staff were amazing and super professional. My husband is 13 weeks post op and no pain and doing great.

flag | Submitted July 8, 2019

After ins. required physical therapy with no improvement, primary care doctor referred me to Uof M for evaluation for my leg and foot pain. I met with Dr. Aleem for preliminary discussion and was recommended to have x-rays and MRI for better diagnosis. On return visit, we reviewed the images and the doctor showed me the source of my discomfort. ( swollen disc pinching nerve against spine lower back ). He explained the options and I chose surgery which he agreed with. Surgery was scheduled and performed in a short time period of time, impressive for a busy institution. The results I could not be happier with. No more discomfort and almost back to normal which will take time. Back to work full time ( I'm an auto technician for one of the Detroit three ). The staff and Dr. Aleem are all outstanding and I would recommend them to anybody. I previously had surgery for a different issue and the UofM team was equally as impressive.

flag | Submitted June 10, 2019

I highly recommend Dr. Aleem. I had lower back surgery. The results have been right on with what I was given to expect. I have met with Dr. Aleem at least four times relating to the surgery. He and his staff and the staff at UofM med center have been very courteous, knowledgeable and quick to respond to my questions and needs. Making and changing appointments was easy and accommodating to my needs.

flag | Submitted April 12, 2019

I had cervical disk replacement surgery and was extremely pleased with Dr. Aleem and his staff. He addressed all my concerns and his knowledge made me feel reassured that I was in good hands. The staff were kind and attentive as well. I would highly recommend Dr Aleem to anyone who is in need of this kind of surgery.

flag | Submitted April 4, 2019

I went to Dr Aleem with back issues. He was extremely thorough and we discussed my options. After 23 years of my back hurting I am pleased to say I live pain free thanks to Dr Aleem and his wonderful staff.

flag | Submitted March 27, 2019

Years ago I had some shoulder issues and traveled to UofM -3.5 hrs one way for a second opinion. I was so impressed with the level of care and professionalism at UofM that when i began experiencing neck/back problems I immediately reached out for a referral from a trusted colleague. He referred me to Dr Aleem. After my first consult I was sure he was the surgeon I wanted taking care of me. His staff scheduled tests immediately and expedited the dates. After reviewing the results he was very straightforward and knowledgeable- he explained what was happening and layed out options for me. He listened to my concerns and fears and we came up with a plan that would address those. I am 7 weeks post operation and could not be happier! My pain is gone completely- I have regained much of my strength in my arm (gains every day) The numbness in my hand has dissipated. I am back to my normal life. Thank you Dr Aleem and PA Maria for all your help and professionalism.

flag | Submitted March 19, 2019

I want to thank you. Your lean and your staff for taking so much good care of me you have changed my life dr. Lane from barely walk with sciatica since 2013 and now to not have it you have changed my life I'm where mobile you were so knowledgeable and everything can you we work together and I really appreciate it that you gave me also knowledge and make sure not only you were concerned with my body but also my Maria and I thank you so much for changing my life

flag | Submitted March 19, 2019

My experience was excellent. Prior to reaching Dr. Aleem, I was seen by 2 other orthopedic surgeons and then then went to the U of M back and pain clinic to get a second opinion on a particular treatment that the second physician recommended. In all experiences prior to going to the U of M clinic, physicians and their staff identified the obvious issues but would not listen to what I had to say about other symptoms that were somewhat inconsistent with the standard positions. When I first began with Dr. Aleem and his staff, I was immediately impressed with the extent to which they listened and then their problem solving responses to what they heard. I was convinced they were on the right track. They were. Dr. Aleem's performance as a surgeon was extraordinary. Given the complexity of my issues I never expected to ever be pain free and have the ability to walk and move freely that I have had since the surgery. The post op treatment for him and his PA whose knowledge and expertise addressing osteopenia as it relates to the surgery has provided been terrific.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2019

Dr. Aleem has provided excellent care for throughout my treatment. I had severe, debilitating back pain for over a year. I began with my primary care physician who initially referred me to a neurosurgeon. From there I had another surgeon, cortisone shots, physical therapy, and then on to a "second opinion" at the Back and Spine Center at the U of M. At this point I received excellent diagnostic advice and was pointed in the direction of Dr. Aleem. His treatment and work with his PA , Karen Cummings to address osteopenia issues that surgery would raise have been outstanding. I had surgery 13 months ago. Prior to that, it would take about 2 hours of physical therapy once getting out of bed in order to have enough mobility to get through the rest of the day. Upon coming out of the surgery and following the recovery plan for me, I have had NO pain. I am now able to be physically active at a level that I had not enjoyed for at least 3 years. Dr. Aleem and his staff have far exceeded my expectations on every dimension! They are outstanding!

flag | Submitted February 6, 2019

Dr. Aleem is by far, the BEST in care for my spine issues. Not only does he do an excellent hob in really listening to issues,he has a precise and well thought out game plan. My surgery went off without a hitch, and my recovery has been spot on from what he predicted. Very thoughtful and has the very best in communications skills, detailing out everything in a way that non medical people can easily follow.on a scale from 1 to 10, he and his staff rate an easy 15!

flag | Submitted January 31, 2019

Dr. Ilyas S. Aleem's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Ilyas Aleem is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery, Spine Division, at the University of Michigan. He is a dual fellowship trained spine surgeon, specializing in disorders of the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine using both conventional and minimally invasive techniques. After completing his undergraduate degree in Neuroscience at the University of Toronto, Dr. Aleem completed medical school at the Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine at McMaster University. Dr. Aleem subsequently completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Toronto. He then completed a fellowship in Spine Surgery and further earned a graduate degree in Health Research Methodology specializing in Clinical Epidemiology and Global Health under the mentorship of leaders in Evidence Based Medicine at McMaster University. Dr. Aleem then went on to complete a complex spine fellowship at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota where he was recognized with a number of awards including the AOSpine Fellows’ Forum Best Clinical Research Award, Lumbar Spine Research Society (LSRS) Best Science Award, and the North American Spine Society (NASS) Fellow Research Award. Alongside his clinical practice, Dr. Aleem has a strong interest in education and research, with numerous book chapters and peer-reviewed publications. He has been recognized for his scientific presentations at both national and international conferences. Dr. Aleem completed his fellowships at: McMaster University, Hamilton, ON (Focus on minimally-invasive spine surgery, spine trauma, degenerative conditions of the spine), 2015 Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN (Focus on complex primary and revision spine surgery, spine trauma, degenerative conditions of the spine, cervical spine surgery), 2016

• English

• University of Toronto (Grad. 2006)

• Spinal stenosis
  • Laminectomy
  • Spinal fusion
  • Herniated disk
  • Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion (ACDF)
  • Cervical spondylosis