Ratings for Dr. Dominic Giampaolo

Dr G tells it like it is, and is very honest about telling you if you're not going to follow his advice you are wasting his and your time. And he's quite right. If you go to the doctor and dont listen to his advice and treatment plan you wont get better. He was compassionate and kind and also showed great concern for my personal and emotional wellbeing. We tried various drug combinations and he really worked hard to find the correct protocol for me. He spent extra time with me when necessary which did make the next patient wait and sometimes I was the patient who was waiting. He will never rush you if you need to talk or are concerned. He saved my mother's life and was hard on her because she had 100 excuses as to why she couldnt follow his protocol. He realised she was just scared and comforted her while explaining, in depth why he was prescribing and changing her medications. I will NEVER go to another neurologist

flag | Submitted May 10, 2018

Needs to know that he is the doctor and not the combatant. We need help and that’s why we come. Experience difficult to swallow.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2018

I know that many people have referred to Dr Giampaolo as rude and obnoxious but I’ve been seeing him for years now and I’ve never had that issue. Sometimes he is blunt and gets straight to the point but sometimes a person has to do that to really get their point across. For those who say he is unsympathetic, then you obviously haven’t seen him wiping his eyes after he gives a patient bad news. Every once in a while, I have new symptoms appear and he will try to help me in any way he can and if he can’t, he will refer me to a doctor who can. He is also the only one of my doctors who has looked at all my symptoms and tried to come up with a diagnosis, so that we can try and treat the cause and not just treat the symptoms as they appear. He is always willing to answer any questions I have and he will make sure that I understand things when he explains them to me. He usually runs late for appointments but I know it’s because he’s either taken a bit longer with a patient (he has done this with me a number of times) or he has quickly squeezed someone in to just explain the results of their tests (this is also something he’s done a number of times for me). Overall I would say he is a great doctor who really looks after his patients

flag | Submitted March 23, 2018

Dr Giampaolo has been extremely kind and caring to both my children and my mother you always feel like he cares about each and every patient and you are not just a number!

flag | Submitted March 16, 2018

Brilliant and was very kind to me on both occasions.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2018

THE TRUTH We had been warned by the family friend who referred us to Dr. Giampaolo that he had a deplorable bedside manner, but we were advised to overlook his unfortunate shortcoming because he was apparently a brilliant Neurologist. For me, respect needs to work both ways. If a patient is expected to cough up a small fortune to have a consultation with a doctor, could the good doctor not be ‘brilliant’ and pleasant at the same time? I knew we would find other doctors who were both. My parents ignored my reservations, and thus we all found out the hard way that he lived up to his reputation: rude and lacking in compassion. At my parent’s first meeting with Dr. Giampaolo, I wrote down a question for my mother to ask on my behalf, and when she asked him, his response was: “I do not answer questions via correspondence.” I guess he expected me to pay his exorbitant consultation fee just to have a question answered. It got worse. An MRI scan showed that my father had hydrocephalus (an accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid on his brain). It was a vast amount, and a shunt operation should have been urgently scheduled. My father had gone from walking and playing golf, to being wheelchair-bound within six months. Even writing proved to be extremely difficult for him. Instead of surgery to place a shunt in his brain, to drain the fluid build up (which, if left too long could have caused permanent brain damage), my father was put on a pill. His condition got worse. Once the pills had been finished, dad left several messages for Dr. Giampaolo, who finally got back to him and said that there was nothing further he could do. When my dad asked: “Nothing? Are you giving me a death sentence, Doc?” The doctor simply said, “The Lord gives. The Lord takes away.” That was the end of the conversation. All he left my father with was hopelessness, and the belief that he was going to die. Dad did not have terminal cancer, he had a condition which would have been vastly improved with a shunt operation, and this doctor made him believe his time was up. If a person believes they are going to die, very often they will, and after speaking to my devastated parents on the phone that evening, I believe my father would have been dead within a year. I then stepped in, took the reins, and asked my parents to place their trust in me, which thankfully they did. Through conversations with physiotherapists, friends and colleagues, one name kept coming up: Dr. Johan Wasserman. I did my own homework and ‘interviewed’ several neurosurgeons and their staff over the phone. At the end of it all, there was no doubt in my mind. The minute I spoke to Yolanda, I knew they were the team we needed. Yolanda possessed the sense of urgency (lacking in other medical staff I had spoken to) that was required for my father’s advanced condition. She personally got hold of my father’s MRI scan and had discussed the results with Dr. Wasserman and me before the day was through. Not only did she give a damn, she was extremely knowledgeable, efficient and kind, and Dr. Wasserman booked dad into hospital the following week. No consultations first, no wasting of time. He thoroughly checked my father, making him perform certain movements, and kept him overnight in Wilgeheuwel Hospital to monitor his condition after specific treatments. Dad was given hope, and for good reason, because Dr. Wasserman established that something COULD in fact be done. He DID NOT send my father home to die. He did not play God, making pronouncements about a patient’s ‘time to go’. Dr. Wasserman was a caring human being who used and applied his vast knowledge to save a life, not dismiss it. Dad was operated on a few days later. We visited him in ICU that night, and when we left at 9pm, Dr. Wasserman was still there, tending to his patients. My father was incredibly well looked after in the days that followed. The Wilgeheuwel hospital staff were superb, and he continued to receive outstanding care and kindness from Dr. Wasserman and Yolanda. A few days later he was out of his wheelchair and walking. He needs to adhere to a mild exercise routine, and works with a Biokineticist once a week (which is covered by his Medical Aid). Today (just over two months later), he is driving his car again and accompanying my husband to the driving range to practice. They are once more enjoying walking nine holes together; those special late afternoons they used to share, before my dad’s condition made us all fear that those happy days were gone for good. I cannot recommend Dr. Johan Wasserman or his wonderful assistant, Yolanda, highly enough. They care, not only about their patients, but about their patient’s families as well. To these two extraordinary people; these two blessings who were by our side every step of the way – thank you. From the bottom of our hearts.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2018

To us he is not "rude and obnoxious" He is a no nonsense neurologist. He is very busy and do not have time to chit chat. He wants to get to the point.

flag | Submitted December 4, 2017

Like someone else said jumps to conclusions and very unsympathetic and moody

flag | Submitted October 23, 2017

Does not beat around the bush but gets straight to the point which may come across as a bit rude but once you've gotten over that, you realise he is a great doctor with a wealth of knowledge to share with you.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2017

Best Doctor in the world! Kind caring and really makes sure that his patients understand what is going on before they leave his office! He is a genius!

flag | Submitted June 26, 2017

Dr. Dominic Giampaolo's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients