Dr. Colin Walsh's Credentials
Accepting New Patients
Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients
Dr Colin Walsh is a highly experienced Obstetrician and an accredited Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialist. He is an expert in high-risk obstetrics, including medical disorders in pregnancy, pregnancy complications, twins and triplets and advanced obstetric ultrasound. He is also very happy to care for women with low-risk pregnancies. Dr Walsh undertook his specialist training in Dublin, New York, Cambridge and Sydney, working in some of the most prestigious maternity units worldwide. He delivers babies at North Shore Private and Royal North Shore Hospitals. He also provides advanced obstetric ultrasound services in his consulting rooms in St Leonards, Sydney, including nuchal translucency, fetal morphology, fetal growth/Dopplers, amniocentesis and CVS. He runs the high-risk obstetric clinic at Royal North Shore Hospital. Very active in research and teaching, Dr Walsh has published more than 90 peer-reviewed papers and holds a PhD from the University of New South Wales. As Clinical Senior Lecturer at the University of Sydney, he regularly teaches medical students and junior doctors. He has also been an invited speaker at medical conferences both in Australia and internationally. In Colin's own words, "Supporting women and their families through pre-pregnancy, pregnancy and birth is a privilege. I am passionate about providing my patients with the highest quality antenatal care, based on the most up-to-date research and technology. I am also a firm believer in informed patient choice and I know that each of my patients will have different needs and wishes. My practice is a friendly, welcoming environment with a focus on individualised care. My aim is always to work with you, respecting your choices, to achieve a happy and healthy outcome for mother and baby."
Areas of Expertise
Awards & Recognitions
- RCOG Harold Malkin Prize for Best Original Scientific Publication, 2013
- UNSW International Research Scholarship for PhD studies, 2009-2011
- International Urogynaecological Association International Research Grant, 2010
- UNSW Postgraduate Research Support Scholarship, 2010
- RCOG Ethicon Travelling Fellowship, 2008
- International Journal of Surgery Harold Ellis Prize for Best Scientific Paper, 2008
- Cambridge University Hospital Prize for Best Original Research Work, 2008
- British Maternal-Fetal Medicine Society Prize for Best Poster Presentation, 2006
Publications & Research
- Baxi, L., Walsh, C. (2010). Monoamniotic twins in contemporary practice: a single-center study of perinatal outcomes. The Journal of Maternal – Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 23(6), 506-510.
- Doyle, B., Quigley, J., Lambert, M., Crumlish, J., Walsh, C., McParland, P., Culliton, M., Murphy, K., Fitzgerald, J. (2014). A correlation between severe haemolytic disease of the fetus and newborn and maternal ABO blood group. Transfusion Medicine (Onli
- Walsh, C., Russell, N., McAuliffe, F., Higgins, S., Mahony, R., Carroll, S., McParland, P. (2013). Relationship between maternal antibody type and antenatal course following intrauterine transfusion for red cell alloimmunisation. European Journal of Obste
- Walsh, C., MacTiernan, A., Farrell, S., Mulcahy, C., McMahon, C., Franklin, O., Coleman, D., Mahony, R., Higgins, S., Carroll, S., et al (2014). Mode of delivery in pregnancies complicated by major fetal congenital heart disease: a retrospective cohort st
- Walsh, C., Manias, T., Patient, C. (2008). Atrial fibrillation in pregnancy. European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology and Reproductive Biology, 138(1), 119-120.
- O’Neill, H., Egan, G., Walsh, C., Cotter, A., Walsh, S. (2014). Omission of the bladder flap at caesarean section reduces delivery time without increased morbidity: a meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials. European Journal of Obstetrics Gynecology
- Walsh, C., McAuliffe, F. (2012). Recurrent twin-twin transfusion syndrome after selective fetoscopic laser photocoagulation: a systematic review of the literature. Ultrasound in Obstetrics and Gynecology, 40(5), 506-512.
- Walsh, C., Doyle, B., Quigley, J., McAuliffe, F., Fitzgerald, J., Mahony, R., Higgins, S., Carroll, S., McParland, P. (2014). Reassessing critical maternal antibody threshold in RhD alloimmunization: a 16-year retrospective cohort study. Ultrasound in Obs
- Doyle, B., Quigley, J., Lambert, M., Crumlish, J., Walsh, C., Adshead, S., Woolfson, M., McParland, P., Culliton, M., Fitzgerald, J. (2014). Red cell alloimmunisation following intrauterine transfusion and the feasibility of providing extended phenotype-m
- Shilling, C., Walsh, C., Downey, P., Mooney, E. (2014). Umbilical artery thrombosis is a rare but clinically important finding: A series of 7 cases with clinical outcomes. Pediatric and Developmental Pathology, 17(2), 89-93.
- Walsh, C., McAuliffe, F., Turowski, G., Roald, B., Mooney, E. (2013). A survey of obstetricians’ views on placental pathology reporting. International Journal of Gynecology and Obstetrics, 121(3), 275-277.
- Walsh, C., Cheng, Y., Mansfield, K., Parkin, K., Mukerjee, C., Moore, K. (2013). Decreased intravesical adenosine triphosphate in patients with refractory detrusor overactivity and bacteriuria. The Journal of Urology, 189(4), 1383-1387.
- Walsh, C., Baxi, L. (2008). Mean arterial pressure and prediction of pre-eclampsia. BMJ, 336(7653), 1079-1080.
- Walsh, C., Robson, M., McAuliffe, F. (2013). Mode of Delivery at Term and Adverse Neonatal Outcomes. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 121(1), 122-128.
- Lindsay, K., Walsh, C., Brennan, L., McAuliffe, F. (2013). Probiotics in pregnancy and maternal outcomes: A systematic review. The Journal of Maternal – Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 26(8), 772-778.
- Walsh, C. (2010). Evidence-based cesarean technique. Current Opinion in Obstetrics & Gynecology, 22(2), 110-115.
- Walsh, C., Foley, M. (2008). Ehlers-danlos syndrome in pregnancy. Fetal Diagnosis and Therapy, 24(1), 79.
- Walsh, C., Vallerie, A., Baxi, L. (2008). Etiology of stillbirth at term: a 10-year cohort study. The Journal of Maternal – Fetal & Neonatal Medicine, 21(7), 493-501.
- Walsh, C., Mayer, E., Baxi, L. (2007). Lyme disease in pregnancy: case report and review of the literature. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey, 62(1), 41-50.
- Walsh, C., Reardon, W., Foley, M. (2007). Unexplained prelabor uterine rupture in a term primigravida. Obstetrics & Gynecology, 109(2 PT 1), 455.
- Walsh, C., Mahony, R., Foley, M., Daly, L., O’Herlihy, C. (2007). Recurrence of fetal macrosomia in non-diabetic pregnancies. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, 27(4), 374-378.
- Walsh, C., Baxi, L. (2007). Rupture of the primigravid uterus: a review of the literature. Obstetrical & Gynecological Survey, 62(5), 327-334.
Insurance accepted by this Doctor
- Coventry Health Care