Ratings for Dr. Charles W. Washam, Psychoanalyst

I have been seeing Dr. Washam for around 8 months now, upon being recommended by one of my friends. He has helped my husband and I to improve our communication, level of trust, and overall relationship. Dr. Washam was even there to council me over the phone for an emergency situation that occurred between appointments. I look forward to our appointments and have learned so much about myself just in the time that I have been seeing him. He is perfect to talk to for any issue you could be facing—believe me, we have talked about so much over these months, and each bit of advice and knowledge has helped me. I highly recommend Dr. Washam to help you solve whatever issues you may be facing, he will not disappoint!!

flag | Submitted November 11, 2019

I give him full credit for saving my marriage and having that marriage be better than ever after 20 years. I also give him credit for saving the direction of my sons life. You what positive results. Call him

flag | Submitted October 9, 2019

A brief reading of several recent reviews strongly suggest that Dr. Washam has become a target of either Rate MDs ( who bait and coerce providers to purchase a Reputation Control package for $200 plus per month) or by a morally challenged person(s) who leaves fraudulent, inane , and specious reviews ; totally bankrupt of any substantive or helpful content . Regardless, this is clearly why GOOGLE and HEALTHGRADES are more respected and reliable sites for accurate and trustworthy reviews. Dr. Washam has worked with me over the past 18 months ; he has been a saint as a person and nothing short of outstanding as my psychoanalyst. Please Stop allowing defamatory and fraudulent reviews to be posted as a smear campaign against such a wonderful; generous; caring; incredibly skilled individual.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2019

I have been in analysis with Dr. Washam, twice a week, for the past three and a half years. Prior to seeing Dr. Washam, I was a patient with several Northern Kentucky "psychologists" and I only got worse. The more I talked to them, the more they silently sat, nodding and staring at me, rarely saying a word or challenging me to grow. My so called "progress" was expressed in my (destructively) acting out by cutting myself to feel alive. My life struggles and emotional health are very scary, and frequently dark. After tremendous personal growth, I believe that Dr. Washam is the finest therapist I could imagine. He has a gift where you feel genuinely accepted, valued, and understood, while at the same time isn't afraid to be direct, honest, and challenge you to grow. With Dr. Washam as my therapist, I am beginning to trust, believe, and have hope in discovering my own reasons to live.

flag | Submitted September 8, 2019

As Dr. Washam's patient for the last two years, I am truly grateful for everything he has done for me. With regard to my life, it has been incredibly complex, riddled with a lengthy and vicious divorce, I'm fighting depression, and battling for custody of my children. Dr. Washam has counseled me through unbearably tough times and has literally saved my life in more ways than one over the past couple of years. Anyone that thinks he can't handle a complex situation has clearly never seen him in person. Indeed, Dr. Washam has forgotten more than most people know. Again, I'm eternally grateful, Dr. Washam, that you go above and beyond to help your patients.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2019

I have been seeing Dr. Washam for about 6 1/2 years. He has been a genuine blessing in my life. He has always been insightful, honest, generous and exceptionally kind.He incorporates spiritual guidance and counseling from his priesthood paired with his specialized psychotherapy ministry. His views are unbiased, open minded and always has my best interest in mind. Dr. Washam's compassion, empathy and dedication to unconditionally help others help themselves is amazing. He has helped me to overcome and develop coping mechanisms with the struggles of depression and anxiety.Over the years, my son and I have not always had health insurance and have struggled financially, and yet he so generously provided gratis therapy (free) when I was suffering and required therapeutic counseling.His generosity and compassion are excellent examples of his moral character and genuine kindness. Dr. Washam is the best and most holistic therapist I have ever known. He is a genuinely spiritual individual.

flag | Submitted September 6, 2019

Best doctor I have ever seen! He really cares about his patients and he was able to correctly diagnose me in a matter of 2 sessions!

flag | Submitted September 5, 2019

I have met with several counselors over the years and Dr Washam is by far the best. In response to a previous comment about his running "over time," yes, that happened occasionally, but when it came to my time, I never felt rushed. I felt he was just as concerned about previous patient's issues as he was with mine, which made me appreciate him all the more. Being from the medical field myself, I was grestky impressed that he was able to diagnose my anxiety issues quickly and guide me to a path of recovery which I have implemented. I would highly recommend him. His knowledge, wisdom and a bit of humor made all the difference in my outlook on life.

flag | Submitted August 29, 2019

Dr. Washam’s clinical approach is a finely tuned technique and crafted style in which he develops a meaningful relationship grounded in honesty, empathy, insight, and analysis. Kathrine and I have been married six years, have two young sons, and we have met with Dr. Washam weekly since March of 2019. We are doing immensely better. We have essentially re-defined the foundation of our marriage, we are improving our communication, and we are now able to listen to one another with more dignity, respect and sensitivity. If you expect some sort of "quick fix" or superficial approach to resolving psychological issues, then Dr. Washam is not for you. But, if you genuinely want to confront the core issues that create impulsive and non-productive behaviors, then look no further. Dr. Washam is kind, nonjudgemental and humorous...but also quite direct, intense and engaging. He continually encourages you to search for the truth at all times no matter what. I recommend Dr. Washam without any reservations, and if you can get an appointment, you will not be disappointed!

flag | Submitted July 13, 2019

Dr. Washam has been the greatest therapist I've ever visited out of many. He is kind, compassionate and incredibly knowledgable. I truly believe that you have to "vibe" with a therapist in order to learn anything and I felt absolutely comfortable from the moment I walked into his office. I looked forward to therapy and the things we discussed because I knew he had my best interests at heart and would give it to me straight. He made me see a lot of things more clearly, and thanks to him & his genuine care for his clients, my life has changed for the better. I will be sad to leave KY and begin a search for a new therapist, but it is purely because of Dr. Washam that I feel strong enough to start living life again. I would recommend Dr. Washam to every person I know without thinking twice about it. He is wonderful!

flag | Submitted June 30, 2019

Dr. Charles W. Washam, Psychoanalyst's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Charles Washam specializes in modern psychoanalytic psychotherapy and marital and family therapy. He is professionally licensed in several states as a marriage and family therapist, clinical social worker, and professional clinical counselor, and has over 35 years of professional therapeutic experience . Dr. Washam is an ordained Episcopal priest ( 1978 ) , and his full time ministry has focused exclusively on providing psychotherapy ; he likewise enjoys teaching and preaching in parishes throughout the Diocese. Dr. Washam is a Board Certified Diplomate with the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work and the American Academy of Medical Psychotherapy. He is credentialed by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (Clinical Fellow), American Association of Pastoral Counselors (Fellow), American Group Psychotherapy Association, American Academy of Psychotherapists ( Fellow ) , the National Registry of Certified Group Psychotherapists, and the National Board for Certified Counselors. Dr. Washam completed his post graduate training and personal analysis in 1989 at the Atlanta Psychoanalytic Institute / Emory Medical School Dr. Washam's areas of clinical focus and treatment include anxiety disorders, bipolar, depression, impulse control and conduct disorders, personality disorders (borderline, dependent, narcissistic), and spirituality. He works primarily with adolescents and adults, and is committed to establishing and maintaining a collaborative working relationship with the patient's physician.

• English

• University of Kentucky (Grad. 1989)
  • Georgia State University (Grad. 1984)
  • College of Idaho (Grad. 1974)
  • Virginia Theological University (Grad. 1977)
  • Graduate Theological Union (Grad. 1989)

• Marriage counseling
  • Depression (Major Depressive Disorder)
  • Psychotherapy
  • Borderline personality disorder
  • Narcissistic personality disorder
  • Persistent depressive disorder (dysthymia)

• Board Certified Diplomate : American Board of Clinical Social Work
  • Board Certified Diplomate: American Board of Medical Psychotherapy
  • Fellow: American Association of Psychotherapy
  • Fellow: American Association of Clinical Pastoral Education
  • Post Graduate Training : Atlanta Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Institute at Emory University / 1984-1988
  • Training Analysis : Atlanta Psychoanalytic Institute