Dr. Charles W. Washam

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Charles W. Washam

I have struggled with a lot of issues from my childhood over the years, and have seen other counselors and therapists, but Dr Washam has, by far, been the most patient, caring, and honest professional I have ever dealt with. He has given me hope and coping skills so I can confront my past, control my present, and look forward to my future. I can't thank him enough, truly.

flag | Submitted January 16, 2018

Our 20 year old daughter has been in and out of 'rehab' for the past 3 years. She has struggled with drinking and opiates. We found Dr. Washam on the internet, and he has been fantastic. His insight and suggestions have helped us with our daughter as well as our marriage. He never rushes the sessions, is patient, understanding, kind and thorough. We are functioning much better now as a family; I strongly recommend Dr. Washam.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2018

We worked with Dr. Washam in family therapy because we have had difficulty blending our two families. My husband has one nine year old daughter and I have two boys, ages eleven and eight. The tension between our children was out of control and hurting the marriage; a lot of arguing, parents taking sides, discipline problems, etc. Dr. Washam has helped all of us improve our communication, and state our feelings in a clear and respectful way. Dr. Washam is kind, direct, to the point, but firm. He's been a tremendous help to us all.

flag | Submitted November 21, 2017

Top notch, incredibly thorough, he takes many, many notes, and always works closely with my primary doctor. Dr. Washam is generous with his time, he is upbeat, and shows compassionate and supportive interest in my overall health.

flag | Submitted November 4, 2017

Dr. Washam is compassionate and very understanding, and he helped make such a stressful time in my life go as smoothly as possible. His focus and high-energy can make you feel like you are his only patient, and I recommend him to anyone in need of a highly skilled therapist.

flag | Submitted September 26, 2017

Dr. Washam has exceeded my expectations, even after reading his many exemplary reviews. To begin, Dr. Washam is very down to earth; he is practical in his counsel and often times he will use sport's metaphors to help elucidate complicated and complex ideas. He listens carefully, pays attention to detail, and takes a ton of notes. There is never any doubt that he is fully present in each session, and often times I leave feeling emotionally exhausted. That said, he has helped me like no other.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2017

Dr. Washam is friendly, thoughtful, and has been of tremendous help. His style and approach are quite different from the other psychologists that I have seen over the years. He does not do "cover your as s" therapy where the doctor sits in a chair, says very little, and occasionally nods. Instead, Dr. Washam is energetic, talkative, and a masterful teacher, as he breaks down complicated psychological insights and helps make them easier to understand and apply in my life. His analytic perspective is challenging and provoking, but you never feel judged or dismissed. We have worked together on and off since 2014, and he has helped me live a fulfilling and productive life, with a borderline personality disorder. I recently completed my Ph.D. and I never would have stayed with it were it not for our work together. Dr. Washam is my therapist, my mentor, and my friend, and I am forever grateful.

flag | Submitted August 30, 2017

Dr. Washam is highly intelligent, skilled in treating severe depression and bi-polar disorders, and has remarkably helped my family. Dr. Washam is that rare therapist who somehow balances compassion with directness. We feel very fortunate and blessed to have him in our tri-county area.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2017

Dr. Washam is my favorite therapist that I have had. He has helped me so much in the past two years and I cannot thank him enough for it. He isn't afraid to say what he thinks and definitely won't baby talk you through what is going on, which is really refreshing. I would definitely recommend him to anyone who needs therapy or someone to talk to. He has been kind to my family and accepted us even through hard and dark times. Thank you for all that you have done. Xoxo.

flag | Submitted August 17, 2017

Thank you Dr. Washam. I always love what you have to say, and how you say it so clearly and compassionately. Your modern Freudian perspective is supportive and gently reveals the truth. Being able to find the real "you" - day by day - is a treasure for myself and those around me.

flag | Submitted August 9, 2017

Dr. Charles W. Washam's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Dr. Charles Washam specializes in psychoanalytic psychotherapy and marital and family therapy. He is licensed in several states as a marriage and family therapist, clinical social worker, and professional clinical counselor, and has over 33 years of clinical experience. Dr. Washam is also an ordained Episcopal priest and serves the church in various capacities. Dr. Washam is a Board Certified Diplomate with the American Board of Examiners in Clinical Social Work and the American Academy of Medical Psychotherapy. He is likewise credentialed by the American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (Clinical Fellow), American Association of Pastoral Counselors (Fellow), American Group Psychotherapy Association, American Academy of Psychotherapists, the National Registry of Certified Group Psychotherapists, and the National Board for Certified Counselors. Dr. Washam's areas of clinical focus and treatment include anxiety disorders, bipolar, death and dying, depression, impulse control and conduct disorders, personality disorders (borderline, dependent, narcissistic), and spirituality. He works primarily with adolescents and adults, and is committed to establishing and maintaining a collaborative working relationship with the patient's referring physician.

• English

• University of Kentucky (Grad. 1989)
  • Georgia State University (Grad. 1984)
  • College of Idaho (Grad. 1974)

• Marriage counseling
  • Depression (major depressive disorder)
  • Generalized anxiety disorder