Ratings for Dr. Bonnie Meatherall

I would very much like to be put in touch with the woman who provided the review of Dr. Bonnie Meatherall below. We had a similar experience with her, which was traumatic, and I have a similar background to the reviewer. We were obliged to seek help in Australia, and the bacterial parasites our son most definitely did have on board, which were identified with PCR (polymerase chain reaction) testing (for DNA of microorganisms and their secretions, esp. cytolytic enzymes + toxins), were also highly antibiotic-resistant . (FYI they were : Aeromonas hydrophila and Aeromonas veronii, biovar sobria - both highly pathogenic toxin- producers (similar to Shiga toxins from path. E. coli, Shigella dysenteriae, and any other bacterium capable of using its pilum, or similar protuberance, with which to slurp up the DNA containing the toxin recipe from a neighboring microorganism, via. HGT (horizontal genetic transfer). Almost six years on, we are still battling with the miserable sequelae that Dr. Meatherall's disparaging attitude, along with that of our son's initial G.I., Dr. Philip Blustein, caused. Many pathogenic microorganisms are highly antibiotic-resistant, OR they must not only be CORRECTLY IDENTIFIED in the first place with DILIGENT testing using advanced techniques, but they must also be subjected to equally diligent Antibiotic Susceptibility testing. If neither task if carried out early in the illness, the molehill becomes a foothill becomes an insurmountable mountain. Worst of all, Dr. Blustein had originally insisted that our son's symptoms, which began with SUDDEN ONSET high fever, and violent D. and V. in a TROPICAL LOCATION renowned for its ENDEMIC DYSENTERIC DISEASES, "could not possibly still be active" after several months, and that, therefore, the symptoms "must be" due to an "Auto-immune" condition. This was a marvellous excuse for downright laziness, and was exactly the attitude that Dr. Meatherall, whom we consulted for a second opinion, adopted. Worse still, even though our son's response to the antibiotics we had had to BEG Dr. Blustein to prescsribe our by then dying son (weight loss: 75 lbs of an already slim 6', 6" frame, had been SPECTACULAR - a literal resurrection, albeit temporary because of lack of correct identification of pathogens, and lack of antibiotic susceptibility testing, Dr. Meatherall deliberately downplayed this in our son's medical records. Thus what had been a night-and-day turnaround, with our son gaining a full EIGHT POUNDS of water weight in just THREE days, his chronic bleeding ceasing, and being able to SLEEP after almost a year of continually broken nights, was described by Dr. Meatherall as a "mild" response to antibiotics. And there that lie stands, in our son's records, prejudicing every subsequent doctor (he has seen 28 at the last count) against us all. It was not until three YEARS down the road, that I myself 'merely' the mother, following a sudden middle-of-the-night instinct, dug out and very carefully re-read the Pathologist's report (by the excellent Dr. Luedke) from our son's very first 'oscopy, in which mention of a possible 'Shiga toxin producing bacterium' was made following careful examination of gut epithelal tissue, that I realized that Dr. Blustein had never even bothered reading the report. It turns out that, yes, Aeromonas spp. produce Shiga-like toxins, via HGT, and that, yes, they are well known amongst the smorgasbord of pathogens in the location of our son's onset infection (Punta Cana, Dominican Republic - a location NOT known for conferring "auto-immune" diseases on people). We are still fighting for his life, and our own, and that of our other now grown children, has been turned upside down by this story of gross medical incompetence by the so-called Heal "Care" professionals. Dr. Meatherall, and certain of her colleagues, should not even be practising medicine. As it happens, medicine runs in my own family as well, down several generations. It is difficult, given how common these tragic stories are becoming, not to grow increasingly convinced that the medical profession is out, not to make patients better, but to hurt them. That was not the kind of medicine my father practised.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2018

My appointment with Dr. Meatherall could not have been more upsetting or frustrating. I was referred to her by my GP (it was a general referral to the Tropical Disease Clinic at the Foothills Hospital). I had been suffering from a drug-resistant parasite, which was proving untreatable after several months. While Dr. Meatherall was generous with her time, and punctual for the appointment, her bedside manner was cold and patronizing. Almost immediately, she refused to believe that the parasites become resistant to medication despite the fact that I had brought some recent parasitology scholarly articles from a leading Canadian university on the subject. She refused to look at them and instead called such research "speculative"; as I myself am an academic (and my grandfather was a Doctor), I found her blatant hostility for current research in her field surprising. She then proceeded to explain to myself and my husband that as the medication hadn't been successful, it was likely a psychological condition. She tried to prescribe therapy and mentioned anti-anxiety medication. When I asked if she would consider contacting other Parasitologists/Infectious Disease Specialists for more information on similar cases, or for counsel as to other medications/treatments, she refused point-blank. As a young, educated, professional woman, speaking to another young, educated, professional woman, I was disappointed at this Doctor's lack of empathy and interest. Luckily, I am generally an optimistic person, and hopefully one day I will look back at this appointment with bemusement and humor, but in the meantime, I would advise prospective patients to ask for an alternative Infectious Disease Specialist in Calgary. I would like to add that this is the first time I have ever left negative feedback for a medical professional, and I sincerely hope it is the last.

Submitted December 1, 2016

Dr. Bonnie Meatherall's Credentials

No, this doctor is not accepting new patients