Dr. Arif Karmali

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Arif Karmali

After seeing my family Doctor and getting x-rays to my right wrist which he thought was the problem, I suffered it out for another Month on pain killers and anti inflammatory medication before coming to see Dr. Arif Karmali, only to find out the issue was not my wrist, but the outer tendon in the thumb. we started treatment on it immediately and after about a month there was a significant improvement. I learned a valuable lesson, that we don't always have to go see our Family Doctor first for a injury or issue to a joint. Dr Karmali helped me diagnose the problem and came up with a game plan to Help me get back to normal daily activities "pain free" Thanks for the wonderful care.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2019

After falling during a U16 ski race, I found out that I had some tearing in my ACL, meniscus and some bone bruising in my right knee. This clinic was very helpful as it was the quickest one that was able to help after the fall. We were able to make noticeable progress and healing and I’m excited to get back on the ski hill!

flag | Submitted February 23, 2019

I went to see Dr. Karmali for my knee that I injured while doing some of my own landscaping after what I believed to be a complete failure of the public healthcare system to not only treat the injury but even to diagnose it properly. His diagnosis and his knowledge about my injury as well as his ability to expand my knowledge regarding my injury in terms that I could understand was what gave me the greatest confidence that he and his team at The Knee Clinic could treat my injury successfully. They did not let me down.

flag | Submitted February 3, 2019

In the late summer of 2018, I injured my left knee while playing golf. The pain starting during play with a tightening of the muscles around the knee. Near the end of play, the pain increased until it became very difficult to walk. The next day I was in a lot of pain and had difficult walking. I went to see my family doctor. He inspected the knee and decided to sent me for x-rays. I had the x-ray and waited a few days for the results. While waiting for the results I had a deja’vu. About 10 years ago I injured my upper back and it took 2.5 years for me to get a resolution and still today have not fully recovered, due to the time it took to process me in our public medical system. For the knee pain, I made the decision to take control of my situation and not wait for the public medical system. I decided to go to The Knee Clinic where I meet with Dr. Arif Karmali. He had me diagnosed (torn meniscus) and issued me a recovery plan within an hour. I spent the next 2 months seeing the staff at the clinic, going through chiropractic treat, physiotherapy and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) treatment. Today, I'm pain free and back to my normal activities. Even during the rehab I was able to play a little golf, but most importantly, I could live my normal life without any pain.

flag | Submitted January 2, 2019

Dr. Karmali and Tracy the physiotherapist have made such a big difference for me in a very short time. I have problems with my knees as well as my back, and they have both feeling so much better already. I look forward to feeling the results as more time and treatment is given to this. Doing my “homework” is not daunting, as Tracy shows me the movements and gives me a chance to practice with her. Then she sends me an email with pictures as a reminder of what to do at home. Both Dr Karmali and Tracy explain things so well, give their recommendations, and then give me the opportunity to decide what I am comfortable with. I didn’t expect to feel such rapid results and I am very pleasantly surprised. If you have knee trouble, it is worth a visit to this clinic.

flag | Submitted December 27, 2018

I was playing hockey in South Dakota and was dealing with knee pain at the bottom of my knee caps. It started this past spring of 2018 and got a lot worse when the hockey season started in September. By the beginning of November I was in too much pain to continue playing and decided to come home to Medicine Hat to see what was wrong. I was booked in with Dr. Karmali in Calgary that week and got diagnosed. Within an hour I knew exactly what was wrong with my knees, why this injury happened, and what I would need to do to get back to playing again. I was diagnosed with singdin Larson Johansson syndrome which is extreme stress on the patellar tendons, resulting in small tears. I spent the next 2 weeks in Calgary to see Dr. Karmali and his staff to receive treatment. I went through a number of chiropractic appointments with Dr. Karmali as well as physiotherapy with his staff. After 2 full weeks in Calgary at the clinic, my knees were feeling the best they had felt in close to 7 months. If it was available, I would have stayed in Calgary for additional time to continue receiving treatment from Dr. Karmali and his team.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2018

Have an very active early teenager with sore knees, sore elbow, hip flexor and he fixed all the above and then some. Can't say enough good things about Dr. Karmali. Not even sure how we found out about him and his clinic but best family decision we made in a while. Not only a knee specialist, knowledgeable with the entire body, Would and have recommended him to anyone looking for a doctor.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2018

Do recreational running (15 to 20Km a week) to balance having a desk job. Was looking to increase my distances this summer and was starting to ramp it up when one weekend suddenly had a sharp jabbing pain in my knee mid run. Never had any major issues other than typical muscle stiffness and soreness from working out previously so this was something very concerning. Was fortunate enough to get into see Dr. Karmali right after the weekend for an initial assessment where he determined that I had strained the LCL. He then set up a program of followup sessions for chiropractic treatment as well as physiotherapy through their clinic. From the progression of exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles and follow up treatments I was out of any pain or discomfort and have began to get back to my basic workout level within a 3 week period. I am continuing with the program they have outlined to make sure that I can continue to progress further on my original workout goals.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2018

I have been suffering with knee pain for years. It was determined that I have some arthritis in my right knee, which I was told by family doctor and a previous sports doctor to live with it. I have now developed a severely painful knee condition. I decided to see a professional knee specialist and I was lucky to have Dr. Karmali assess my problem in first consultation. He was very thorough and gave me answers to questions I have asked about for years. We have decided on a treatment plan and I will be starting the treatments this w eek. I'm looking forward to getting my quality of life back.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2018

I had torn the meniscus in my right knee in February, as well as suffering from osteoarthritis in both knees. As a health care professional, I am on my feet for over 8 hours daily, and having knee problems was impacting my professional and personal life. When I did not have any improvement after seeing my G.P., I went to Dr. Karmali to see if he could offer any relief. Between his Graston treatments, PRP on the right knee for the meniscus, and physiotherapy exercises, I am nearly pain free and able to perform my duties at work to my former level. I have a big hiking trip planned for the end of September, and if not for Dr. Karmali and his treatment plan, I am sure I would not be participating. As well, for people who have hospital/clinic phobias, the environment at the Knee Clinic is very relaxing. I highly recommend Dr. Karmali for anyone with knee issues.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2018

Dr. Arif Karmali's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Born and raised in Calgary, Dr. Karmali completed a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology at the University of Calgary in 2010. During this time, he gained a solid understanding of how various walking and running biomechanics can lead to injury as a practicum student at the Running Injury Clinic. Following his tenure at the University of Calgary, he successfully earned a Doctor of Chiropractic degree in 2014 from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in Toronto. His desire to practice as a Sports Specialist has led Dr. Karmali to undertake the challenge of being a Resident of the Royal College of Chiropractic Sports Sciences (Canada). As an athlete and recognized Exercise is Medicine Canada (EIMC) professional, Dr. Karmali thoroughly enjoys working with athletes of all levels. He is actively involved in his community and has future plans to volunteer his time and knowledge with World Spine Care. He also endeavours to earn the opportunity to give back to the chiropractic profession as a clinical supervisor and educator at a chiropractic institution. Dr. Karmali is a proud member of the Elite Sport Performance team. He embraces a comprehensive approach to healthcare and is committed to providing high-quality, evidence-informed, patient-centred care to facilitate improved performance and to achieve optimal wellness.