Dr. Arif Karmali

World Class Punctuality Badge
Exceptionally Helpful Badge
Highly Knowledgeable Badge

Ratings for Dr. Arif Karmali

I was playing hockey in South Dakota and was dealing with knee pain at the bottom of my knee caps. It started this past spring of 2018 and got a lot worse when the hockey season started in September. By the beginning of November I was in too much pain to continue playing and decided to come home to Medicine Hat to see what was wrong. I was booked in with Dr. Karmali in Calgary that week and got diagnosed. Within an hour I knew exactly what was wrong with my knees, why this injury happened, and what I would need to do to get back to playing again. I was diagnosed with singdin Larson Johansson syndrome which is extreme stress on the patellar tendons, resulting in small tears. I spent the next 2 weeks in Calgary to see Dr. Karmali and his staff to receive treatment. I went through a number of chiropractic appointments with Dr. Karmali as well as physiotherapy with his staff. After 2 full weeks in Calgary at the clinic, my knees were feeling the best they had felt in close to 7 months. If it was available, I would have stayed in Calgary for additional time to continue receiving treatment from Dr. Karmali and his team.

flag | Submitted December 5, 2018

Have an very active early teenager with sore knees, sore elbow, hip flexor and he fixed all the above and then some. Can't say enough good things about Dr. Karmali. Not even sure how we found out about him and his clinic but best family decision we made in a while. Not only a knee specialist, knowledgeable with the entire body, Would and have recommended him to anyone looking for a doctor.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2018

Do recreational running (15 to 20Km a week) to balance having a desk job. Was looking to increase my distances this summer and was starting to ramp it up when one weekend suddenly had a sharp jabbing pain in my knee mid run. Never had any major issues other than typical muscle stiffness and soreness from working out previously so this was something very concerning. Was fortunate enough to get into see Dr. Karmali right after the weekend for an initial assessment where he determined that I had strained the LCL. He then set up a program of followup sessions for chiropractic treatment as well as physiotherapy through their clinic. From the progression of exercises to strengthen the surrounding muscles and follow up treatments I was out of any pain or discomfort and have began to get back to my basic workout level within a 3 week period. I am continuing with the program they have outlined to make sure that I can continue to progress further on my original workout goals.

flag | Submitted October 19, 2018

I have been suffering with knee pain for years. It was determined that I have some arthritis in my right knee, which I was told by family doctor and a previous sports doctor to live with it. I have now developed a severely painful knee condition. I decided to see a professional knee specialist and I was lucky to have Dr. Karmali assess my problem in first consultation. He was very thorough and gave me answers to questions I have asked about for years. We have decided on a treatment plan and I will be starting the treatments this w eek. I'm looking forward to getting my quality of life back.

flag | Submitted September 11, 2018

I had torn the meniscus in my right knee in February, as well as suffering from osteoarthritis in both knees. As a health care professional, I am on my feet for over 8 hours daily, and having knee problems was impacting my professional and personal life. When I did not have any improvement after seeing my G.P., I went to Dr. Karmali to see if he could offer any relief. Between his Graston treatments, PRP on the right knee for the meniscus, and physiotherapy exercises, I am nearly pain free and able to perform my duties at work to my former level. I have a big hiking trip planned for the end of September, and if not for Dr. Karmali and his treatment plan, I am sure I would not be participating. As well, for people who have hospital/clinic phobias, the environment at the Knee Clinic is very relaxing. I highly recommend Dr. Karmali for anyone with knee issues.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2018

I visited Dr. Arif Karmali after suffering from a motor vechile accident and a concussion. Dr. Karmali first performed many neurological tests that were not preformed by the hospital. Once treatment began he was very informative and explained each procedure before they were preformed. Through his treatment by back and neck pain from the accident has disappeared. Moreover, he has helped relieve many of my concussion symptoms. Dr. Karmali is very knowledgeable and ensures you receive the correct treatment for your specific injuries.

flag | Submitted August 14, 2018

I have suffered from planters fasciitis for 4 years. As an active person, the condition was having a very negative impact on my quality of life. My feet would ache for hours or days after walking 18 holes, playing basketball or running anything over 5km. I have had orthotics for four years, and was performing regular stretching to ease the pain, but it would inevitably return after any physical activity. After a thorough initial consultation, Dr. Karmali recommended a treatment plan that involved a series of Graston Technique and active release therapy. The treatments were very uncomfortable and pushed me to my pain threshold, but they worked!! It took a few more sessions than we originally thought, but I'm happy to say that my feet are in the in the best shape they've been in for over five years! Now that there is almost no pain from the planters fasciitis, I'm exercising the problem area regularly, getting stronger and pushing myself to new limits.

flag | Submitted August 13, 2018

I went to see Dr. Karmali for knee pain earlier this year. He was very thorough during my initial assessment and gave me a diagnosis for the knee pain I was experiencing. His recommended treatment was the Graston Technique. After having the Graston technique done at my first follow-up I was in tremendous pain the next day. I decided to go back for my second follow-up, but was in tremendous pain again after that appointment. I thought "I should be getting better, not be getting worse". Therefore, I decided to cancel all of my future appointments. Dr. Karmali had also recommended having PRP injections done. The cost to have them done in the clinic was quite high, especially compared to the cost to have them done at a different clinic (ie. Mayfair Diagnostics or Canada Diagnostic Centre) (if I remember correctly, to have them done with Dr. Karmali would be almost double the cost of having them done at Mayfair or CDC.) I felt a bit put off that Dr. Karmali insisted that the injections done at Elite Sports Performance were superior to what would be done at CDC/Mayfair, and couldn't help but wonder if it was a cash-grab. I know that some clients have found Dr. Karmali extremely helpful; I, unfortunately, did not.

flag | Submitted July 26, 2018

Dr. Arif Karmali

Dr. Arif Karmali's response
Thank you for your note. I appreciate your candour! We take a great deal of pride in the work we do and I'm sorry the Graston left you less than happy with your treatment plan! A number of manual soft tissue techniques such as Graston or Active Release can leave a patient sore after the first few sessions. This should not raise any alarms as we know that for many individuals, the body simply takes some time to adjust to the therapy. If you'd like to re-visit your treatment plan, let us know! Myself or any of my colleagues would be happy to make the necessary modifications to suit your preferences. Although we prefer having our patients see our in-house doctor for PRP injections (quality control and clinical oversight), we would be happy to complete the requisite paperwork to refer you to another facility.

Submitted July 29, 2018

This young man is awesome!!. I would highly recommend him and his staff most enjoyable to walk in with a problem and leave healthier than arrival and the motivation you need to continue you life journey with out pain makes you feel young again Thank you so much for the kindness and pain free knee, foot and hip... :)<3 Terry

flag | Submitted July 10, 2018

Dr. Karmali is a very talended doc. He literally fixed my shoulder (pain 10 out of 10) in two weeks. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted June 25, 2018

Dr. Arif Karmali's Credentials

Yes, this doctor is accepting new patients

Born and raised in Calgary, Dr. Karmali completed a Bachelor of Science in Kinesiology at the University of Calgary in 2010. During this time, he gained a solid understanding of how various walking and running biomechanics can lead to injury as a practicum student at the Running Injury Clinic. Following his tenure at the University of Calgary, he successfully earned a Doctor of Chiropractic degree in 2014 from the Canadian Memorial Chiropractic College in Toronto. His desire to practice as a Sports Specialist has led Dr. Karmali to undertake the challenge of being a Resident of the Royal College of Chiropractic Sports Sciences (Canada). As an athlete and recognized Exercise is Medicine Canada (EIMC) professional, Dr. Karmali thoroughly enjoys working with athletes of all levels. He is actively involved in his community and has future plans to volunteer his time and knowledge with World Spine Care. He also endeavours to earn the opportunity to give back to the chiropractic profession as a clinical supervisor and educator at a chiropractic institution. Dr. Karmali is a proud member of the Elite Sport Performance team. He embraces a comprehensive approach to healthcare and is committed to providing high-quality, evidence-informed, patient-centred care to facilitate improved performance and to achieve optimal wellness.

Providence