Ratings for Dr. Alissa Pencer

I saw Dr Pencer for about two years (which were the worst two years of my life). In this time I was 12 to 14. She diagnosed me with severe OCD. Instead of helping me to understand my condition, give me tools to move past the struggles, her treatment only added stress which worsened my symptoms. From my first appointment with Dr Pencer, I knew I was in a tough position. My parents, who did not know any better way to help with my condition forced me against my will to seek treatment from her. In this time, Dr Pencer did not listen to how my OCD worked and assumed things about how my thoughts worked. Due to this she did not understand my disorder or the proper way to treat it. She tried to make me believe things that I knew weren't true about myself. I knew nothing bad was going to happen, I just liked the way things felt when they were clean. She couldn't even grasp that concept. Dr Pencer's bio on websites says she has excellent training in comment and support in her treatments. I'm calling bull on the whole thing. There was cruel. She did not understand my condition. The team of doctors had under qualified staff on my case. I know this now after seeking a university education and have realize that the people on my team did not the degrees to qualify the treatment they put me through and came at the wrong approach to the lack of knowledge. Thus adding stress and a result of worse symptoms. As mentioned, she tried to convince me that my ocd worked in this way when those thoughts had little to do with my ocd now that I have had time to reflect on my years as her patient. When treatment finally ended because she was not making it better, only worse, I felt like someone had rescued me from a dungeon. My symptoms were almost immediately erased with in a few months of NOT being treated by her. Dr Pencer made me fall apart. She ruined my relationship with my parents because of the approach she took with them. I did not trust them with any information. I would basically avoid them in the house in fear that together, my parents and Dr Pencer would find more ways to shrink my world. Dr Pencer talked about me in front of me with the others on my case and parents without talking to me or asking me how I felt about the course of treatment or what she was treating which made her incompetent of helping me. Dr Herman, tore me apart. When lying in bed, when the house is quiet, and you are alone with your thoughts, some think about the hardship of the day, recalling a loved one, laughing at the funny thing your coworker said, the busy to do list tomorrow holds. I don't think about any of those things. Instead, I try to piece together what was done to me in those dark times. Why Dr Pencer thought she was helping me. Recalling how she couldn't recognize OCD and privacy. I have a vivid memory in my exposer therapy that took place with under qualified individuals who were untrained and unfamiliar with the details of my condition due to the fact that Dr Pencer refused to listen to me. In this memory, during an "exposer" that my brother took part of happened in my bedroom where my OCD symptoms were very strong. What do you keep in your bedside table? A diary, that unfinished chocolate bar. That picture that you love that is personal of you and a love that you want no one to see or know about? Drawers are very personal with whatever you keep in them. I'm sure when you were 12 you didn't want your brother going through your underwear drawers and seeing your training bra. Neither did I. Since I showed resistance, my social worker immediately had my brother sort through them. Like I said, my parents were ignorant too and allowed this. My OCD has nothing to do with my dresser, being a person not wanting to have her brother go through her personal things is just human. That's what I think about before I go to sleep. Trying to sort through this mess, trying to understand what happened to me. Why someone hurt me in such an repairable way. I know what you must be thinking, "Dr pencer must have had no idea." But I made it very clear, once to twice a week that I was very UNHAPPY about how she made me feel like I wasn't a person, like I was some laboratory rat. Dr Pencer is someone who makes my chest hurt when I think about what she put me through. Dr Pencer broke me, shattered me into a dozen pieces that I have yet to figure out how to glue together. Do your child a favor, do yourself a favor and avoid walking into this nightmare because before you know it, Wonderland will be real, and there is no escaping it once she traps you. Although leaving her made my stress and OCD practically disappear, she has never really left me or the baggage I carry. And the luggage she gave me isn't very pretty.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2016

I saw this woman about 10 years ago for counseling. She caused a great deal of stress, refused to explain things and suggested several things to my parents that made things worse. I had been through trauma and she did not ask, was not concerned about my safety and definitely caused an even further decrease in my stability. She would refer to me as highly intelligent or extremely bright, yet if I asked her to explain something or noted the explanation did not actually make logical sense it turned into a fight about her being right over actually explaining things so I could reap the benefit. This is a classic case of ego in psychology. She does not listen and if you are a parent, I assure you to seek help elsewhere as she will have a very difficult time engaging your child. If you suspect they have been through trauma or their life may be at risk due to their instability, I urge you to seek help elsewhere as she will make things worse and will not be able to make them better. She lacks competence and real empathy.

flag | Submitted April 19, 2016

Let's just say, I've seen plenty of doctors to help overcome the problems seeing Dr Pencer caused me. Nearly four years later and the trauma from her harsh treatment is still a very touchy subject.

flag | Submitted June 4, 2015

Dr. Alissa Pencer 's Credentials

No, this doctor is not accepting new patients

Oxford