Ratings for Dr. James Starr

Do not go to Dr. Starr. He is not good with Children and worse with those with disabilities. I went to him as a child. I have cerebral palsy (CP) and as a result of my disability I gag easily and as a result I had and still have anxiety regarding dentists. I went to him and had to get a filling. I got scared and started to cry which increased my gagging even more. He continuously yelled at me and used scare tactics, including but not limited to telling me that if I did not stop crying he would make my mom leave the room (she stayed in the room with me just incase she was needed to help move me or anything). Needless to say my mom did not bring me back to his office and we went to a new dentist who was very understanding and did many fillings under general anesthetic until I was comfortable enough to do it in office and with Nitrous oxide. If you have children go to Dr. Young instead.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2017

We did't have to wait too long once we were in the waiting room but it is hard to get an appointment and they have awful hours. The hygenists are VERY friendly and reception is friendly but not when you need a different appointment. Dr Starr's bedside manner is lacking and shaming is a big tactic. We switched to a dentist with better hours and when i called to cancel and mentioned we were switching it was a really big deal/debate.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2017

All about money and orthodontics for every child you know. Was more concerned about future orthodontic work than the reason we went (cavity)found him arrogant. And rude. Interrupted when I spoke. Hope to be referred to a new dentist in the near future to treat the reason for the consult.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2017

He's only after the benefits and doesn't care much about small kids with problems in their mouth

flag | Submitted November 15, 2016

Seems like a MONEY HUNGRY doctor to me! Over a year wait time for my child to be seen because she has healthy smiles and he wont be paid as much as people with regular insurance... outrageous and ridiculous!!!!! Where is the understanding and compassion? Will be taking her elsewhere!!!

flag | Submitted September 28, 2016

Excellent dentist. I went as a child and now bring my own kids

flag | Submitted March 19, 2016

All 3 of my children required hospitalized dental work when they were toddlers. Dr. Starr always seemed like a competent surgeon and provided clear information for us to make decisions. However, as my children got older, our years of patronage meant nothing. Wait times both in the office and trying to get an emergency appointment were unreasonable. Always felt like a money grab. By the way, his fees always exceeded my Green Shield coverage and you are required to pay up front and wait to be reimbursed. Call for a toothache, get an appointment in a week to ten days, then you'd have to wait for another appointment in 2-3 weeks. In a surgery situation you appreciate a doctor who is laid back like everything is no big deal. When facing a painful tooth, you want urgency in a resolution. The last straw for me was the way he 'treated' my daughter with a rare terminal illness. I'd bring her in for a checkup and he'd barely look in her mouth. He discouraged her having cleanings because she was nonverbal and 'difficult' to manage. The last issue was that I brought her in when I noticed that one of her teeth had broken below the gumline ( it took over a week to get in). Once again, he barely looked at it. And said if it isn't hurting you just leave it alone no big deal. Within a couple weeks, it developed an abscess. She woke up with that entire side of her face swollen to the point that she couldn't open her eye. Of course, she required emergency services. Always frustrating when a doctor dismisses the concerns of the parents. At that point I had been seeing this doctor with my children for over 10 years. He should have recognized that I was not an alarmist parent but rather one that was careful in what treatments to pursue with my children. When I express my concerns in his lack of attentiveness to the situation, he suggested that I take my children elsewhere. Also note they discourage parents going back with children when they're being treated. This doesn't sit well with me and should be a red flag. One time when my son was getting his teeth cleaned I found the technician to be very harsh and rough and abrupt with him instead of gentle and encouraging.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2015

I was told that my daughter had to be in the hospital for a tooth to be pulled (when she didn't) and my son was asked to wait nearly a month to have a tooth fixed after he had been on medication for it being abscessed. This was totally unacceptable and I transferred both of my kids.

flag | Submitted June 18, 2015

flag | Submitted August 19, 2014

Do yourself a favour, and don't bring your kids to see Dr. Starr if you have an Autistic child. The staff that he has working there is excellent, but Dr. Starr is not accommodating and not very compassionate. The staff was more helpful than he ever was. He has no patience whatsoever and discharges patients when he can't deal with them. He discharged my daughter from his office without any type of recommendation for a new dentist. The receptionist was very nice and on my way out recommended a new dentist. Very unprofessional "periodontal" dentist!

flag | Submitted July 17, 2014