Ratings for Dr. Theodore A. Goodman

My husband has been under Dr. Goodman's care for 7 yrs both as an inpatient and outpatient. Dr. Dr.Goodman and I have had many conversations regarding ECT for my husband. After research and consulting family members in the Medical Field, I felt it was the best plan to try ECT as a way to turn around the Bipolar problems, my husband had been suffering from. Dr. Goodman and I have established a positive relationship with the care of my husband. Dr.Goodman explains the medication and care plan with me, and has made himself available for any problems my husband is having. We are fortunate in the fact that my husband is responding to the treatment and the careful handling of medications. I would certainly recommend Dr. Goodman and ECT under his skillful hands and knowledge of the latest medical treatment for Bipolar patients. Gloria Thomas

flag | Submitted October 31, 2013

I'm 19 years old and have been suffering from depression for the majority of my life. I've been hospitalized three times within the past year alone and have been on too many drugs to count. I've also suffered from bulimia and anorexia since I was 14 and have been in residential treatment programs for that as well. Nothing I'd been doing seemed to help with either the depression or the eating disorder, at least not until I tried ECT. ECT has been an absolute life-saver. Within the first few treatments my depression began to turn around like I never could of imagined it would. Not only has my depression gotten better but I've made tremendous progress on my eating disorder. If it weren't for ECT I don't think I could have recovered from my eating disorder. I have experienced some memory loss, but compared to what I was dealing with the memory loss is the least of my concerns. If you're experiencing severe, treatment-resistant depression I would definitely consider ECT and Dr. Goodman.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2013

My husband was a patient of Dr. Goodman's for 14 months. We were extremely scared of doing ECT but medicine was not working for my husband's deep depression. Dr. Goodman listened to our concerns and offered us hope. We had no idea how truly helpful these treatments would be. We started seeing results around the 9th or 10th treatment and it was all continually better after that. Bill did suffer from some memory loss but he was feeling so much better we didn't care. We got our lives back and I truly felt it was a miracle. Bill and I know that if the depression should ever come back, we would not hesitate to go back to ECT immediately. Dr. Goodman was always available to answer our questions and to put us at ease if we had any concerns. We did have plenty of long waits for our appointments, but my husband feeling better and getting back to normal, far out weighed the waiting time. I would be happy to talk to anyone who is having trouble deciding on whether to do ECT. Maureen Storey

flag | Submitted September 25, 2012

I was treated by Dr Goodman in 2003 and he saved me from going to Napa Valley and be confined for the rest of my life.I trust him and also I do not want to have more ect treatments. I am glad that he helped me with schizophrenia. It is a battle every day but with this medication and my will power I have been away from hospitals since 2003.Good luck to the ones they need ECT. By the way, I still remember things from my life but unfortunately some of the study I did at the Sac State I needed to read and learn again. ingrid stewart

flag | Submitted August 7, 2012

Our daughter suffers from schizophrenia and PTSD, among other things. She became very aggressive. With the first treatment from Dr. Goodman, she began to "turn around". She is extremely ill, but with his help, we've been able to keep her at home with us. He is kind and caring, and when she has problems, he is prompt in returning calls and is continually searching for new ways to make her feel better. We are so lucky to have Dr. Goodman! In helping her, he helps all of our family.

flag | Submitted June 5, 2012

Dr. Goodman has been nothing but optimistic, positive and kind in treating my long term debilating depression. With the ECT treatments that he provides I have been able to become reengaged in my personal and professional life.

flag | Submitted June 1, 2012

I'm Sylvia Brown, 51 years old. Dr. Goodman helped a condition called RSD for me and changed my life. Electro Convulsive Therapy was the treatment. Normally used for depression,when meds won't work. Although not enough research has been done, it works for many people with RSD. This has enabled me to have a full life again. He's an excellent doctor. Sylvia M. Brown

flag | Submitted December 6, 2011

In the beginning of my depression, I was under the care of a Psych. who tried many anti-depressants and combitions of such. After a few months of this treatment, I ended back in the Psych. hosp. The overall effect was 30 lbs.! This treatment was with 4-5 hosps. a year! Finally, my psych. gave up on me, and on a visit to SUTTER psych. I met Dr.Theodore Goodman. OUr first conversation, he mentioned ECT, and with much objection from me I said,"NO WAY!" When I realized my orig. psych. had given up on me, I trusted Dr. Goodman. One of the first things he did was a thyroid test, and found me hypo-thyroid.After 1 yr. on meds. I lost all 30 lbs.!My trust and confidence in Dr. Goodman grew imensely.I still had my doubts about ECT. Dr. Goodman always had words of encouragement. I found hospitalizations fewer and fewer.In fact, in the last 5yrs. under DrG's care,only one hospitalization has occurred.I would refer him to anyone!

flag | Submitted November 23, 2010

I had adult onset depression that was misdiagnosed by other doctors as bi polar disorder. I had many different anti depressant and other medications, and I ended up curled up in a ball in my bedroom for over a month, unable to eat or bathe or get dressed. As kind of a last resort, I turned to ECT, the idea of which scared me. However, it has given me my life back. I still have small, short bouts of feeling down but nothing like the debilitating depression I suffered before. And, yes there has been some short term memory loss (searching for words for longer than I would like) but on the whole it has been very positive. Dr. Goodman has been nothing but kind and helpful and compassionate. I would recommend him highly. Just go to his waiting room and talk to the other people there, they will tell you he does great work.

flag | Submitted November 18, 2010

ECT helps pull you out of depression however, Dr. Goodman may continue to give way, way, way too many treatments. One should receive between 6-12 treatments and he gave me 63. I began complaining at every treatment that my memory was continuing to get worse but he would just pat my hand and tell me not to worry. I trusted him and now I've lost huge chunks of my long term memory and am still working hard to recover my short-term memory. ECT can be good, Dr. Goodman can be bad. Just be careful.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2010

Dr. Theodore A. Goodman's Credentials

• Univ Of Ca, San Diego, Sch Of Med, La Jolla Ca 92093 (Grad. 1976)

Workers Comp