Ratings for Dr. Theodore A. Goodman

I have to agree with December 20, 2014, and you may think I'm a little miffed, please wait until the end. In 2013 I was hospitalized again and after the first week, I was asked by the staff, who was assigned to me, if I be willing to meet with Dr. Goodman, which I agreed. My husband and I sat and listen to Dr. G about how ECT really help my depression. He is very knowledge and nice. I did mentioned to Dr. G that I need to be on the morning list because I get faint if I don't have something in my stomach. He said he'd make a note of that, so I began my treatments, which were 3 per week. The first treatment I was a nervous mess, when your name is called by staff's selective algorithm, I called around 2:00-2:30. The result of my first treatment? I had a fierce headache and to top that off, I also bit through my lip. After discharged I was still on 3 per week, and the earliest appointment Nurse Ratchet was able to ever schedule me was 11:00. Yeah Me! for an early appointment right? We arrive at 11am, and nervously wait another 2 or 4 hours. Once you're in the room someone rushes around and the anesthesiologist works on getting an IV. While cringing as the anesthesiologist tries 1-2 times to get a vain you get your time with Dr. G, which is not much at all. I know other reviews say he takes all the time a patient needs, sorry my expectations are a bit higher. And yes, it is his way or the highway with no explanations and definitely no time for questions. One day a question came up about the date when our children were born, for the life of me I could not remember dates or their middle names. I began to forget names of relatives too. I couldn't take the headaches and body aches plus with the memory issues, I decided to call it quits. I called and left a message with Dr. G and yes he called back the next day. I told him I was going to run out of refills and he said I needed to contact my psychiatrist. I tried but couldn't get in soon enough. Since I hadn't seen him in months and didn't have my file from Dr. G, I would have to wait for an appointment. I ran out and experience a horrible crash. Three years later I'm discovering I lost chunks of memories. I won't know what all is lost until I hear or asked about a subject matter. As for short term memory loss, I've suffered every day once treatments stopped. Studies state that the latter of my paragraph is wrong. I met at least five women around my age who had the same number treatments (+/-) as me and we all experience the same symptoms. I agree Dr. G is in big demand, then don't over schedule. If that doesn't work, then stop adding new patients that you know full well you cannot provide to proper amount of time with each patient.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2016

There are no words that can express the gratitude that I have for Dr. Theodore Goodman and his recommendation of ECT Treatment for my major depressive disorder. Prior to ECT, my life felt hopeless and most days I fought against suicidal thoughts. I had completely withdrawn from friends and family and was nearing the inability to function at work and in society. After years of ineffective treatment of medications that did not lift the depression, my psychiatrist mentioned ECT treatment. After researching ECT and speaking with Dr. Goodman, I decided that ECT was the last hope that I had of being able to function in life. Never did I imagine that I would one day be free of ALL depression, that my life would feel hopeful, and that I would love getting up every day, but after a few short months of treatment, I am depression free. Dr. Goodman is compassionate, sincere, honest, humble and truly desires for his patients to be cured. His demeanor remains consistent despite the numerous questions I ask regularly, and he has given me hope for my future. I highly recommend ECT for the treatment of major depressive disorder and Dr. Goodman. He truly is the best psychiatrist I have ever seen.

flag | Submitted November 17, 2015

I have to agree with the rating on August 27, 2015. I feel the same way. This isn't my first real win, this is my only win. Medication never helped much, if any. Dr. Goodman saved my life. Dr. Goodman gave me a life that I can enjoy. When I say Dr. Goodman that includes his staff. You feel that you are the only patient in the world when they are taking excellent care of their patients.

flag | Submitted September 7, 2015

I have been treated with various medicines for years trying to combat bi-polar disorder. The ECT from Dr. Goodman has been my first real win in this long battle. It as though I have been given my life back.

flag | Submitted August 26, 2015

When many doctors would've given up on me, Dr. Goodman continues to go the extra mile. Dealing with mental illness is a road I never thought I'd go down. Clinical depression has invaded my world! I've seen dozens of doctors, have had years of treatment, and am a complicated case. I began ECT when every other option I'd tried had failed. ECT gave me glimmers of normalcy. The side effects of ECT (memory loss mainly) were taking their toll on me. I looked into options. TMS was the best option I could find. I was fortunate to be one of the first TMS patients at Sutter Psych. It has without a doubt, given me my life back. Because TMS is so relatively new, insurance continuously has to be challenged to pay. So frustrating...for me and for Dr. Goodman...yet he has fought for my care, and continues to do so. I'm not just another face or number to him. I'm a person...a person who he sees has a life, personality, and purpose beyond depression! This is huge! I can only imagine what it must be like to see people dealing with depression all day long, every single day....yet...I am an individual...one that is cared about. His knowledge, generosity, and time is more than appreciated by me! It's a tough road. I'm so grateful to have a doctor who is willing to go above and beyond so I can live the healthiest life possible...very, very grateful!

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

I wish I could echo the ratings of these previous patients. My daughter has suffered from clinical depression as well as OCD and severe anxiety for more then 5 years. After years of not responding to drugs, it was with great trepidation she chose ECT. She has now been under Dr. Goodman's care for several weeks and while we didn't expect miracles, we did expect a personal and caring relationship with him. He obviously knows what he is doing as it relates to the science of his field, however I find him to be lacking in the most rudimentary people skills. I find him to be impatient and often dismissive, with a take it or leave it attitude. This coupled with the seemingly in ability for anyone to schedule a reasonable amount of time for procedures causes an average of two to five hours waiting for your appointment. My personal experience leaves me unable to give he and his staff more then a C- rating at best..

Submitted December 30, 2014

I have only praise for Dr. Goodman, his staff, and Sutter Psychiatric. Before him, I suffered from major depression for over 20 yrs. I had gone through all medicines, & combinations. They would help for awhile, & then the bottom would fall out & I was back in the hospital, feeling suicidal. Medications did not sustain me. Dr. Goodman was always encouraging, kind and caring. He took whatever time I needed to talk before ECT. He always remembered me and personalized the discussion prior to ECT. After several treatments & finding a medication, my depression began to lift. Hospitalization decreased and my life became liveable again. No words can express the joy of having my life given back to me. Dr. Goodman and ECT were two things I grabbed onto in the dark pit of depression. They helped me to climb out of that pit into the light of life again. Dr. Goodman is not only very proficient with ECT, but he is one of the best men I have ever known. I will always consider him my Dr. and friend.

flag | Submitted January 23, 2014

I had Dr Goodman give me ECT treatment in 2003. I have been a productive individual since then. I am still working at the sime job as engineer. The first 4 years were tough because of my loss of memory. Now, I am enjoying myself and I am reading any time I get. I also rest when things get tough. I am craving for balance in my life every day. I havent changed my medicine in 10 years. I had to cut down to some of his prescriptions but I did it is small amounts and lowered it every six month until I felt that I was still feeling good. I am not adivising this to anybody. You do what you feel you should do. I am doing very well and the people who know about this almost forgot of what i have been through. My family is very supportive and I have a lot of friends. I pray every day that I will feel good as I feel today.Good luck to all of us. My husband has been though everything with me. He Still is. ingrid stewart

flag | Submitted January 18, 2014

I have been seeing Dr. Goodman for over 3 years and have always found him to be thorough and knowledgeable. He takes time to answer all my questions. His 'bedside' manner is supurb. My wife always joins me for the start of my treatment (ECT)and he answers her questions and concerns as well and has always returned our calls in a timely manner. A few times I have had a psychiatric incident when the office was closed - same responsive service. He got back to be as soon as the office opened again or an on-call doctor contacted me. Prior to receiving treatment from Dr. Goodman, I was being hospitalized every several months. Since I started my treatments with Dr. Goodman over 3 years ago, I have not been hospitalized. I have my life back and have the utmost confidence in his treament and care of my condition. We have never heard anything negative from any of his patients - only gratitude.

flag | Submitted November 19, 2013

Dr. Goodman has been the best doctor I've had, and has helped me so much with my chronic pain disease with ECT. I would have been in a wheelchair without him. He is professional, kind, and relates to patients well.

flag | Submitted November 13, 2013

Dr. Theodore A. Goodman's Credentials

• Univ Of Ca, San Diego, Sch Of Med, La Jolla Ca 92093 (Grad. 1976)

Neighborhood Health Partnership