Ratings for Dr. Alan Eppel

Dr, Eppel may not be helpful to your mental health.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2017

Grew increasingly frustrated and angry with me when various medications he tried on me did not work, and had side effects, some severe. The relationship eventually became toxic where he would put words in my mouth to justify his anger. In the 4 days leading up to an appointment, my anxiety would grow and grow as I was so scared of him. By the time I got to see him, I was so panicked that when he got mad at me, I couldn't think straight. I personally know a woman who saw him for 14 years, and he did the same thing to her and then he lied to her and told her he was retiring, and dumped her without any psychiatric help, and wouldn't refer her to another psychiatrist. She was alone and without help. I've been afraid he would do the same to me as I discovered that he was also lying to me about the number of days he was in clinic, to explain the widening gap between my appointments. A family member came with me to one of my first appointments with him, and came out of it saying that he didn't seem like a man who cared about me at all. And as time went on and it became apparent that I wasn't going to be an easy fix, he did indeed, stop caring about me. He is all about medication and no compassion. He scares the begeezus out of me, and has actually been detrimental to my mental health.

flag | Submitted October 20, 2017

Kindhearted knowledgeable insightful hopeful

flag | Submitted December 28, 2016

Can't say enough about Dr Eppel and Marcia. Thank you for getting me through very toxic times in my life and finding the medications that helped me live a near-to-normal life. Thank you.

flag | Submitted January 22, 2016

He believed that PTSD could be cured by drugs alone. He was court ordered, so I could not get away from him. He loaded me up with antidepressants. I was fighting a compensation case, which he got mixed up in. I had been fighting the case for almost ten years. Every Psychiatrist I had said I had PTSD, but him. He submitted a loosely worded report that gave the compensation board an out. The time I spent with him was not only a waste, physically, and mentally, damaging and helped to destroy my case. I should have won that case. Now I am into my old age and live on nothing. It's a miracle I survived that man. God bless him.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2015

I was a patient for 35 years and have never found a psychiatrist that could understand and stabilize me. Many times he came to my rescue after other Dr.'s mismanaged my meds and diagnosis so badly I became psychotic. He supported my family as well when I was very ill in hospital. Always caring and dependable. I could trust him. He respected my intelligence and treated me as an equal partner in my treatment-never putting me down because I was ill. A very caring, intelligent doctor trying not to find precise medication use. Thanks to him I am alive.

flag | Submitted November 9, 2014

he only wants you to be on antidepressants all the time, I've seen him for years and he did not help me when I didn't want to use medication to treat my depression. He was very emotionally closed off. Hes a good doctor if you want a purely medical approach.

flag | Submitted September 25, 2014

I've had the pleasure of knowing, both Dr Eppel and his Administration Assistant, Marcia for 14 years. Marcia's smile, always brightens my day; her prompt, professional and compassionate response to my needs has resulted in my immense trust in the mental health system.....finally after 24 years, prior to meeting both Marcia and Dr. Eppel. Dr. Eppel, has been my rock for all of these 14 years. He has been my Psychiatrist, working diligently to form the appropriate medications to move forward in managing my illness. Dr. Eppel has been my Psychologist, there for me always in various traumatic situations I have encountered. He always calls me back the same day, when I'm in need. Dr. Eppel has always treated me as an equal and worked in partnership with me to weed through my challenges. I have never experienced a Health Care Professional who cares so much. I am so thankful I have met both Marcia and Dr. Eppel. Words can never express the gratefulness and deep trust, their actions and behaviours have impacted me. Thank you both. You shall always have a large slice of my heart.

flag | Submitted August 20, 2014

Dr Eppel has been extremely helpful and available when I have needed him. He possesses a lot of knowledge which is comforting as his patient.

flag | Submitted June 26, 2014

Really nice guy. I felt like he genuinely cared, but seemed a little at a loss as to how to help me. Having said that, my issues are famously challenging to treat, and I'd say that for most issues, Dr.Eppel is very competent informed and certainly trustworthy. A good man, but not a miracle worker in my case, but they can't all be miracle workers, and I think he did his best, which is all we can ask of anyone. He was certainly very patient with me, which is greatly appreciated. He is a bit reserved, emotionally, which is perhaps as he was trained, and helpful to many, but I found it a little hard to connect with him. Again, that's not really his fault per se. I never once had an issue with Marcia, his secretary - terrific.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2012