Ratings for Dr. Mary C. McCarthy

I am active 50+ woman and injured my knee Dec 2010. Upon examining my knee, she stated that "weekend warrioring" can result in injuries. First, I exercise regularly. Second, I found her comments offensive and very unprofessional. I asked her for a referral for an MRI, after which she launched into a lengthy lecture on how expensive they are, how patients ask for them when they really don't provide any valuable information, and why these "unnecessary" tests contribute to high insurance rates. She then talked about her own knee injury and that I just needed to "buck up" and get used to the pain. That was the last time I saw her. Her approach with patients is oppressive, extremely opinionated, and worst of all, she doesn't listen. I saw a new doctor the next week who ordered an MRI immediately, which showed a piece of bone missing from my knee. My new doctor, a physician that listens, referred me to an orthopaedist, who treated my knee with an injection intended to fill the hole.

flag | Submitted February 22, 2012

With the new staff in the office, i have never experienced any of these problems listed below. The office Manager Babara i think her name is & the back office nurse Amanda made my visit worth my while and after only a 15 minute wait i would refer anyone to this office! Dr McCarthy understood my problems and symptoms, her quality of care is wonderful! Thumbs UP!!

flag | Submitted May 23, 2011

I'd request first a.m. appointment or first after lunch..would still get in 45 minutes after set time. Didn't fax blood work requests when asked, Dr. didn't order routine physical tests when asked said If OK last year will order every two years--not good medicine in my opinion. Blood work is one of best ways to ID a problem early on.

flag | Submitted November 29, 2010

Dr. McCarthy is a joke of a doctor. Each visit has to be for ONE medical reason only; if you need to discuss anything else about your condition, she flips out and tells you to book another appointment.She also yells and belittles her nurses, which I have heard a number of times, for not doing something correctly or per her wishes. The worst things is that when you describe a symptom, she discounts it by going on and on about HER own experience with said symptom (or her husband's), and usually tells you it will just take time to clear up...because hers did. She will very rarely make a referral to a specialist, since she knows how to treat everything herself! She talks to you very condescendingly, like you are a child and know nothing about your own health issues or your own body. The wait in the office is outrageous...never less than an hour to get into the inner office! I would not recommend this doctor to anyone.

flag | Submitted June 30, 2010

This doctor is so rude and abrasive. She won't let you get a word in and she goes on and on. her staff gets reprimanded continually and you can hear it from the lobby and while you wait and wait and wait. I won't ever recommend this office/doctor. The people at the desk argue and chew out people they work with in front of an always jammed lobby. This place is no good.

flag | Submitted February 10, 2010

Thank God for message boards like this for doctors. I WILL NEVER RETURN TO THIS DOCTOR. I am new to CA and went to her for my initial doctor visit, to become established in the area. She saw to my needs for approximately 25 minutes, and then stood and said she had no more time and had to leave. I said, "please wait, I need a referral for an MRI" - I am having a serious health problem and it was recommended to me that I need an MRI by a specialist. I had the name of the place I made an appt. with, and just needed the paper. She dug in her heels, adamantly refused to help me any further, would not give me the referral, and said that "that was not why I was there," and that I had "not prioritized my visit and my needs correctly" and that I should have told her sooner. ?! There was NO sign/information/directions about HOW AND WHY TO DO THIS, AND THAT THERE IS A 30 MINUTE TIME LIMIT. How would anyone know this? She is obviously crazy and a total witch. Who does that?! RIDICULOUS.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2010

She talks so much in the office visits (mostly going on and on unnecessarily) and that is why the wait is so long. I am always there for over an hour. She makes you pay $25 if you want a prescription refill and makes you come in her office to explain lab results instead of doing it over the phone. She needs the business so she is constantly requesting office visits. I would not recommend spending the time waiting for this doctor.

flag | Submitted January 4, 2010

I think what people are saying on here negatively are correct. She does not have the best manner....and the receptionist was horribly rude. I did like the nurse as well. I have pain in all my joints, and she just told me to excercise more, which at the time I was excercising all the time. When I told her that, she just said, it will get better. I still have pain, even more so and I can never find a doc who doesn't try to say I need more excercise, I am overweight and have been my entire life, but I can tell something is wrong with my body. She made me feel like a hypochondriac. I haven't been back.

flag | Submitted August 4, 2009

I've been going to Dr. McCarthy for years. A few years ago I had an ailment that required a few office visits to diagnose. It wasn't lack of knowledge on her part, it was simply needing to rule out other things before a true diagnosis could be rendered. I love Dr. McCarthy. She has always taken her time with me and answered all my questions and never made me feel rushed or that my question was a stupid question. Her office staff has always been friendly and helpful. Her office is nowhere near where I live or work, so I drive out of my way to see her.

flag | Submitted March 5, 2009

Good Doc, and a very good communicator. With all my minor illnesses, she diagnoses them right on. Stuff like an ulcer, shingles, various aches and pains. Watches my blood work carefully, and makes good suggestions. She really goes at it in a mild, common sense manner. My only complaint is sometimes the wait is really long, & I'd love a call to my job saying can you hold off for about an hour? That would be really great!

flag | Submitted March 3, 2009

Dr. Mary C. McCarthy's Credentials

• University Of California, Irvine, California College Of Medicine (Grad. 1977)