Ratings for Dr. Rob Gauvreau

Dr. Gauvreau and his physiotherapy staff provided excellent service and the highest quality of care in treating multiple MSK problems that have resulted from injuries in the pursuit of an active lifestyle. I highly recommend him and Optimize Physiotherapy and Sport Medicine to anyone that is living an active lifestyle and wants the best in care.

flag | Submitted May 13, 2018

I was referred to Dr. Gauvreau in January and had an initial assessment re: a lump on my upper thigh/hip area; his suggested treatment was a cortisone shot which was given mid-February. I had to make my own arrangements to see him again (no immediate follow-up scheduled although we had discussed possible further treatment). Follow-up appointment was a disappointment as Dr Gauvreau was firstly too busy with a student doctor to properly prepare for my appointment with him --- I had to tell him about my various ultrasounds which he did look at then --- and secondly, dismissive of anything further he could do. I was prepared to discuss the other procedure which he had told me about at my assessment, or the excision of this non-malignant lump. For some unexplained reason the further procedure was dismissed by him and only at my insistence did I get a referral to another doctor. The 3 visits to Dr Gauvreau were not a complete waste of time as I did see the 2 ultrasounds and learned what the lump on my thigh is composed of, but my expectations from the initial assessment were not realized by this doctor. I am aware that Dr. Gauvreau has a busy schedule of patients and that he spends a great deal of time teaching: a difficult thing to juggle if each patient is to be given due consideration!

flag | Submitted March 30, 2018

Been with this Doc for over 25 years. Keeps up with the latest, particularly in his field. No pressure --- always listens to what you say and provides good diagnoses and suggestions. If he needs other opinions he will provide a referral.

flag | Submitted February 27, 2018

Felt more like a high pressure Time Share pitch to his physio clinic than an appointment with a specialist... at no time in the 8 minutes I was with him did he even ask how I felt pain wise...only that his physio could fix me and no others could. I would seek elsewhere if I were you

flag | Submitted September 14, 2017

Service, feedback , bedside manner and outcomes were extremely disappointing. The Dr. is locked into a costly (lucrative?) procedure that has questionable success rates.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

I wish there were more stars to rate this Doctor! What an awesome experience! Dr. Gauvreau, his nurse/wife Liz, and front desk staff are all extremely kind and personable. It was my first time ever receiving a hip cortisone injection. The doctor and nurse made me feel at ease and explained every part of the procedure. The freezing and actual ultrasound guided needle injection lasted 10-15 mins and was quick and painless. I didn't even have to undress. I did feel a slight pressure near the bone during the freezing but all in all, it went extremely well. Afterwards, he went as far as requesting my actual x-ray from the lab and then spent another 5-10 minutes discussing the damage that has been done by the Osteoarthritis and also what possible courses of action will be required in the future. I highly recommend Dr. Gauvreau and I'm looking forward to my next treatment :-)

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Wow, what an awful experience for cortisone and hyaluronic injection. The Dr did not explain the procedure and did not adequately go over post procedure protocols. I spent $500 on a procedure, I expect greater patient engagement.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

Kept me waiting forever. Did not listen to my symptoms and would not let me talk. Seemed like he had already made up his mind before he heard my story. After finally hearing my symptoms told me I was freaking him out and he could not help me.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2017

I feel obligated to comment on the previous reviews that have implied that Dr. Gauvreau receives a financial gain in referring patients to the physiotherapy clinic on site. This is totally incorrect information! I too was referred to see a physiotherapist at Optimize Physiotherapy & Sport Medicine after exhausting my extended health plan coverage for " ineffective" physiotherapy. I should have been more aware when the multi- chain physiotherapy clinic that I attended asked me how much coverage that I had with my extended health plan, and seem to quickly calculate the # of visits that I would require for treatment. I had been plagued with various injuries throughout my athletic years and was no better after 3 months of "big chain" physiotherapy, although my physiotherapist seemed keen to put every sort of machine ever invented on me while I sat or lay down on a treatment table and was told not to move, until my physiotherapist rushed back from treating 3 other patients with the same type of "gizmotherapy". I recommend Dr. Gauvreau for being very thorough in his history taking and physical exam which included movement screening tests. Like previous reviews have suggested, he then was very passionate in referring me to a physiotherapist at his clinic, to treat my broken down body. My "take" of his recommendation was " been there , done that" and what financial gain is in it for him. What a terrible assumption! Dr. Gauvreau explained that he had my best interest in mind and that his Sport Medicine practice operated as an independent entity from the Physiotherapy Clinic at Optimize, and that the CPSO ( the doctors watchdog) is very strict regarding conflict of interest relationships between doctors and physiotherapists. I then took his advice and set up a visit with a physiotherapist at Optimize and could not believe the difference in their treatment approach. My physiotherapist explained that my treatment goals are to move without pain and that this would require a "movement" based treatment approach. He explained that pain is the "engine light" and is telling the body that something is wrong with the "engine". Conventional physiotherapy is too focused on putting out the engine light ( chasing the pain approach) without effectively treating the root cause of the pain. At Optimize Physiotherapy there was a paradigm shift in my physiotherapy treatment , and this unique "root cause" treatment approach has me feeling better than I have in years. Within a few treatment sessions my physiotherapist set me up with a movement based home exercise program and I now am treating my sore joints, tight muscles and soft tissues with an extremely effective home exercise and mobility routine that has " my engine" tuned up and pain free. I highly recommend Dr. Gauvreau and the physiotherapy team for enriching my life.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2017

As a Family Medicine resident at the Univ. of Ottawa, I was fortunate to spend a month doing a Sport Medicine elective with Dr. Gauvreau . He continues to be highly recommended by our program director for the following reasons. Dr. Gauvreau is an excellent clinical teacher and involves the residents in the care of his patients to enhance their learning of muscle and skeletal medicine, as well as teaching procedural skills such as ultrasound guided joint injections. He is compassionate, caring and respectful of his patients despite his busy schedule and the fact that he volunteers his time towards teaching . A fellow resident ( who happens to be male) recently completed a rotation with Dr. Gauvreau , and at the same time that Dr. Gauvreau was training another Sport Medicine doctor ( also male) to do advanced US guided injection techniques. It is somewhat surprising in this day and time that a patient would be gender biased towards the care giver and imply such negative connation towards the male "learners" and towards Dr. Gauvreau.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017