Ratings for Dr. Rob Gauvreau

Service, feedback , bedside manner and outcomes were extremely disappointing. The Dr. is locked into a costly (lucrative?) procedure that has questionable success rates.

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

I wish there were more stars to rate this Doctor! What an awesome experience! Dr. Gauvreau, his nurse/wife Liz, and front desk staff are all extremely kind and personable. It was my first time ever receiving a hip cortisone injection. The doctor and nurse made me feel at ease and explained every part of the procedure. The freezing and actual ultrasound guided needle injection lasted 10-15 mins and was quick and painless. I didn't even have to undress. I did feel a slight pressure near the bone during the freezing but all in all, it went extremely well. Afterwards, he went as far as requesting my actual x-ray from the lab and then spent another 5-10 minutes discussing the damage that has been done by the Osteoarthritis and also what possible courses of action will be required in the future. I highly recommend Dr. Gauvreau and I'm looking forward to my next treatment :-)

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Wow, what an awful experience for cortisone and hyaluronic injection. The Dr did not explain the procedure and did not adequately go over post procedure protocols. I spent $500 on a procedure, I expect greater patient engagement.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2017

Kept me waiting forever. Did not listen to my symptoms and would not let me talk. Seemed like he had already made up his mind before he heard my story. After finally hearing my symptoms told me I was freaking him out and he could not help me.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2017

I feel obligated to comment on the previous reviews that have implied that Dr. Gauvreau receives a financial gain in referring patients to the physiotherapy clinic on site. This is totally incorrect information! I too was referred to see a physiotherapist at Optimize Physiotherapy & Sport Medicine after exhausting my extended health plan coverage for " ineffective" physiotherapy. I should have been more aware when the multi- chain physiotherapy clinic that I attended asked me how much coverage that I had with my extended health plan, and seem to quickly calculate the # of visits that I would require for treatment. I had been plagued with various injuries throughout my athletic years and was no better after 3 months of "big chain" physiotherapy, although my physiotherapist seemed keen to put every sort of machine ever invented on me while I sat or lay down on a treatment table and was told not to move, until my physiotherapist rushed back from treating 3 other patients with the same type of "gizmotherapy". I recommend Dr. Gauvreau for being very thorough in his history taking and physical exam which included movement screening tests. Like previous reviews have suggested, he then was very passionate in referring me to a physiotherapist at his clinic, to treat my broken down body. My "take" of his recommendation was " been there , done that" and what financial gain is in it for him. What a terrible assumption! Dr. Gauvreau explained that he had my best interest in mind and that his Sport Medicine practice operated as an independent entity from the Physiotherapy Clinic at Optimize, and that the CPSO ( the doctors watchdog) is very strict regarding conflict of interest relationships between doctors and physiotherapists. I then took his advice and set up a visit with a physiotherapist at Optimize and could not believe the difference in their treatment approach. My physiotherapist explained that my treatment goals are to move without pain and that this would require a "movement" based treatment approach. He explained that pain is the "engine light" and is telling the body that something is wrong with the "engine". Conventional physiotherapy is too focused on putting out the engine light ( chasing the pain approach) without effectively treating the root cause of the pain. At Optimize Physiotherapy there was a paradigm shift in my physiotherapy treatment , and this unique "root cause" treatment approach has me feeling better than I have in years. Within a few treatment sessions my physiotherapist set me up with a movement based home exercise program and I now am treating my sore joints, tight muscles and soft tissues with an extremely effective home exercise and mobility routine that has " my engine" tuned up and pain free. I highly recommend Dr. Gauvreau and the physiotherapy team for enriching my life.

flag | Submitted March 17, 2017

As a Family Medicine resident at the Univ. of Ottawa, I was fortunate to spend a month doing a Sport Medicine elective with Dr. Gauvreau . He continues to be highly recommended by our program director for the following reasons. Dr. Gauvreau is an excellent clinical teacher and involves the residents in the care of his patients to enhance their learning of muscle and skeletal medicine, as well as teaching procedural skills such as ultrasound guided joint injections. He is compassionate, caring and respectful of his patients despite his busy schedule and the fact that he volunteers his time towards teaching . A fellow resident ( who happens to be male) recently completed a rotation with Dr. Gauvreau , and at the same time that Dr. Gauvreau was training another Sport Medicine doctor ( also male) to do advanced US guided injection techniques. It is somewhat surprising in this day and time that a patient would be gender biased towards the care giver and imply such negative connation towards the male "learners" and towards Dr. Gauvreau.

flag | Submitted March 16, 2017

His staff is great and he is very nice however, he only cares about getting patient into his physio clinic, of which he is part owner. He didn't discuss my specific problems, and spent the whole appointment talking about general physio and concussion symposiums. He even went as far to say I didn't have arthritis which was clearly written on the MRI. I left angry with many unanswered question and ni further ahead than I was. Was of time never go.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2017

Intimidating experience in front of three male doctors; his team was fine but he has no personality. While they are efficient and he obviously knows what he is doing he comes across as an unsympathetic sports jock

flag | Submitted February 16, 2017

He and his team were very efficient in providing me with ultrasound cortisone shots, and were able to do so on short notice as I was heading off to Europe. While it's not entirely covered by OHIP, the charge for the medication was minimal. I found him patient, answering questions about side-effects and other options, and would recommend him.

flag | Submitted December 14, 2016

Dr. Gauvreau seems very knowledgeable but as others have mentioned he doesn't take the time to listen to his patients. He did a quick exam, explained what he found to his intern and then they both stood up and headed for the door. I had booked this appointment as a follow-up to a previous appointment so that I could get some questions answered. However I left with none answered and even more frustrated than when I arrived. I would not recommend Dr. Gauvreau to other patients.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2016