Ratings for Dr. James Powell

Dr. Powell performed my hip replacement in 2010. That leg was shorter than the other at the time and he tried to make both legs the same length with the replacement. I ended up with that leg 18 mm longer! I hobbled around for a few years in increasing pain until a chiropractor did a precise x-ray measurement and made this discovery. He said I had to get a lift made for my shoe on the short leg or I would be in pain. This issue has cost me untold agony and thousands of dollars in shoe lifts - which let me assure you is not an exact science. I cannot wear any sort of pretty shoe with a dress or skirt so I am limited to sneakers and birkenstocks since those are the only shoes that a proper lift can be made for. My spine is twisted from the leg length discrepancy. Now the other hip has to be replaced because that's the leg with the shoe lifts - the lift changes the way the shoe walks which I think is part of the reason that hip is now failing. Oh but the replaced hip works fine. I guess he thought that was good enough. God help me to find a better surgeon that cares about someone's well-being this time around!

flag | Submitted September 5, 2017

Dr Powell was remarkable in the repair of my major ankle - fibula break and reconstruction. Thank you so much.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2017

Having Dr. Powell as my surgeon following my motor vehicle accident was simply a blessing. My case was exceptionally complex with a shattered pelvis that required 3 operations to piece it back together again. And once it had healed, a total hip replacement since the cartilage was destroyed in the accident. I am now walking and operating pretty much as if nothing had ever happened...... Thank You Thank You Thank You Dr. Powell and staff!!!!!

flag | Submitted August 10, 2017

This is my third hip surgery done by Dr. Powell and all 3 are successful. So pleased with his team before, during and after. He is very busy, which for appointments is tough when waiting long periods. His work and professionalism is impeccable.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2017

Dr. Powell just completed my second hip replacement; this time with the direct anterior approach. I am just as delighted this time as the first time, 13 years ago. Highly Highly recommend Dr. Jim Powell. His staff is also exemplary.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2017

Not many physicians that care like Dr.Powell. Myself, my family and a number of good friends have been seen by Dr. Powell. We have had nothing but outstanding results. First class person and very professional. Much respect from us!

flag | Submitted May 7, 2017

Dr. Powell does not seem to care about his patients. I had a major hip surgery and still have aches and pains 2 years later. I was told I don't need physio ( after having a broken hip??) but I did it anyways which seemed to help quite a bit. One of two times he saw me in the hospital immediately following the surgery, my pain control had failed (epidural fell out). He stood there watching me writhe in pain. At a later follow up appointment he told me he wouldn't recommend that I have an additional procedure to fix a congenital leg problem because I "wouldn't be able to handle the pain". I don't think anyone can handle pain after a major surgery when their pain meds stop working.... I am now seeing a different orthopedic surgeon who is fixing my leg problem, the pain has been very manageable. I was talking with one of her nurses who had worked with Dr. Powell a few years ago, even she didn't have anything good to say.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

Dr Powell pinned my femur in November 2015 then replaced my hip in April 2016. He is an extremely competent surgeon, leading a team in the OR and usually accompanied by a surgical resident. I had good results from my surgeries except the pin in my femur moved and damaged my hip joint, necessitating the hip replacement. This was in no way Dr Powell's fault. I am 71 years old and have osteoporosis, both of which may have contributed to the lack of stability of the pin. Dr Powell was very apologetic about the failure of the pin and, although I was reluctant to proceed with the hip replacement, he was able to schedule me fairly quickly once I had decided it was necessary. He was efficient in following up on both surgeries, unfailingly pleasant and willing to answer questions and discuss options. I would highly recommend Dr Powell to anyone needing any of the surgeries he performs.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

I was waiting for surgery on my foot for a Lisfranc injury, I was advised by the staff at the foothills hospital that if I could avoid Dr. Powell being my surgeon, then to do so. So, instead of having Dr. Powell perform my surgery, I waited nearly a week to have a different ortho surgeon - It looks like this was the right choice. It is quite frightening knowing there are surgeons allowed to practice still after such a bad track record. I am thankful the staff at the Foothills advised me against Dr. Powell's care.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Total hip replacement in April and I am riding 40 miles per week on a stationary bike. An amazing surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016