Ratings for Dr. James Powell

This is my third hip surgery done by Dr. Powell and all 3 are successful. So pleased with his team before, during and after. He is very busy, which for appointments is tough when waiting long periods. His work and professionalism is impeccable.

flag | Submitted June 19, 2017

Dr. Powell just completed my second hip replacement; this time with the direct anterior approach. I am just as delighted this time as the first time, 13 years ago. Highly Highly recommend Dr. Jim Powell. His staff is also exemplary.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2017

Not many physicians that care like Dr.Powell. Myself, my family and a number of good friends have been seen by Dr. Powell. We have had nothing but outstanding results. First class person and very professional. Much respect from us!

flag | Submitted May 7, 2017

This person ( I call him person because doctors are supposed to listen and be professional but he was none.) has no interest in anything but his own needs and perspective. Arrogant to any valid interruption and if u have any questions? Forget about them, he has no time to answer. I waited a full year for this clown and he did not show the respect to listen for 5 minutes. I am a lawyer, ex law enforcement and ex military and had dealt with this kind of individuals that seem to hate their profession but still stays for the" mula". People here that says he is caring? He was not. Get a Doctor that cares. PS If the staff mentioned here "colleen" was the senior skinny lady lead hand? She was not caring either. She was training some staff and at one question she just rolled her eyes. For a second I thought I was dealing with a brat teenager. So no she is not good either. The female receptionist was the only with a fainted smile that is why i get 2 stars on staff. Hope this helps!!! Bye Bye

flag | Submitted May 3, 2017

Dr. Powell does not seem to care about his patients. I had a major hip surgery and still have aches and pains 2 years later. I was told I don't need physio ( after having a broken hip??) but I did it anyways which seemed to help quite a bit. One of two times he saw me in the hospital immediately following the surgery, my pain control had failed (epidural fell out). He stood there watching me writhe in pain. At a later follow up appointment he told me he wouldn't recommend that I have an additional procedure to fix a congenital leg problem because I "wouldn't be able to handle the pain". I don't think anyone can handle pain after a major surgery when their pain meds stop working.... I am now seeing a different orthopedic surgeon who is fixing my leg problem, the pain has been very manageable. I was talking with one of her nurses who had worked with Dr. Powell a few years ago, even she didn't have anything good to say.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

Dr Powell pinned my femur in November 2015 then replaced my hip in April 2016. He is an extremely competent surgeon, leading a team in the OR and usually accompanied by a surgical resident. I had good results from my surgeries except the pin in my femur moved and damaged my hip joint, necessitating the hip replacement. This was in no way Dr Powell's fault. I am 71 years old and have osteoporosis, both of which may have contributed to the lack of stability of the pin. Dr Powell was very apologetic about the failure of the pin and, although I was reluctant to proceed with the hip replacement, he was able to schedule me fairly quickly once I had decided it was necessary. He was efficient in following up on both surgeries, unfailingly pleasant and willing to answer questions and discuss options. I would highly recommend Dr Powell to anyone needing any of the surgeries he performs.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

I was waiting for surgery on my foot for a Lisfranc injury, I was advised by the staff at the foothills hospital that if I could avoid Dr. Powell being my surgeon, then to do so. So, instead of having Dr. Powell perform my surgery, I waited nearly a week to have a different ortho surgeon - It looks like this was the right choice. It is quite frightening knowing there are surgeons allowed to practice still after such a bad track record. I am thankful the staff at the Foothills advised me against Dr. Powell's care.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Total hip replacement in April and I am riding 40 miles per week on a stationary bike. An amazing surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016

As I sit here, 4 years after my knee replacement with an ice bag on my knee, I wonder how such a doctor can still practice. I have had constant problems and pain since my surgery, have seen 3 other surgeons since, and found out, incredulously, that Dr. Powell put in the WRONG SIZE - it's too large for me! How does that happen?? A second surgery won't help me so here I sit. Since I am only 60 now, I have been advised, by a different, more trusted, and now my new and lovely Doctor, to wait. DO NOT trust Dr. Powell with your knee replacement. I hear he knows how to do hips but he certainly does not know knees. I agree with everyone's assessment with Colleen. She was fantastic and the only positive part of my whole experience. I'm going to get some more ice now. :(. Thanks a lot Dr. Powell - 4 years later and my knee is no better. Shame on you.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2016

Dr Powell operated on my left knee about 6 years ago and it is worse than before. My leg is not straight and hurts continually. A lot of days I can barely walk. I had no physio afterwords, six weeks after my surgery my knee gave out and I fell down a cement stair. I was told not to worry about it. Never was called for a follow up. Went to another surgeon and they say the knee is is in such terrible shape there is nothing they can do.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2016