Ratings for Dr. James Powell

Dr. Powell does not seem to care about his patients. I had a major hip surgery and still have aches and pains 2 years later. I was told I don't need physio ( after having a broken hip??) but I did it anyways which seemed to help quite a bit. One of two times he saw me in the hospital immediately following the surgery, my pain control had failed (epidural fell out). He stood there watching me writhe in pain. At a later follow up appointment he told me he wouldn't recommend that I have an additional procedure to fix a congenital leg problem because I "wouldn't be able to handle the pain". I don't think anyone can handle pain after a major surgery when their pain meds stop working.... I am now seeing a different orthopedic surgeon who is fixing my leg problem, the pain has been very manageable. I was talking with one of her nurses who had worked with Dr. Powell a few years ago, even she didn't have anything good to say.

flag | Submitted February 21, 2017

Dr Powell pinned my femur in November 2015 then replaced my hip in April 2016. He is an extremely competent surgeon, leading a team in the OR and usually accompanied by a surgical resident. I had good results from my surgeries except the pin in my femur moved and damaged my hip joint, necessitating the hip replacement. This was in no way Dr Powell's fault. I am 71 years old and have osteoporosis, both of which may have contributed to the lack of stability of the pin. Dr Powell was very apologetic about the failure of the pin and, although I was reluctant to proceed with the hip replacement, he was able to schedule me fairly quickly once I had decided it was necessary. He was efficient in following up on both surgeries, unfailingly pleasant and willing to answer questions and discuss options. I would highly recommend Dr Powell to anyone needing any of the surgeries he performs.

flag | Submitted February 8, 2017

I was waiting for surgery on my foot for a Lisfranc injury, I was advised by the staff at the foothills hospital that if I could avoid Dr. Powell being my surgeon, then to do so. So, instead of having Dr. Powell perform my surgery, I waited nearly a week to have a different ortho surgeon - It looks like this was the right choice. It is quite frightening knowing there are surgeons allowed to practice still after such a bad track record. I am thankful the staff at the Foothills advised me against Dr. Powell's care.

flag | Submitted January 11, 2017

Total hip replacement in April and I am riding 40 miles per week on a stationary bike. An amazing surgeon.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2016

As I sit here, 4 years after my knee replacement with an ice bag on my knee, I wonder how such a doctor can still practice. I have had constant problems and pain since my surgery, have seen 3 other surgeons since, and found out, incredulously, that Dr. Powell put in the WRONG SIZE - it's too large for me! How does that happen?? A second surgery won't help me so here I sit. Since I am only 60 now, I have been advised, by a different, more trusted, and now my new and lovely Doctor, to wait. DO NOT trust Dr. Powell with your knee replacement. I hear he knows how to do hips but he certainly does not know knees. I agree with everyone's assessment with Colleen. She was fantastic and the only positive part of my whole experience. I'm going to get some more ice now. :(. Thanks a lot Dr. Powell - 4 years later and my knee is no better. Shame on you.

flag | Submitted September 24, 2016

Dr Powell operated on my left knee about 6 years ago and it is worse than before. My leg is not straight and hurts continually. A lot of days I can barely walk. I had no physio afterwords, six weeks after my surgery my knee gave out and I fell down a cement stair. I was told not to worry about it. Never was called for a follow up. Went to another surgeon and they say the knee is is in such terrible shape there is nothing they can do.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2016

I have had two hip resurfacing operations with Dr Powell and his team in the past 11 years. The results have been outstanding and I cannot recommend Dr Powell and his team any higher! The only less than stellar rating was for punctuality and that is only because in many instances Dr Powell operates in the AM and has his cast clinics and or consultations in the afternoons and as a result he may be late ( somewhat) In each instance he apologised immediately and took the time to answer any questions I had fully. I cannot believe that anyone would give him a less than stellar rating... Colleen (his case manager) was outstanding in handling my insurance issues and answering any per surgical inquiries...Tanya (his scheduling manager) was excellent in answering questions and preparing me for what I needed to know on day of procedures...Dr Powell even came to check on me on a Saturday , which I found surprising.I found he and his team highly knowledgeable, caring , and a pleasure to deal with...outstanding experience!!!!

flag | Submitted June 16, 2016

Dr Powell replaced my left hip. He gave me my life back. I suffered for 5 years before finally finding a surgeon to help me. Now I'm biking with my grandkids. Dr Powell is number one in my books.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2016

So the hip works great! That's the good news. The bad news is, I now have a 1.8 cm leg length discrepancy which has caused me no end of difficulty as well as thousands spent on special shoes and lifts. I have regular disputes with shoemakers as part of my life now. Thanks, Dr. Powell.

flag | Submitted April 5, 2016

He must be getting old, had hip surgery performed and its given me nothing but problems. Saw another ortho. in the USA, the part was faulty but he did not noticed, did not take responibility. Apparently, I hear, NOT his first time. PR very good, I was referred.

flag | Submitted February 14, 2016