Ratings for Dr. Peter Girschek

One of the kindest and best Dr. about. He and his staff go out of their way to be helpful and make sure you know you are important.

flag | Submitted June 6, 2017

I was a patient of Dr Girschek from when I was a little kid for about 25 years. He and the receptionist always made me feel really comfortable and were really kind. I have never experienced the rude behaviour that others have mentioned here. I do remember waiting sometimes but I usually expected this as I needed to get eyedrops when I first arrived and then had to wait for them to kick in before seeing the doctor.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2017

Dr Peter Girschek is the absolute best. He treated me after a serious head injury at st Michael's and he has remained my eye specialist even though I foolishly let my yearly appointments lapse. When I returned he immediately identified a concern and performed laser surgery that day. Such unbelievable care we have with a Dr at the top of the field. Thanks Dr Girschek, my eye health is in great hands!

flag | Submitted May 8, 2017

I saw him for at least 6 years and was told I had to schedule appointments every 6 months. He clearly stated at every visit that I had borderline glaucoma and small cataracts and to be sure to come every 6 months. If I ever needed to reschedule it was impossible to get his (Dundas west Office) receptionist to answer the phone - and there was no voicemail. For this reason I looked for a new eye doc. What I didn't expect was to hear from my new ophthalmologist (who is also very experienced), that I did not have borderline glaucoma and I did not have any sign of cataracts. I was very surprised when when she told me I didn't need to see her again for 2 years. I told her what my earlier eye doc had said and she insisted I had no signs of either issue - after a thorough exam. Only one explanation - Girschek is motivated by billing potential - an if it isn't there, then he "creates" it. I wasted years going to see him twice a year.....

flag | Submitted April 23, 2017

I recently had my first attack of glaucoma. I saw Dr. Peter Girschek at the eye clinic at SMH. My three visits to the clinic were absolutely excellent. The receptionists were very polite, cheerful, positive and most helpful. The resident, who saw me first, was also very polite and helpful. Dr. Girschek was an absolute gem! He was extremely knowledgeable and he spent lots of time to explain the cause of my problem and the reasons for treatment. He was very kind and showed great compassion and empathy. He exudes confidence and positivity. He is a tribute to his profession! I am looking forward to my next visit in 4-months.

flag | Submitted January 14, 2017

I wonder if the receptionist that I met with is the same that people are talking about here! I start dealing with her since Nov, 2015 arranging appointment to see Dr. Girschek and making appointment for eye surgery, etc. She is kind and tender, with care as well. Of course, she is not that type of person that she will give you a big hug when see you but she has smile on her face every time I see her. She is polite and helpful, trying to rearranging my appointment with Dr. Girschek to meet with my schedule. She talks a bit fast but clearly deliver what need to be delivered. I expressed my worry about the surgery, she give me few words of comfort which really a big help to settle my anxiety. I went in to the surgery room with peace of mind just because I remember her comfort words. I see her treating other patients with courtesy and kindness as well.

flag | Submitted May 24, 2016

I wonder if his receptionist has any credentials to work in a medical office because her behaviour shows otherwise. No people skills Dr. Girschek is an angel and I'v been his patient for 30 years and I always wondered how he can keep up with his wife/secretary. On the other hand I understand because he doesn't have to organize many things. She does it for him but her personality and character and the way she treats people, no matter who they are, is absolutely unacceptable, especially in this field. I asked Dr. G years ago how he could keep up with that monster and he said believe me that with so many patients asking all sorts of conflicting things you need someone like that. I couldn't believe that he said that because I totally disagree. Chin up Dr. Girschek, see the reality. Those people out there are older, ill, and have quite a few problems with their eyes, not mentioning other diseases and personal lives so when they go to ophthalmologist with their important organs like eyes, they would rather see your smile, warm words, and your behaviour because seeing that monster so many years acting so rude towards poor people, I don't see any positive results. Obviously your tactics Dr, don't work. I've seen people crying, devastated, totally disturbed, even I was once myself many times. I can never say that rudeness of your secretary is doing it better for anybody, even for you because some people start to hate you for her behaviour. Who is she to treat poor, ill, older people like that. Aaaah . . . she is your wife. I feel very sorry for you. From the bottom of my heart as much as you have helped me over the years I would like to thank you very much for your tenderness, gentleness and knowledge and beautiful people skills and would like to tell you that she is not needed to deal with those 'bad' people. That is something for you to think about seriously.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2016

the name of the secretary is it Ylona Oechsler Girschek we try to find since 2006 prohockey9514@gmail.com

flag | Submitted January 6, 2016

Four of my family members have been seeing Dr. Girschek for decades. I had the pleasure of meeting him when I accompanied a family member on a recent doctor appointment. He demonstrated that he was very knowledgeable in his practice, and was excessively kind and polite. .....Unfortunately in order to get to him, I also had to meet his wife/receptionist along the way. the greeting that my family member and i got upon entering his office was; awkward silence as we looked at each others faces, then about 10 seconds into that she simply stated "health card" ....and that was it. So we turned around and sat down in the crowded waiting room. We had arrived 5 minutes before an appointment that was scheduled over 7 months prior. So after about 10 minutes of sitting there, I decided to go up to the desk and ask how long it would take to be seen. As she came into my line of sight i noticed that she was nose deep in her phone and from the rapid movements of her fingers across the screen, I can only deduce that she was playing a video game. It took about 45-60 seconds before she noticed that I was standing 2 feet from her face. When she did realize I was there, her response was sarcastically, "uh huh". I proceeded to ask her how long of a wait we can expect as we are now 10-15 mins past my family members appointment time. Apparently that unleashed a monster inside of her because she very rudely and sarcastically went on a rant about how it is not up to her how long the patients wait and all of the patients in the waiting room are going to be seen first. My only response was "first off, why do you feel that you have the right to yell at me, and secondly, why do you schedule appointments if the patients have to come in and wait 3-4 hours past the appointment time (side note, ...we actually did wait 3-4 hours). She then began her ranting again. In redemption for all on this page who agree and who have had any experience with this woman, I gave her a taste of her own medicine that day. I interrupted her ranting with a simple "you know what? you are SO RUDE! I DON'T EVEN WANT TO TALK TO YOU ANYMORE! Then turned around and sat down. everyone in the room heard the incident and all patients in the waiting room had a satisfied smirk on their faces like I had just done something that they have all wanted to do for a long time. I should also add that I currently work in healthcare. As a health care professional, .....(not a receptionist) I find it absolutely deplorable that this person has employment dealing with human beings in any sort of capacity. If this is how she conducts herself in a quiet, comfortable, stress-free eye doctors office, I would hate to see how she behaves in real emergencies where stress is high and quick decisions make the difference between life and death. I would shrivel up and expire from shame if I had EVER conducted myself in this type of rude, entitled, sarcastic and barbaric manner while speaking with my patients or their family members. It literally sickens me. I would also like to know if this (receptionist) has any sort of medical training or license to practice and perform controlled medical acts on patients as I have witnessed her perform on my family member once we were finally taken in to be seen. I'm willing to bet NOT. I think it is safe to say that although my family members have a long history of attending this office, I have found them someone else and they are no longer with this doctor. I must stress that Dr. Girschek himself seemed very professional, caring, polite and knowledgeable. This is in no way written to diminish his skills and knowledge. If he fired his battle axe receptionist I would consider taking my family members back to him.

flag | Submitted April 13, 2015

the worst receptionist on the world! (his wife)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flag | Submitted December 1, 2014