Ratings for Dr. Gerald MacKean

I have visited Dr. Gerry MacKean at about three times. I found him to be very professional, on time, and to the point. Did a great job on my legs and was not annoying at all with small talk or stupid questions. I would certainly recommend him. No complaints. As a matter of fact going to see him again this week.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2016

I would not send a dog to him , very rude , does not even look things up before he gives you the wrong diagnosis, I noticed patients in and out of his office ...he is a complete rude idiot ....do yourself a favour and don't go see him !!! I can't wait to see my Dr and ask w by she would send someone to this idiot ....

flag | Submitted July 23, 2015

I am not one to normally complain on these web rating sites. But in all fairness his good outcome does not shine way above his bad mistakes. Does who wrote about bed side matters are failing to describe his complete refusal to answer at time the sample questions. I was warned by a nurse about his ways into the operating room. I even cancelled that day surgery. My leg did not get better so I re-scheduled a surgery appointment and to my demise, I severely regret to have made that decision. I was left also whit infected areas and thankfully to my nursing skills I took care of most of my problems. The bigger one required my family physician to help out. Leads from sutures where kept long and hanging outside the the body. That caused them to bring the infection below the skin deep were the suture was holding. To my surprise after a week of draining the puss the suture that was infected came out along the with the puss. To a more horrifying sight this suture type to my knowledge are not used under the skin because they do not dissolved and will not ever dissolve. How many more are they inside? My problem took over 24 years to be looked at and yet I am in a much worse situation that I was before the operation. I am left with severe pain to the knee area swollen foot which gets worse when standing. The back of my upper legs is not any better either. I can't hardly walk short distances supported. So if you ask me, it is not about the bedside matters that counts but the expertise in the operating room must be at an ultimate high. It is my understanding with my results that he did not completely understood my situation by refusing to have a proper communication between the two of us and he proceeded with his day to day repeat ritual thinking that it was all I needed. Communication is the key with all patients, without it you get only a one side decision that will affect you for the rest of your life. I am glad that his method has help some of his patients and many of them did not post the comments here, but his failure I sincerely believe to be far greater. When is it time to retire from any job.... when there are no more exiting thing to pursue when your days are become just another day at the office just to get paid. Certain jobs should not settle for lesser qualified personal just because they are either near their retirements or what else their in too. We have the best surgeon right here in CANADA so please why don't you just given them what they are worth, and let them do better surgery with newer skills and technologies.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2015

Surgery went great. This silly site had me worried for nothing. He's a surgeon, not a talk show host.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

I developed varicose veins at 20 and suffer from pain and aching in my legs as well as pulsating in the vein itself. Anxious and self conscious about developing these veins so early in my adult life I eagerly awaited seeing a specialist about my options (how to decrease pain, the potential causes, treatments etc). My main objectives: ease anxiety, decrease pain and rule out potential contributors. My appointment was terrible: Dr. MacKean immediately told me to take my pants off (I was wearing thong underwear and was given nothing to cover up). He then poked and prodded and I was told he could inject my vein. I was given no resolutions and no insight into any other form of treatment. I raised my concerns and he ignorantly dismissed them – to the point of bringing me to tears. Feeling helpless, I booked an appointment. One week before the scheduled appointment I cancelled. My gut told me not to go through his treatment and eventually I stumbled upon these comments. Thank god.

Submitted October 17, 2013

Very curt and dismissive during interview at admission. He was implanting a pacemaker and used leads that were too thick for the size of my veins. He was pushing and pulling the leads during the entire procedure trying to get them in rather than switch to smaller leads. Two years later I required a replacement of the leads because they deteriorated and began leaking charge. I certainly did not want him doing the replacement.

flag | Submitted November 6, 2012

Although he was very punctual in seeing me and the appointment and surgery wait time was quick, I would not recommend him to anyone. As mentioned in other comments, his attitude towards his patient is very distant and curt and he left the appointment without giving me any detail as to the surgery and the appointment time. I had to chase him out of the exam room. As for the surgery itself, the freezing didn't take in all the incision spots and I felt most of the last few incisions and staples. During my follow up appointment I was concerned with how my incisions were healing as they were quite painful and looked infected. His comments were that it looked painful but was fine. He took the staples out and left shortly after. I went to see my family doctor approx. two weeks later and was told my incisions had been infected for weeks. The doctor should have realized that upon our check up, so I would not recommend him.

flag | Submitted April 11, 2012

My brother swears by this Doctor.He did a surgery on him that others said could not be done!My brother is very well because of this man. Please realize the stress that doctors are under;"not to excuse rude speaking or actions" but to allow for them to be a bit "curt"at times.

flag | Submitted February 18, 2012

If you are a victim of Dr Gerald MacKean he will cut pieces out of main veins or arteries in legs, leaving you with a blockage that is life threatening and horrifying. The complications are so horrendous that the weak will decease and the strong will suffer in horror. Do we really have rights when it comes to our health as Canadians. We are allowed to be ****ed by Dr Gerald MacKean our medical professionals that we are supposed to trust in.

flag | Submitted November 22, 2010

My mom had surgery from this doctor and had major severe headaches for 8 days after, he told her to just lay down til they go away.She had a stroke cause by the surgery and died 2 weeks after...good doctor I guess...he was rude and had no compasion for his patients

flag | Submitted September 7, 2010