Ratings for Dr. Rajeesh Mainra

Several years ago I was diagnosed with a chronic lung disease by Dr, Mainra. Although I did seek a second opinion Dr., Mainra's diagnosis was confirmed. Without going to too much detail for the sake of privacy, I can confirm that his approach and that of his staff were very professional and showed competency in all aspects. I am continuing to receive good care and treament from Dr. Mainra.

flag | Submitted May 6, 2016

Mainra works as an Intensive Care staff doctor in Lion's Gate Hospital ICU. My family had to deal with him in the ICU after a family member was critically injured. He was unprofessional beyond belief and encouraged/failed to address rotten and unsafe behavior on the part of the ICU nursing staff (especially one named Char) and social worker (who somehow thought it was appropriate to walk around in scrubs with a stethoscope). He deliberately ignored requests for a family meeting for a period of over 1 week, refused to grant access to next-of-kin with no medical justification, withheld information from the designated family spokesperson despite it being clearly authorized on the chart and having his attention drawn to it. His behavior is best summarized as completely childish - which was unnecessary, hurtful and aggravating in the context of a very sick family member. Medically, he was unprofessional and negligent. He denied any rehabilitation potential in our family member and stated flat out that she would be ventilator dependent for ever despite there being no good evidence to support this. Based on this snapshot assumption he arranged for a transfer to a long term care facility (read - a 'vegetable garden') despite the family's request to work towards an eventual transfer to a rehab centre (GF strong). In the meantime he also refused to honor family requests for specialist consultation (eg: physiatry to assess rehab potential, ophthalmology, neurology and neurosurgery to reassess their patient post brain surgery) despite clinical deterioration and unresolved medical issues. He is an inappropriate physician with a massive ego who compromised my family member's care and refused to involve or respect family member advocates. Thankfully we were able to transfer our family member to another ICU (VGH). The difference in competence and professionalism among all staff (doctors, nurses, support workers) was astonishing. 6 months later my family member is off the ventilator and walking with assistance after being accepted at GF Strong, which Mainra said was out of the question and refused to help us with. No comment on how he is as a respirologist, but he is an egotistical, terrible person and a dangerous ICU doctor who wanted to sentence my family member to a chronic vent facility just because that option involved the least amount of work. His rotten character along with that of other bad apples in LGH ICU have changed the culture and quality of care into something unrecognizable and dangerous with a reputation that other doctors and nurses at VGH and GF Strong have confirmed. Mainra is the epitome of what is the worst ICU experience imaginable. If you care about your loved one, or wish to be an advocate for their health, or just wish to be treated with respect, STAY AWAY from Lion's Gate ICU, and if it's Mainra, DON'T ACCEPT what he tells you as fact. His prime motivation is a) doing the least possible work, while b) stroking his ego. Beware.

flag | Submitted April 15, 2016

I was diagnosed with asthma years ago but no inhalers ever helped me and I was miserable and short of breath for years. He was the first doctor who gave me a thorough look and realized I should be taking symbicort and believed me when I told him I would cough more from albuterol inhalers. He set up a plan with me and now I'm right about to be free of my inhaler. The secretaries are a mess though and keep rescheduling my appointments.

flag | Submitted November 10, 2015

I found him to be extremely helpful and answered all my questions.Also due his vigilant by making sure I had routine scans ,he saved me from what could have been a very terrible situation by insisting I have a lung ct scan as it caught my breast cancer at stage 1,so I defiantly recommend him and although I moved to the interior of BC I still use him for my main specialist. His staff was friendly and being extremely busy they take the time to talk with me if I have questions. Wish we had Dr.s like him here in the Northern Interior.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2015

I'm not sure if reception has changed but extrememly rude for no reason other than they had yet again changed my appointment and this time I needed it moved due to work schedule not impressed. Dr Mainra is very pleasant and has helped me with my asthma but I am definately considering changing after this

flag | Submitted March 18, 2015

I was not happy with Dr. Mainra. Based on tests, the doctor thought I had one of a couple of lung diseases and he gave me the names of them. When I went back home and researched them, I was petrified as they were dreadful diseases! It turns out I had neither but it put me under at least a month of severe stress. After that incident, I lost my trust in him.

Submitted January 7, 2015

Very thorough and professional. More of these specialists are needed obviously in Vancouver but he is top notch if you can get in to see him. Insisted on education and gave me helpful advice.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2014

This guy runs a bucket shop. No room in waiting room. People waiting outside. Really humiliating.

flag | Submitted October 16, 2014

This guy runs a sweat shop with his wife spending here time performing spyrmetry on patients. Waiting room is cramped. He needs some competition.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

Do not believe anything this man tells you. He is both arrogant, and deceitful. It may well be that he has cost me my life, and therefore the life of my son. Although knowledgeable he is also dangerous. He uses that knowledge to get what he wants, and believe me, he cares nothing for your life, nothing. You are a statistic to this sadistic, conniving man. Please, please go to someone else, and keep living...please.

flag | Submitted September 14, 2014