Ratings for Dr. Yvonne Buys

My vision has been impaired by the procedure performed. I was never informed that someone other than Dr. Buys would be performing the procedure. On the day of surgery, Dr. Buys called me in to put drops in my eyes and have me sign consent. She then said, "You'll be called in shortly." Another very young doctor called me in, set me up, and immediately went to work. The room was very, very hot with no air movement. The laser hurt, and I soon felt myself getting faint. I told the doctor I was feeling sick. She didn't reply - just continued with the zaps. I told her I was feeling faint. Same lack of response. I said I might pass out. No response. I couldn't move my head away b/c she had hold of my eye with a device. Finally, I felt myself passing out and said, "Okay, I'm going to pass out! Here I go!" and next I knew I was resting my forehead in the chin. She didn't know how to deal with me. (By the way, Dr. Buys later told my husband and me that feeling faint isn't incoming with the procedure - something to do with the nerve that is being stimulated. Thanks for telling me and for telling the doctor performing the procedure on me!) I asked the doctor to get my husband from the waiting room. He put a cold, wet cloth on my face and neck. Cut to Dr. Buys checking my eyes immediately after the procedure and telling the doctor that she had "left strands" in both eyes and to remove them b/c "we don't want her to have to come back again for more treatment." When the performing doctor put the suction cup back on my left eye, I could see it wasn't on properly. I told her this. She said it was fine. After doing several zaps, she realized it wasn't on properly and she adjusted it. At one point, she said she had "hurried with the procedure b/c I didn't want you to faint." Worse than all this = the procedure has left me with areas of blurred vision in my left eye. It is permanent - like wearing glasses with smudges on the lens that I can never clean. I returned to see if there was any way to fix it. A different doctor did the check up. She put drops in my eyes and THEN informed me my vision would be impaired for the next six hours! Dr. Buys came in and said she and the other doctor were going for lunch and told me to return 45 minutes later for the rest of the assessment! The other doctor (Dr. Green) said, "Well, we took too long to get through the questions!" When we did return, Dr. Buys poorly explained a procedure to put "tattoos" on my (retina) to block the holes causing the blurred vision. She said she and the other doctors perform "hundreds" of the procedures I had had, and that most people don't end up with impaired vision. She, and her assistant, repeated at least 3 times throughout this exam that I had signed a consent form stating I was aware of a chance of this happening. There was NO apology, NO appearance of concern for me. No real attempt to rectify the situation. It was disgusting. I suggest, if you do agree to surgery with Dr. Buys, you at least make her commit to doing the procedure HERSELF rather than underhandedly passing it off to a less-experienced doctor. Perhaps Dr. Buys will care a bit more about the outcome when her own personal reputation is on the line. (For her own sake, she should make an attempt to develop a personality. There is a unnerving automaton quality to her.) Better than this, though. I strongly suggest you ask your doctor for another referral altogether. Don't take chances with your vision!

flag | Submitted June 5, 2016

I have been seeing this Dr. for 10 years due to high pressures in my eyes. I was assured, after a mathematical calculation that my chances of developing glaucoma was less than 10%. Despite the fact that my eye pressures have been consistently over 20, in the rage of 20-24,25 other than once when one of my eyes measured 19, never once did this dr suggest anything to reduce the eye pressures. About 2 months ago my pressures increased further and I was told there was a change in the angle. I was placed on drops, which I couldn't tolerate. I have allergies to medications and whatever is in eye drops reacts negatively with my system. I returned after a month and was told laser treatment was necessary, we had never talked about laser treatment. I was told that the situation was urgent and agreed to the treatment. Of course she did not do the treatment, this was done by a fellow, Dr. Buys appears to hand off as much as possible to fellows. I returned a month later and the pressures are even higher!! Despite knowing and confirming I have negative reactions to medications, I was told I have to simply try to use the drops, I was further told that the drops being prescribed would in fact cause allergic reactions, but my only alternative is surgery and there are risks with surgery. This dr. has never shown an ounce of compassion, certainly with me she is cold and behaves like an automaton. I used the drops for 2 days, on the second day my sight was blurred, I had a headache, my chest was tight, when I stood up from a seared position things went momentarily black and I was nauseous. My eyes felt like burning coals had been placed on top of them. I was told I simply need to get used to the side effects?? My biggest problem is that after 10 years, seeing this dr every 7-8 months I'm now faced with an urgent situation, how does this happen, malpractice certainly seems a possibility. New staff and the new lady is nice, helpful and returns calls. A nice change from the rude assistant that was there for years.

flag | Submitted May 8, 2016

Her new assistant who replaces Vivian does not pick-up the phone nor does she return your calls. She is not pleasant to speak with. Referals are not getting attended to.

flag | Submitted March 29, 2016

Assistant, Viviane, is rude and insensitive. Doctor is robotic. Assessments are good- med student does most the work. Wait times are short. But Dr Buys has no social skills (not necessary to do the job, but sure does help with each visit!). Her matter-of-fact way of interacting witb patients makes each visit less than desirable and more stressful than need be.

flag | Submitted October 21, 2015

Very careful assessment. Sympathetic understanding of situation for older patient.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

Fantastic service very knowledgable very helpful & friendly - fantastic person !!!

flag | Submitted March 25, 2015

In the eight years I have seen Dr. buys, for glaucoma, I have had excellent care. She answers your questions, and is punctual. She doesn't waste time in being friendly. I don't expect that. Her staff are great.

flag | Submitted February 23, 2015

Dr. Buys provided top quality care with clarity and direction. She often arrives early to work and will see patients who do the same, and works efficiently to reduce wait times. She is very professional and did an excellent job with my surgery. i would recommend her to anyone.

flag | Submitted February 9, 2015

She was great twenty years ago, and was most helpful in my 2nd operation, very knowledgeable, great personalty. Would recommend her any day.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2015

Dr. Yvonne Buys is a very rude, abrupt, and one of the most discourteous physicians in Toronto. patients are often already stirred , and her manners add to their stress level, she may not be a social counselor but I wish she did not act like a prison guard either. She would be my last resort for an eye issue!

flag | Submitted October 28, 2014