Ratings for Dr. D. HAL Silcox

I could not be happier with Dr. Silcox and his staff. He is very meticulous in his decision making all to make the best decision. Before any surgical options were offered to me, he wanted several tests to be run to rule out any other problem. Out of three herniated discs, he found the actual problem disc. He explained to me that herniated discs are like gray hairs. Everyone gets them, however, some you may not notice. My L5/S1 was the main problem, so he offered to do a fusion. I had another co-worker tell me that her husband had the same surgery done by Dr. Silcox, and that he couldn't be happier with him. So, I decided to proceed with the operation. The pre-op visit was a breeze. Dr. Silcox's PA met with me and answered every question my wife and I had. I met with the nurses at the surgical center and they were very pleasant and helpful. Every aspect of my operation was discussed, including my diet after the operation. When I arrived at the surgical center on the day of my surgery, I filled out a few short forms and was on my way back to pre-op. After getting prepped, and meeting with the anesthetist, Dr. Silcox came to meet me and discuss any last minute concerns my wife or I may have had. His bedside manner is outstanding. He told me he prayed for me that morning before he left his house and prefaced that by saying that he does that for all his patients whether that's their thing or not. It was a gesture that I appreciated very much. After my surgery, Dr. Silcox came to check on me after I was alert. He was an absolute pleasure to be around, and my wife and I appreciate all that he has done for me. I was sent home about 10 hours after surgery. It amazes me that major back surgery can be done outpatient. I am now three weeks post op, and I have very little pain related to the surgery. I know that this will be a long road to recovery, so I'm not expecting immediate relief to my pain, so I am trying to remain optimistic. However, everything that I was told to expect has been right on the money. Dr. Silcox and his staff should be very proud of their work. I will always refer anyone I know, who needs this kind of help, to Dr. Silcox. HIs attention to detail and thoughtfulness is very impressive. All of these other negative reviews make no sense to me, and make me wonder how legitimate they are.

flag | Submitted July 31, 2017

Dr Silcox is a poor excuse for a physician , all he cares is about dollar signs from the Workman compensation company . The medical board needs to step in and fine him

flag | Submitted March 8, 2017

Having had a long history of dealing with doctors and having a clear understanding that not all doctors are the same, and that not all doctors care much about the patient, but more about how many surgeries they can do in a year., I am extremely picky and demanding when it comes to my Healthcare. I had been in chronic pain for 3 months before a colleague referred me to Dr. Silcox. I feel truly blessed to have found him and his staff. He was able to give me a correct diagnosis on the first visit. I had been to three other recommended specialists who had overlooked something in my MRI. He sat down with me, looked over my MRI Page by Page and showed me exactly where the problem was. Believe it or not, the other doctors I had visited had neglected to take X-rays with me bending over forward and backwards... Which happens to be w one can determine if a patient has spondylolisthesis. I had been suffering for months with chronic pain because other doctors I had seen brushed it off as arthritis given I am only 53 years old and have always been active. Because I am a very detail-oriented person and my best friend is an ortho sales rep and I have heard lots of operating room accounts, I had countless detail-oriented questions, about the procedure. I never felt rushed or that he was put off by my need to know. I did months worth of research before deciding to move forward with surgery. He uses a newer technique to fuse L4 and L5. It is a non-invasive method called OLIF which has only been introduced in the last couple of years. When it comes to newer procedures, surgeons have to learn how to perform them. That requires that the doctor care enough about the patient's recovery to actually schedule the classes learn about the procedure comma and go to labs to learn to do it. Not all doctors want to take the time to do that. They are already accustomed to the old way of doing it which extends the patient's recovery time. This technique enables the doctor to perform the fusion without cutting any muscle or ligament or touching any nerves.The benefit of the OLIF is that the patient has a much quicker recovery. I am 1 week post-op and am amazed at how well I feel. I only take medication for pain at night before going to bed. I only needed the medication for pain as prescribed during the first two days after. The Chronic pain I had is completely gone.. The only discomfort I feel is muscular and a result of spending a lot of time resting in order to allow the vertebras to fuse together. Another thing that impressed me was his bedside manner. Once we decided to move forward with the surgery, I was given very detailed instructions in writing to prepare me for surgery and after surgery as well. Even including diet recommendations. The most important part of the fusion are the months afterwards. If a patient does not follow those instructions to 80, the fusion could not take. In fact comma the research that I have done revealed that it takes one year for the bone to completely solidify. If a patient does not follow instructions, it will affect them for the rest of their lives. I intend on doing exactly as he has recommended.. something else which I have read is extremely important is the fact that the person must continue to exercise from that point forward to ensure the core muscles that hold the spine together support that system. Diet also plays a role in the fragility of the bone structure all of those things were explained to me.. I Just cannot say enough good things about Dr Silcox and his staff. The office staff is as caring as he is. They do whatever they can to work you in if you need to see him. I have already recommended dr. Silcox to two dear friends which are struggling with back issues. I highly recommend him and will continue to do so.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2016

Dr. Silcox performed an Anterior Lumbar Fusion on my L5/S1 in 2004. He did an excellent job taking me back to where I was pre-INITIAL injury in 1984! He even came in to pre-op and had a time of prayer with me, my wife, and several other friends who were gathered. Wish I could use him again, but I live in Nashville now!

flag | Submitted July 5, 2016

Dr. Silcox did a lumbar fusion on my wife. 3 years later my wife is back in an enormous amount of pain. About 6 - 8 weeks after the surgery my wife was still in a lot of pain. We went back to Dr. Silcox's office, they did an X-ray, left me and my wife sitting in a room for at least an hour and 15 minutes without even checking in, then his PA comes in (not him, guess he did not have time to address his substandard work) and says the cage had settled into the bone, but it was normal and should resolve itself. That was a bold faced lie. Now 3 years later, we see another surgeon who tells us the problem was caused by Dr. Silcox using a cage that was too big and it has sunk into the bone so badly it is causing compression and after a mylogram it has been determined it can not be fixed. Due to the time line, my wife can not even bring action against him now. Due to my wife being down for longer than expected, we were unable to make the first payment on an arrangement we had made. He dropped my wife like a hot rock and refused to see his patient. He is only concerned with getting paid, and not concerned with his patients as much as the $$$. He deceived us and concealed his mistake. Now my wife has to pay for it the rest of her life. Beware of this doctor. I perceive his integrity to be less than that it should be. Now that I know it was his work that was substandard, I will trash him every chance I get. Dr. Silcox, my wife may not be able to sue you, but this will be addressed with the medical board.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

Dr. Silcox is a excellent Doctor He operated on my back several years ago. while he was at Emory, and it has lasted all these years.. THANKS DR. SILCOX. He is not only a excellent Doctor he is a good person, I have known him and both sides of his family a long long time. I would recommend him to anyone who has a back problem.

flag | Submitted July 2, 2015

I recently had a cervical laminoplasty surgery with Dr Silcox. My experience with his staff was excellent. The courtesyqq ans attentiveness extended by his staff was par excellent. Dr Silcox has excellent bedside manners and goes beyond the usual to explain the diagnosis, treatment, and expected outcome. His PA, Todd Messick, shows equal concern, patience, courtesy. I highly recommend this practice.

flag | Submitted November 30, 2014

Staff was ok. Wait time was about an hour and 10 minutes, but I was early. Dr. Silcox was very patient and he explained everything that he was doing. He seemed very concerned about my condition and was very attentive when I explained what was giving me pain. I would recommend him to anyone looking for a good doctor.

flag | Submitted May 30, 2014

This is not the doctor to use if you have an insurance claim. He will attempt to screw your claim. He is a very dishonest and unfair person. Any negative comment you have read, believe it. Choose another doctor or you will regret it.

flag | Submitted March 1, 2013

I was injured while working for Delta Airlines in 2001, I have undergone 2 surgeries performed by Dr. Hal Silcox. The second fusion he performed, he placed the screw through the nerve in my neck and I have suffered day and night with a pain level of 10 since July 2005. I told him about the pain, and he told me that I had nerve damage, and sent me to see Dr. Schiff. I have had numerous Nerve Root Block Injections, and a host of pain pills. Whenever I would go to the ER, he would tell them to send me home and take some over-the-counter asprin. On my next, of many visit to the ER, I did not tell them who did my surgery, and they referred me to a specialist. The specialist told me the cause of the nerve damage, performed a 3rd fusion and I now have limited use of my arms and fingers. Dr. Silcox told me he was never going to go to court on my behalf. He did not care about me, only about his continued income from Worker's Compensation! QUACK!!!!!

flag | Submitted November 14, 2012