Ratings for Dr. Dean M. Toriumi

POSITIVE BLOG FOR DR. DEAN TORIUMI, MD I am writing this message and posting it so prospective patients of Dr. Dean Toriumi can have some insight into the scope and talent of this facial plastic surgeon. I myself am a double board certified plastic surgeon and also do open rhinoplasty. I have had the good fortune to train with some of the top rhinoplastic surgeons and have had a varied practice with primary, secondary, and sometimes three times (tertiary) patients who want revision rhinoplasty. It is no accident that when I fractured my nose and had a chronically deviated nasal tip that I would only want an expert and somebody as meticulous and as obsessive with the final result as I am. Dr. Dean Toriumi has a practice that is essentially mostly rhinoplasty. He has spearheaded techniques that are only now coming forward as long-lasting and essential in correcting nasal deformities as well as bringing out the best functional and cosmetic outcome. It is no accident that I would travel across the country to visit this surgeon who is not only gracious but compassionate for my own nasal surgery. He performed an excellent open rhinoplasty on me utilizing a rib graft and absolutely brought back symmetry, harmony, function, and excellent cosmetic appearance to my facial canvas. The experience was professional. His staff was straightforward and compassionate, and his Surgical Fellow, Dr. Eric Rosenberger, all contributed to a tremendous result and postsurgical experience. I have nothing but high praise for Dr. Toriumi, and there is no higher praise than having a fellow plastic surgeon seek out his care. It is important for anybody who desires primary, secondary, or even tertiary rhinoplasty to realize that there is a degree of swelling that happens postoperatively. The more times your nose is operated, the more swelling is to be expected and for a longer period of time, sometimes lasting for at least a year to a year and a half. Swelling can be managed without issue, but it is important to realize that swelling is part of the healing process. I would recommend Dr. Toriumi for anyone who desires rhinoplasty, and I would underscore the fact that he is worth the wait and worth every cent invested in the result! XM

flag | Submitted January 11, 2016

Given his international reputation and exorbitant fees, the standards for patient care in Dr. Toriumi's practice are abysmal! While most doctors have realized that thanks to the internet their behaviour is open to worldwide scrutiny, Dr. Toriumi and especially his practice manager, Pat, seem to think they can still get away with disrespecting and mistreating their patients with impunity. Many people who consult with Dr. Toriumi have suffered traumatic injuries or multiple surgeries to resolve facial deformities, and often travel great distances to see him and pay tens of thousands of dollars for surgery. A reasonable person would expect his office staff to treat such patients with some consideration, compassion and a bit of empathy. I can tell you from personal experience that, above all, Pat is interested in getting your money and a positive review (not surprisingly, since Dr. Toriumi has so many negative reviews). She does not follow up on e-mails or phone calls without being chased down. If she bothers to respond, she is often cold, argumentative and/or dismissive. She does Dr. Toriumi's practice a great disservice.

flag | Submitted January 6, 2016

Dr. Toriumi performed my revision surgery on my rhinoplasty. I have to say, that he is an impeccable Doctor! He, and his staff have truly set the benchmark of how a plastic surgeons office ought to be. They have taken exceptional care of me since my surgery. Unlike my first rhinoplasty surgery experience. I had my first rhinoplasty at the age of twenty one. This was a major transformation from my original nose; I loved it at the time. However, as time elapsed I noticed, and felt as if the work was done impetuously. For example, there ended up being more cartilage on one side of the tip of my nose than the other. About a decade later I decided to have the work rectified. After much due diligence, my decision was to go with Dr. Toriumi. I did not want another botched surgery! From time to time, I take a look at my before pictures that I had reviewed during my consultation. I compare them to the nose Dr. Toriumi gave me, and there is no resemblance, a complete renewal! Even as the swelling is abating, I am able to see the difference, and I am overjoyed with the results! Thank you Dr. Toriumi, and staff, I am grateful for all that you have done.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2015

This Dr. has ZERO talent as a plastic surgery, in my opinion. I went to him for breathing problems, because he is an ENT Dr. as well, and is highly recommended by other Drs. for revisionary rhinoplasty. My old nose, which had one previous surgery when I was a teenager, was cosmetically fine, and was not an obstruction to my face at all. All I wanted from this Dr. was to get the breathing problem fixed. He completely changed my nose, and for the worse! It looks horrid. He lowered to bring it closer to the face, on his own and without consulting with me, and thereby created a hump in between my eyes that was not there before. He made the tip downward (I had a nice upward tip before) and added an 1/2 an inch too much of length, so I look like pinnoccio from the side. It seems that everything he did had the effect of making the nose as unattractive as possible. And the results look nothing like the digital image he shows you of what it's going to look like. What I want to know is, how could someone that has been doing this, almost daily, for the last 30 years, and is board certified in plastic surgery, be that bad!!! It is actually incredible how bad he is, and my only conclusion is that he is extremely inept at cosmetic surgery and should not be allowed within 10 ft. from someone's face. My face looks so different, and much less attractive than before, thanks to his work. As all the other reviewers, I got met with cold stares and a bullying attitude from him when I raised my concerns over his work. I paid close to $30K, to have my face ruined by him. I wish I had listened to the bad reviews (as opposed to other Drs' recommendations online, who now I'm convinced, have never seen his actual work). He is truly the worst thing that can happen to your face and I'm surprised that he is affiliated with a prestigious university like UC. Be warned.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2015

Dr. Dean Toriumi performed my rhinoplasty about 2.5 years ago. I am beyond satisfied with the result, and honestly could not be happier with the outcome. It was my 4th rhinoplasty. I had skin cancer removed from my nose many years ago, and it created significant issues with my left nostril. The nostril was pulled all the way up; I was experiencing severe alar retraction on that side. I saw Dr. Toriumi at a medical meeting in Chicago, and he could not believe the state of my nose - especially considering I was a rhinoplasty surgeon. My nose was over-rotated, cut off short, and collapsed in the middle. We talked about my goals and came to a fantastic conclusion on what would be the best approach, as Dr. Toriumi and I share the same aesthetics. He wanted to take composite grafts; a small graft would be placed on right nostril and a larger one on left nostril. In addition, Dr. Toriumi planned to put a graft in the area where I had the scar from the skin cancer removal. The surgery went amazing, and I absolutely love what Dr. Toriumi did in the operating room. So if one were to ask, "What is Dr. Toriumi's ability to repair other physicians' work, and why is he considered a physician's physician?" I can tell you exactly why. Experience, knowledge, and compassion. Many of our colleagues send the most difficult cases to Dr. Toriumi. He has spoken about rhinoplasty all around the world, and our colleagues see the type of work he does. When other doctors who perform complex cases themselves go to him to get their nose fixed, that says it all right there. I've been listening to Dr. Toriumi speak at lectures for the last 15 years. He thinks about the surgery in detail and studies the procedure systematically. He then writes about it. 10 years later, Dr. Toriumi will follow up on the outcome. As a surgeon myself, Dr. Toriumi is the type of doctor I want to see. And I did just that. I wanted a doctor who not only has impeccable skills, but also takes the time and makes the effort to educate himself and others on the long term outcome of his well-researched techniques. This helps to ensure that patients will have the best result for years and years to come. Please see the link below for my full video testimonial review and an inside look at how my nose turned out! https://www.dropbox.com/s/6vbqsy22o8bhs6w/Nassif%20interview%20high%20resolution%20version.mpg?dl=0

flag | Submitted December 15, 2015

Don't ruin your life by letting him operate on your nose. I'm writing this review after 18months of surgery. In March, 2014, I went to him to fix the tip of the nose but he removed all the nose and put rib everywhere. So big ribs that they're touching to my upper jaw. I've small round face but the nose he put on me is like 6'4" tall guy's nose. I've lost the whole symmetry on my face. After the surgery, I look angry, mad all the time due to flaring nostrils. After the surgery, my nose was not perceivable to human mind so I kept paper tape on it for first 4months. After first hand experience, I can say this doctor is worthless and makes such mess that no one in the world can reverse it. After reading reviews on him, I can say with this doctor it's either hit or miss so be very very very careful while you're shortlisting your doctors list. I made the expensive mistake believing his website, his words and other doctors review about him. I wish I would've listened to his patient whose life he's messed up.

flag | Submitted August 7, 2015

It's been 6 months since I had my rhinoplasty/ septoplasty surgery with Dr. Dean Toriumi. Words can not express how happy I am with the results. I have never had surgery before and was very hesitant to chance anything, especially on my face. However, it came to a point where my breathing and appearance of my nose became very bothersome. September 2014 I decided to start looking into surgeons. I extensively researched all the doctors in the Chicago, NY and LA area (Chicago is home). I researched the surgery I needed, used yelp and other web-based sites to read reviews. I also talked to people I know who have had rhinoplasty as well as spoke directly to other surgeons (I work in the medical industry, specifically surgery). I asked every surgeon I worked with following question "if your wife was to have a rhinoplasty, who would you send her to?" EVERY SINGLE DR. SAID TORIUMI! I still wanted to feel comfortable with my decision, so I scheduled a consultation with 2 doctors . I was able to get my first consult with Dr. Shah and then a few week later with Dr. Toriumi. I immediately felt comfortable with Toriumi from my first consult. He is a brilliant physician. He is soft spoken and really gets down to business. To be candid he is not warm and fuzzy and that's simply because he's busy. He takes the time to address your needs and wants as well as answer all questions. If your more concerend with a bedside manor then results then maybe he is not your guy. But, personally I'd rather have a phenomenal outcome than a great converstation. Dr. Toriumi's craft is constructing the nose to fit your facial features. It's truly an art form in order for it to not look like a typical nose job. He is very meticulous to ensure what he changes is what's best for your face. Everyone I know has responded saying how great and natural my nose looks. It's truly perfect and I can finally breathe. If there is one thing you remember about my review let it be this-- You have 1 face and 1 chance to truly get it right. Why roll the dice? DO IT ONCE AND DO IT RIGHT. Do your research! Toriumi is pricey don't get me wrong, but  you will spending more money and time fixing a surgery your not happy with.  I cannot say enough about Dr. Toriumi's and his office staff.  They made me feel extremely comfortable and took the time to explain every step of the process to me.  Anytime I called in with a question, they were quickly responsive.  The staff was also very accommodating to my busy work schedule.  I would absolutely recommend Dr. Toriumi to all my family and friends.  He is simply the best!

flag | Submitted June 24, 2015

Over five years ago, Dr. Toriumi performed a complex reconstruction on my nose after I suffered multiple facial fractures in an accident. The craniofacial surgeon who repaired my eye and cheek referred me to him in hopes of achieving the best functional and cosmetic outcome in a single surgery. I do not have the nose I was born with, but I had an excellent result from Dr. Toriumi. It was over a year before the swelling subsided, but I could breathe well within several weeks. Keep in mind when you read reviews that some - not all - unhappy post-rhinoplasty patients do not have realistic expectations of what can be achieved through surgery. They were unhappy with their noses before surgery and they continue to be unhappy after surgery. This is my observation after spending years undergoing plastic surgery to repair my injuries and talking to patients in waiting rooms, as well as working on the other side of the surgical drape in anesthesia (my specialty). I concede that if you are seeking to reduce the size of your nose via ungrafted primary rhinoplasty, Dr. Toriumi may not be the best choice. That said, for revision rhinoplasty and reconstruction, he is considered the best in his field for a reason.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2015

Can anyone recommend a doctor to revise Torium's surgery on the west and east coast ? Sadly, I too have fallen victim what has been written below. I am at my wits end. Please help.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2015

Dr. Toriumi and his staff are knowledgeable, put my questions at ease, friendly and patient. He fixed my two previous surgeries for a deviated septum and I couldn't be more satisfied with the outcome.

Submitted April 15, 2015

Dr. Dean M. Toriumi's Credentials

• Rush Med Coll Of Rush Univ, Chicago Il 60612 (Grad. 1983)

MSP/BC Med