Ratings for Dr. David McManus

Dr. McMannus is way too relaxed or doesn't care, take your pick. He pretty much lets the patient decide what meds he/she should be on and what the dose should be. When things are going horribly wrong he prefers to remain with the status quo and continue to let his patient remain unwell rather than be bothered to change the med because that would be too much work. He is NEVER available in an emergency, NEVER returns any calls no matter how serious the situation and basically provides NO SUPPORT outside of the 45 minutes he spends with the patient once every 8 weeks. He has the most God awful rudest secretary, who is plainly ignorant and mean. If you need an appmt monthly instead of every 2 months, you are supposed to phone her every month to book it. Is this not HER job??. I am fed up with the treatment received in this office and would not recommend this Dr to anyone. Looking for a new one at the moment.

flag | Submitted August 12, 2016

I have been Dr. McManus patient over 16 years.... he is the kind man... very good listener and has good heart..... he saved me after I was so down after my heart problem and seizures.... will not see anybody else..... thank you Dr. McManus.... how is your family??? sincerely M.K.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2016

I've read the reviews and must say that I agree with most. DR McManus is a good listener, he knows his stuff. Unfortunately, his receptionist is in need of his care. She does not acknowledge patients as they arrive, nor does she acknowledge them when spoken to. I asked many times for my records which she refused to give me and so I finally called The College to see if I was in fact within my right to obtain the records and was reassured I was. So I asked the College to please phone and explain this (to this difficult and oppositional woman). They did. THIS put the doctor on defence and he berated me for "alerting the college to his office". He told me "I can't have it both ways". He went ballistic. As I left his office in an extreme breakdown for the fallout from having stuck up for myself and setting healthy boundaries I knew it was the last time I would receive such quality care from a good doctor. It's surprising that he protects her so passionately given the way she treats people. I've never met such an unkind person, obviously in need of therapeutic care. Poor dr McManus, just doesn't have the balls to deal with such a bully. I'm guessing.

Submitted May 12, 2016

Very helpful, knowledgeable and kind. Receptionist has always been great in my view.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

Most of my visits with Dr. McManus lead me to connect with a truth about myself that was just beyond my reach, or with the inspiration to do better for myself. He listens and has wonderful insight. I think we've found as good a balance of meds as we will together, and the infrequent appointments mostly work for me, except that I struggle to keep track of them. I'd give anything for automated e-mail or text reminders on the week of. The receptionist makes me uncomfortable, but she seems to be good at the whole paper scheduling thing...

flag | Submitted November 19, 2014

An excellent 7 years with he good Dr. He is kind and caring, always takes the time to listen to me. Couldn't find a better shrink anywhere.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2014

Dr. McManus is such an excellent psychiatrist. I have been seeing him for about 5 years now and I feel like every time we speak I learn a little more about myself. He is very patient and understanding and not judgmental, I feel like I can speak to him about anything. The only difficult things are that it is hard to get appointments with him and he books up very quickly. His receptionist is also a tough nut to crack, but after a while she softens up. I would recommend him to anyone with a mental illness in a heartbeat.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

Amazing man, been seeing him for 7 years. Very patient and understanding. The secretary is awful though.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2014

Dr. McManus changed my life. He understood completely what I was asking and respected my hesitation in trying any anti-depressant or anti-anxiatey drug. Instead he provided a prescription, with my approval, that has had a significant beneficial impact on my day to day life. At times you may have to wait to see your appointment, which is only a testament to how much he cares and tries to give each patient as much time as possible. If you don't like to wait, book earlier in the day. The receptionist is a brute but honestly that's whats needed in an office. Most of the people that have posted negative reviews are not taking responsibility for their own health and progress and are instead relying on the Dr. to "fix them". Personal opinion.

flag | Submitted September 2, 2014

Completely UNhelpful. Didn't listen, prescribed medication that I told him had caused bad side effects & didn't work (he prescribed the same thing, only under an expensive brand name - so I not only paid for a drug I'd already tried before, but had to pay a ridiculous amount for it!). After seeing him & sharing my story, I learned he seriously misdiagnosed & mistreated an acquaintance - wish I'd known before I wasted over almost 2 hours in the waiting room with his horrible receptionist. As far as comments about how such a "good" doctor could have a such bad office staff - he probably keeps her so that after dealing with her, patients are deluded into thinking he is vaguely compentent.

flag | Submitted February 16, 2014