Ratings for Dr. Bernardus Smit

Had 2 THR's one in 2010 and one in 2011 - perfect results. I have been back to skiing, tennis, golf, yoga and hiking like I have before surgery. Great surgeon very direct and blunt but very conscientious and knowledgeable. I have recommend him to anyone needing orthopedic work done.

flag | Submitted September 12, 2017

Very Busy office,rushed care. Hospital ER Staff diagnosed a post-op infection that I had treated at hospital with IV Therapy. He stated was not an infection.

flag | Submitted April 25, 2011

I have had two total hip replacements done by Dr. Smit. He did a superb job on both sides, has rescued me from much chronic pain and disability and given me a new lease on life. I couldn't be happier. He is an efficient communicator and good listener.

flag | Submitted June 17, 2010

It helps to be prepared (write down your questions ahead of time) because he is a fast talker and I believe ESL (Dutch?). However, his website has lots of information and I used that to prep myself. The surgery itself was much more timely than elsewhere (forget waiting lists) and no complications or complaints whatsoever.

flag | Submitted April 22, 2009

Screwed up IM nail surgery for broken humerus and then walked away from the problem he created. I had to go to a GP on my own to get a referral to VGH to have the rod removed and a compression plate put on. Impossible to talk to or ask questions. The surgeon at VGH (O' Brien) was a joy to deal with and fixed my arm with no complications. I would not recommend Smit in any way and would instead heartily recommend Dr. O'Brien or Dr. Guy at VGH.

flag | Submitted December 8, 2007

I now have a permanent disfigurement as a result of this surgeon. I had a torn tendon in my hand which should have been treated as an emergency and had immediate surgery. Surgery was recommended about three months after the date of injury and Dr. Smit "rushed" me through. I ended up with a finger that was "stuck" in a bent position and could not be stretched with Physio. I spent 3 months trying to find another Surgeon who would work on my hand (I even had amputation recommended to me as a solution!!!). It took 3 subsequent surgeries (3 stage tendon repair) from a fantastic doctor (i.e., NOT Dr. Smit)to gain mobility and have a working digit. In having my after care from my other surgeries to compare - I would NEVER go to Peace Arch hospital again.

flag | Submitted July 10, 2007

Does not listen to patient. Manner aloof.

flag | Submitted June 20, 2007

Took me on emergency basis and did great job on fractured arm which required pinning. Dedicated and highly personable. This doctor is dedicated and represents an axample of what Canadians want to find in a doctor but often don't. thanks and bessings in helping an injued Canadian who arrived 'off the street, essentially'.

flag | Submitted May 22, 2007

Did an amazing job when my husband fell and tore the quad muscle off the knee. Also did my knee replacement and it's amazing. Great surgeon.

flag | Submitted April 16, 2007