Ratings for Dr. Ian Varney

I met Dr. Varney last week as he was filling in for my physician. He was lovely - easy to talk to, helpful and just pleasant. He's a painter too. Thanks Doc.

flag | Submitted September 17, 2017

My experience with Dr. Varney was awful. He was filling in for my long term GP and I have seen him twice and I will never see him again if he is filling in. He is rude, disrespectful, condescending, has a know-it-all attitude and is lazy. He does not want to do any work. My situation was complicated. A health issue being managed over a 2 year period and he was not interested in having to jump in and have to deal with results or manage my care. He clearly stated 'why are you here?' Your regular doctor will be back in 2 weeks. I told him I was anxious for very important results which will determine next steps. He made a face, a huge sigh... very reluctantly read the results. I then needed a referral and he said I didn't need one. I said I did and again wanted me to sit with him to write it up. I walked out. This man should not be practicing anymore. Perhaps he was a fine doctor in the past. He now has ZERO patience with patients and is intolerable. 2 thumbs down for this doctor. Do not waste your time!!!

flag | Submitted August 29, 2017

Dr. Varney was my doctor when he practiced in Mississauga, Ontario. He is not only the best doctor I ever had, but also a kind and compassionate man. He went above and beyond for me and I will never forget it. I was appalled by the bad reviews. Please don't be taken in by those. It appears to me they were written by a person(s) who were trying to make bogus insurance claims or the like. So please consider the source. In any case, you will never find a better or more honest doctor.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2017

Thank you Doc Varney, your calm beside manner was very welcome when I ame you you extremely stressed. I apprehended you explained everything. Very best wishes

flag | Submitted March 15, 2017

I've seen Dr Varney occasionally when he has covered for my longtime excellent dr. I was concerned by his response to me a couple of years ago, but my most recent experience was awful. I had infections in both ears. Without checking my chart, he prescribed my Suprax. After three weeks of having multiple GI issues. I returned to see my regular dr, who checked what he had prescribed and suspected C Difficile. This was confirmed by the lab. I'm finally off 24 days of another antibiotic for the C Diff. Dr Brunt tells me I can never take any antibiotic again because of the Suprax. I will never see Dr Varney ever again.

flag | Submitted December 6, 2016

We had a newborn child with instructions from our delivering surgeon that our child was to see his pediatrician within 48 hours of arriving at home. We were 15 minutes late for our appointment (Dr. Varney was covering for our regular Doctor) and Dr. Varney cancelled our appointment because he had a "lunch appointment". Keep in mind that our appointment was at 9:15am. We rescheduled for later that day, and when we got into see Dr. Varney I indicated that I was disappointed that our appointment was cancelled so hastily, given how we were new parents and just getting the hang of things (and were only 15 minutes late, when I'd waited in excess of an hour to see Doctors in this office previously). Dr Varney flew off the handle and gave us a threatening ultimatum - essentially shut up and apologize to him, or cancel our appointment altogether (not an option given what our attending dr. in the hospital had advised). Given that we had no option, we took Dr. Varney's abuse to get through the appointment. Dr Varney is an a$$h0le of epic proportions, one who's ego vastly outweighs his contributions as a doctor. His art is also derivative garbage. Would not recommend this Doctor to anyone under any circumstances. Avoid at all costs.

flag | Submitted September 27, 2016

I have never before in my life come across a doctor that was worse than Dr Varney. He did not listen to what I was saying at all and ran unnecessary tests that were done a month previously. He was extraordinarily rude, condescending, and very arrogant. When I had asked him why he was being so hostile to me, he turned on me like a petulant child. Later when I asked a question, he cut me off and berated me. It was absolutely appalling. He was so arrogant in fact, that he finally made me cry. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers and he managed to completely unravel and humiliate me. A man like this has no business practising medicine. I urge anyone to read the other reviews about him. It is no coincidence that the words "arrogant" , "rude", "condescending" etc.... pop up again and again. As for the favourable reviews, I can only imagine he is either a veritable Dr. Jeckyl and Mr. Hyde or he has hired people to write them.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2016

Saw Dr. Ian Varney in relation to an insurance claim and found out months later that he never filed a medical report to the insurance company which is why they refused to pay my travel expenses. Complete incompetence and lack of professionalism, not to mention that the appointment I attended was a complete farce. He was rude and condescending.

flag | Submitted July 21, 2015

I have seen Dr. Varney on a few occasions when my Family doctor was on vacation. I found him to be most helpful and very knowledgeable. He took the time to sit with me and listen to my issues, never rushing me or making me feel like I was wasting his time. He always makes me feel like my issues are important and takes the time needed to both listen and give his opinion/diagnosis. I felt relieved after our appointment and I felt listened to and respected. I highly recommend Dr. Varney, a great doctor.

flag | Submitted February 24, 2015

I recently saw Dr. Varney when he was substitute for my regular Dr. I would not recommend him to anyone. He was incredibly rude and condescending. He was judgemental and demeaning without knowing myself or the history of the situation. I would avoid him at all costs.

flag | Submitted January 29, 2015