Ratings for Dr. Michael D. Burdi

I would definitely recommend Dr. Burdi. He performed my L5-S1 fusion only three weeks ago and I am feeling fantastic (respectively). I had been in pain for almost ten years and when I finally saw Dr. Burdi, I found that I was suffering from a congenital issue and my only plausible option was a fusion. Being in my early twenties, I was terrified. I had only heard horror stories of fusions, including some from family members, but Dr. Burdi took the time to explain everything in detail and leave me assured that everything was going to go smoothly. My insurance had us jump through some hoops to get the surgery covered but Dr. Burdi and his team assisted in every way possible. They kept me updated and answered all my questions. After a pier to pier, they were able to get my surgery covered and scheduled quickly. The day of the surgery, I had decided that, if at all possible, I would like to go home instead of staying in the hospital. He advised against it, but told me that it was my decision and gave me the tools necessary to succeed if I decided to head home. I ended up leaving the same day with no complications! Recovery, thus far, has been fairly quick. My initial pain and discomfort was gone immediately and the pain from the surgery itself has subsided almost completely in the past weeks. Dr. Burdi was also very prompt in prescribing Physical Therapy which has help my pain level decrease significantly. The six months of no BLT’s (bending, lifting, twisting) doesn’t seem as daunting anymore. I’ve had to put aside running, hiking, and pretty much anything strenuous, but I am already walking multiple miles a day. Everyones recovery is different, but Dr. Burdi has definitely taken the time to make sure that I will succeed. He is charismatic and confident and has really taken my healing seriously.

flag | Submitted September 3, 2017

I have waited to write this review until the first 6 weeks recovery was reached. I had surgery on May 22 2017 and today is July 5th and I have been pretty much pain free! After suffering for 10 plus years and in chronic pain since September 2016 when we returned from out River Cruise. I tried everything that had worked in the past from my Chiropractic treatment to spine injections, steroids that caused 30 pounds weight gain and a nerve oblation procedure. They eased a little of my pain but only for a week or two...when my pain returned with a vengeance. When I finally agreed to consider surgery I met with Dr. Burdi. He was thorough in his examination, X-rays, MRI that he went over the results with me. He showed me how my L2&3 disc had collapsed and were now bone on bone causing my extreme pain. He said I was a perfect candidate for XLIF surgery side entrance to remove the collapsed disc. I was more impressed with his explanation of my problem and how the XLIF side entry surgery could fix & relieve my chronic pain than the Neurosurgeon's back surgery I was considering. Not only am I now pain free but my recovery has been every bit as amazingly easy as Dr. Burdi described. I am moving with such ease it is hard to believe I had major back surgery just 6 weeks ago. My little scares are healing and very small. Mission Hospital"s Spine Surgery floor was impressive and the staff very caring. I know understand how people love their Doctors and Dr. Michael Burdi is the best!

flag | Submitted July 5, 2017

I got thrown over my horses head and it damaged an already compromised back from a steel shelf falling on my head years earlier. Doctor is excellent as is his assistant,Tyler, and office lady, Pat. This conservative doctor did not go straight for surgery but used Physical Therapy, then shots before operating. The horse fall caused a disc over a bulge to herniate and trap nerves. During surgery Dr. Burdi and Tyler found a blood vessel that had engorged trapping nerves even more and causing excessive pain. I was told this is a rare problem but fortunately the team knew what to do. There was only minor pain after the surgery in the area of the L4, L5 the place of the operation. I appreciated how organized the lovely office was, pleasantness of the workers, and especially the center in the building next to them used just for orthopedic doctors. The staff there was wonderful and babied you. This is so much better and safer than a hospital. The doctor and nursing staff called that night to see how I was doing and I was doing well. Thanks, Linda A.

flag | Submitted April 14, 2017

I had surgery with Dr Burdi for my low back and sciatic pain. He explained to me what was going on and why I had this pain. He assured me that the only relief would be through surgery. Well right after surgery my sciatic pain was gone. Recovery has been wonderful I can now walk without pain and stand without pain. Before standing in line at a store for instance would cause discomfort. Dr Burdi is wonderful and I would recommend him to anyone suffering any spinal pain. He's the best!!

flag | Submitted June 28, 2016

We went to see Dr. Burdi when my 14 year old daughter complained about back pain. We were all surprised when the x-ray showed she had a slipped disk and a broken vertebrae. After 3 months of wearing a back brace 24/7, several months of PT, an MRI, CATSCAN, and cortisone shots she was still in pain on a daily basis. One year later when she was 15, Dr. Burdi performed a L5-S1 fusion and bone graft to fix the break. This 3 hour surgery went extremely well and my daughter left the surgical center that very day. Her recovery was remarkable. She took pain killers for all of 2 days on instructions from the nurses. When we realized the pain meds were making her feel sick, she stopped and never complained a day about pain.1 week later she started PT and went back to school... still with no complaints about her back. We are so happy we found Dr. Burdi and he was willing to do this surgery on such young patient because her quality of life was seriously compromised and at such a young age. Coincidently my husband herniated a disk and had to have back surgery 3 months after my daughter. Dr. Burdi was just as wonderful with my husband. Yes... you have to wait to see him and sometimes it can be 30-60 min. but he is so good at his job that I think it is worth it.

flag | Submitted August 8, 2015

I have had 2 surgeries with Dr Burdi, one small (partial discectomy) and the other large,(spondylolistesis and stenosis Both surgeries 2 years apart, the most recent one 3 months ago were done successfully thanks to Dr Burdi. Painless with the only discomfort being from the after effects of the anesthesia. My complaint before surgery was pain, numbness and not being able to walk for more than 20 mins. I am now pain free and walking without effort the next day after both surgeries, my longest walk recently being 4 hours. Considering I have 4 titanium screws in my back I am delighted with the surgery results and highly recommend Dr Burdi and his attentive staff. A good experience all around. .

flag | Submitted July 14, 2015

Dr. Burdi performed a successful extensive intricate spinal surgery for my L4,L5 & S1. He was an is a very professional, well spoken, an extremely knowledgable in spinal surgery an spinal care. He gave me information regarding my condion an expected me to improve my knowledge of that condion so I could make informed decisions. My surgery was 7.25.14, the next day I walked without pain. Yes, sure there was surgery pain but there is no pain worst than back pain without relief. I now walk from 3-5 miles three days a week without pain...my gratatitude to Dr. Burdi's knowledge, and skill that has allowed me to walk, sit, stand, an lie down without pain.

flag | Submitted May 19, 2015

With Lumbar spine needing help, no longer responding to any therapy, Dr. Burdi repaired all areas in question. He left no nerve damage and fixed all compressed nerve pain. Spinal stenosis, migrating vertebrae, herniated discs were all repaired using microdiscectomy. 7 weeks after surgery I'm doing fantastically well. Thank you Dr.

flag | Submitted May 14, 2015

Dr. Burdi was very conservative in treatment of my stenosis,etc. After epidurals, physical therapy, etc. I finally needed surgery. It was very successful and on my way to complete recovery - with no more pain!

flag | Submitted October 28, 2014

Exceptional!!! Dr. Burdi took the time to thoroughly explain my condition (spinal stenosis) to me in great detail. He outlined a conservative treatment plan for me and indicated surgery would be reserved only if needed. The epidurals he performed relieved my symptoms 99%!!! He is thorough, thoughtful, skilled and professional. His staff is fantastic as well.

flag | Submitted October 12, 2010

Dr. Michael D. Burdi's Credentials

• Stanford University School Of Medicine (Grad. 1998)