Ratings for Dr. Shu Foong

Dr. FOONG did my egg retrieval today, she explained everything so good to my husband and I and was so kind and caring!! So glad she did my egg retrieval!!!!

flag | Submitted July 15, 2016

I met Dr Foong for initial ultrasound and she measured my uterus and it was very uncomfortable she roughly looked at my right ovary and said "I am not even going to bother looking at the left side because u r very uncomfortable". Than she turns to me and said are u sure u want to continue with this treat as this treatment is very painful down the road. I get it she knows her stuff but there is a way to tell a patient. I found her very insensitive to my situation and rude. How ever the clinic usually calls me the day off or next after I leave them voicemails. They r usually good with it. I ddnt have any issues with their phone calls. But just this one Dr did not make my experience well.

flag | Submitted July 11, 2016

Dr Foong she's amazing she did my egg transfer 1st IVF and had a beautiful baby girl.

flag | Submitted May 11, 2016

We struggled to conceive for over 5 years and Dr. Foong was amazing!! She helped us, was kind and caring during our infertility journey. I can't believe some of the negative comments. I always went into my appointments armed with questions and different natural approaches that Dr. Foong was more then happy to discuss. I agree that the fertility clinic needs to answer the phone and be more proactive in this way instead of leaving messages. Considering the amount of patients they see I think they do a great job and I'm so glad I've had Dr. Foong on my side.

flag | Submitted April 7, 2016

The Calgary fertility Clinic simply does not care. How can I rate a doctor I only saw once initially and then after the treatment failed. I barely had the same fertility doctor twice. The clinic was extremely impersonal and all the doctors do is refer to their chart to recall why they were seeing me. There were too many nurses calling me with instructions, never the same nurse twice. The nurses were far more arrogant than the fertility doctors. I had a pregnancy test and they left a message to call back but I had to wait 3 days before I could get through their phone lines to get the result. Yet they will call me every 2 hours until I paid my fees. They have a ridiculous system of 6 am line ups for appointments every 2 days when you start treatment! The clinic charges as much money to buy a car yet they won't put in the money to hire more staff and provide better service. This wouldn't happen if there was another clinic to compete with them. They simply do not care. I have heard lots of people are going to Victoria BC because of better service.

flag | Submitted November 3, 2015

Before I started IVF I received a pamphlet which recommended that women in their 40's do ICSI. When it came time to fertilize my eggs the embryologist did not recommend ICSI because he said that the eggs looked good as did the sperm. Only one of the 15 eggs fertilized and RESCUE ISCI was then done...but it was eventually unsuccessful. After my unsuccessful outcome I met with Dr. Foong and she was very defensive, as though I blamed them for not doing ICSI from the beginning. She said unsuccessful fertilization occurs in 1-3%, she said that the issue was not with rescue ICSI but she had a "gut" feeling that my eggs were poor quality. I found this odd because I was told my eggs looked good after retrieval. In the reading that I've been doing I found that complete unsuccessful fertilization occurs 10-15% of the time, which is much higher than the 1-3% that she quoted. I also read that the chance of success after rescue ICSI does drop and I eventually got her to admit this. I asked her a simple question with no undertones at all - "Could my outcome have been successful if we had done ICSI from the start" and her response was indirect, defensive and inconsistent. She eventually admitted that there is a drop in success rate with rescue ICSI, but I've never heard such run around in my life. It was really weird. Before I met with her I wasn't planning on pointing fingers at the clinic...but I left very unimpressed with her unprofessionalism and poor attitude. I really wish she could be a bit nicer.

flag | Submitted January 28, 2015

Dr. Foong is a good doctor but I would like to rate the Calgary Regional Fertility clinic rather than her personally. Why can't they hire someone to ANSWER THE PHONE!!!! I've called them MANY times in the past and I have NEVER had someone just pick up the phone. Instead I get a recording to either leave a message or call the same number that I just called. The people who work there do call me back, almost always when I am driving or in a work meeting. So then I have to call them back, then they call me back...again almost always at a time when I cannot answer the phone. Just hire more people to answer the phone when it rings! The patients are paying tons of money, so please do us a favour, make life a tiny bit easier, and ANSWER the phone.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

We are still at the investigative stage with testing and we can firmly say Dr Foong knows her stuff, is extremely thorough and took time to explain things to us. The whole process is an overload of information so it's easy to see how it can be overwhelming to some. Ask lots of questions and Dr Foong or her nurses will give you answers. Dr Foong is working with us to exhaust possibilities for less invasive options than IVF and seems to be very ethical. We have a long road ahead but pleased so far with our care and treatment.

flag | Submitted September 4, 2013

Dr Foong is by far the best fertility doctor. I feel sad to hear all of the mixed messages below. It sounds like because they didn't get their information straight, they blame the doctor. She can't help you lose weight in order to be more fertile, she can't get you to eat properly, she can't get you to stop drinking, smoking or having caffeine. So most of the burden lies on YOUR shoulders in helping your fertility situation. However she is the very very best at applying modern medicine's bag of tricks to get your body to respond and conceive. She is thorough and moves fast when needed. She'll hear your concerns and work with you to provide the program that's best for you. But you need to ask questions if you don't understand and you ABSOLUTELY need to read her rates of success. They are BY FAR, the best in Canada. I don't appreciate a doctor who jokes around, Dr Foong has a very professional presence and does her best to be your medical specialist. You won't find a psychologist in her, she is a fertility doctor.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2013

My husband and I worked with Dr. Foong in trying to conceive, and I can very firmly state that it is due to her diligence and knowledge that we now have two beautiful children. She is extremely conscientious, provides excellent counsel and was with us every step of the way. We were so lucky to have her on our side. I can understand why others have been negative here - infertility is such an emotional rollercoaster. However, I hope they can see that for them, there may have been other issues at play and that Dr. Foong should not be blamed. She is outstanding and should be recognized as such.

flag | Submitted October 15, 2012