Ratings for Dr. Dustin Potiuk

Dr. Potiuk is one of the worst doctor's I have ever had. I had something traumatic happen in my life (death of loved one) and he said stuff happens to lots of people, like it was nothing. I told him he was ignorant and uncaring and that I was going to report him to the College of Physicians. The next week I got a letter from him advising me to never return to his practice. I was NEVER planning on returning. I'm not sure why he went into medicine, as he is lacking in social skills. Steer clear of this doctor; the ratings here confirm what I thought for a long time, while I was patient.

flag | Submitted August 28, 2017

As others have said - arrogant, unresponsive to questions and dismissive. Avoid him and the clinic.

flag | Submitted August 10, 2017

Worst doctor on earth, GOTme so addicted to oxycodone it almost killed me! He's a real losser...

flag | Submitted June 23, 2017

So arrogant and possible the worst bedside manner.

flag | Submitted March 28, 2017

He is the worst. Avoid him, especially if you are a young female. Both times I required a PAP I demanded another person in the room and he made such a huge deal about it. Thank God he has retired, under suspicious circumstances I am sure. He also was smug, arrogant and refused to admit I need medical attention for a reaccuring issue.

flag | Submitted March 18, 2017

I showed up before the clinic opened and was 8th in line. I went in and set up my walk in, I asked how long they thought it might be. I was told I'm second for walk in, but the don't know when Dr.potiuk would arrive. I talked to a few regular patients and they said dr.p is usually anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes late for work. True enough, he was 50 minutes after clinic opening. His manner was smug, and seemed to think my health matter was trivial (I have since learned it is NOT trivial). I learnt more from webmd than him, despite asking questions. Only positive I can give him is that he ordered quite a few tests for me, possibly even more than I needed.

flag | Submitted March 2, 2017

I have had Dr Potiuk as my doctor since I moved to Victoria in 2009 and have been very grateful to have found such a great doc. He has always been professional, caring and engaged whenever I have gone in to see him. He has been sure to book me in to see specialists if it was required and has always, always followed up with me afterwards to discuss outcomes. I honestly feel grateful to have had such a fabulous, caring doctor. They are indeed hard to come by.

flag | Submitted January 10, 2017

Worst doctor I've ever seen. His entire manner is one of apathy and arrogance. He couldn't care less about you. I understand that some doctor's don't have a bedside manner. But Potiuk is missing any shred of decency. I literally don't understand how he is practicing. It must be due to the lack of doctor's in BC. I would trust my health to WebMD before I'd ever see this rude, abrupt, indifferent man again. He's very strange and looks at you with such an overtly smug and bored expression. He makes you want to get up and leave before you've even started talking. I've seen him 3 times over the years but the last time was enough. If I show up at the Oak Bay Medical Clinic and he's the one on staff I will go somewhere else. Absolutely deplorable behaviour from a so-called professional.

flag | Submitted December 9, 2016

Dr. Dustin J. Potiuk (MD, INC) is unequivocally the least professional, most abrasive, least helpful doctor I have ever had the displeasure of encountering. I requested an add-on medication to my existing two (2) psychiatric medications (none of which, including the requested prescription, are controlled substances or substances of abuse.) I made it explicitly clear that, despite my current medication and healthy, stable lifestyle, my depression was getting dangerously out of hand, and that I felt that I was caught in the midst of a downward spiral that could prove detrimental to my well-being. I was asked why I didn't talk to my family doctor about this, and informed Dr. Potiuk that she was unavailable- and, furthermore, that my schedule made it difficult to commit to a set appointment time. Seemingly oblivious to what I had just said, he repeated the question: why didn't I see my family doctor about it? He stated that he thought it preferable for my new prescription to be handled by her, to which I responded that the issue was time sensitive, and that, while I planned on seeing my family doctor as soon as possible, I was eager to begin a trial of the requested psychiatric drug (Bupropion). Dr. Potiuk then said that I would be best off going to an emergency room/seeing a psychiatrist if it was so important to me, his tone indicating that he did not consider the matter remotely urgent and had no intention of helping me (or even opening up a dialogue of some sort; pharmacology is my field of study.) When pressed, he hemmed and hawwed about not wanting to add to the "cocktail of drugs" that I'm already on. Cocktail of drugs?It's two medications that are often prescribed with Bupropion in the event that existing first line agents prove insufficient after a number of months. Addition of an NDRI to an SSRI medication is standard practice. It's far from an outrageous request; in fact, when I broached the subject with my family doctor months prior (opting to wait and see if my major depressive disorder would respond well to some positive lifestyle changes), she responded that she thought it was a 'very good idea', and that she fully supported the addition. Really, Potiuk? Your lack of empathy is appalling. Your willingness to let a potentially unstable patient out of the office because of your ambivalence to that patient's needs are appalling. Your confrontational tone, air of general conceit, and condescending manner are appalling. Quite frankly, I'm baffled by the notion that you manage to maintain a practice at all. My partner, visiting a week prior, seeking treatment of anxiety, was told to simply 'get [her] anxiety under control', and informed that her persistent headache was psychosomatic (no dialogue initiated, no questions asked- simply, a diagnosis based on zero evidence.) Dr. Potiuk does not seem to care a whit about the well being of his patients; thank you for opening my eyes to how totally inept medical "professionals" can be, and for completely and totally disregarding my medical needs. If I wanted to go to an emergency room, I would have gone to an emergency room... is it now standard practice to get ones psychiatric medications from the ER? I think not. On the plus side, one of the receptionists was very sweet, and the wait time was relatively short. It's been hours and I'm still livid; the last six experiences I have with medical professionals were overwhelmingly positive, and this was by far the worst experience with any doctor I have ever experienced first hand. Bravo, Potiuk.

flag | Submitted November 25, 2016

Dr Potiuk is ok if you only need an annual check, but if you have health issues, good luck for getting explanation on test results and the cause of the problem. He is unhelpful, does not listen. To summarize my experience, I would say he cannot care less!!!

flag | Submitted October 5, 2016