Ratings for Dr. Ben Chew

Took a day off on a Friday before a long weekend to travel to VGH to have a kidney stone 1/3 of an inch in size blasted. Had X-ray first, then put on IV and drugged up only to be told they thought they could see it but weren't sure, so sent me home. Why did they not look at the X-ray first before dopping me up on IV? Why didn't they do a second X-ray or CT then and there to find it. They knew I was from out of town, took time off work, and have already been dealing with this kidney stone for over a month. They should have done what needed to be done to find it and get rid of it, and NOT sent me home with it. Not very happy at all.

Submitted September 1, 2017

Very professional and down to earth Great Doctor!!

flag | Submitted June 8, 2017

Dr Chew is so great! Love him and his staff. I saw him because my ultrasound/CT scan showed huge and non functioning right kidney. He was able to explain to me very clearly what was going on and what he could do. He didnt try to rush me out of the door, he was punctual, and just so pleasant to talk to. I am VERY happy with him, and his wonderful staff. I would recommend Dr. Chew to anyone who needs to see a great urologist.

flag | Submitted May 26, 2017

I had kidney stone surgery this past December 2016. Very personable doctor, who sets one at ease and explains everything in plain English. Even called me on a Sunday when I was home in pain, to reassure me the symptoms I was experiencing were normal.

flag | Submitted March 13, 2017

My kidney stone surgery completed very efficiently, on time with caring doctor and super caring staff. My best medical experience in BC in 27 years. Good job - thankyou.

flag | Submitted November 2, 2016

He did my surgery last week and it was a great experience. He and his staff did everything they said they would and much, much more. I highly recommend him.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2016

I was only 18 years old when I was referred to this Uro by my family doc after a urethritis infection. Turns out I had prostatitis but by Dr Chew's very own words "you don't look stressed, I can't help you," is how it ended and he walked out of the room. Did NOT perform a DRE, did NOT perform a prostatitic secretion test, did NOT perform a transrectal ultrasound, did NOT perform a prostate biopsy or fluid testing. He did NOT treat, diagnose or test me whatsoever. Only a simple urine test which was done BEFORE i went to see him. It has been proven a urine test does not prove even a thing in Prostatitis patients. Apparently he judges you based on how you appear to be in distress only. Fact of the matter is I have been waking up 4-8 times per night, EVERY night for the last 5 years - including since before I saw him which he knew and chose to write me off. I am disgusted by his lack of care, thoroughness and bedside manner. Very rude, condescending and assuming. Just because a patient is not in EXTREME pain does not mean their quality of life is significantly reduced (1-2 out of 10 currently). Since I left this for so long, now I have to travel to prostatitis clinics and spend thousands upon thousands of dollars for treatment which could have been handled at the get go. Very sketchy Doctor and I truly wonder his absurd and unacceptable reason for treating me with complete disdain and apathy. I do not recommend him whatsoever if you have prostatitis or interstitial cystitis, ESPECIALLY if your primary symptom is urinary urgency, he ONLY cares if you are in PAIN.

flag | Submitted June 29, 2016

Dr. Chew respects his patients. He is very helpful, friendly, caring, knowledgeable. I cant say enough good things about him. God bless Dr. Chew.

flag | Submitted March 30, 2016

I was very lucky to have Dr Chew remove a large kidney stone. True he does phone you at home which is very rare with doctor/surgeons. He was very informative about what to expect with the operation. One of the best doctors I've met. Top marks.

flag | Submitted January 26, 2016

Could not get better. He even phoned me to remind me of an appointment, who does that ?

flag | Submitted October 24, 2015