Ratings for Dr. Dick Au

Really personable and down to earth. He treats you like a friend and he takes the time to explain things well, and answer all of your questions. Very hip, young, cool guy. :). At the same time, he is very professional and very knowledgeable.

flag | Submitted February 20, 2015

it is hard to believe this is the same doctor who assisted my mother with end of life care over the last three days. He was patient, detailed, caring, clarified our hopes and then explained in detail our options. He then altered the care over the three days till end of life, fully respecting our wish for no pain. I highly recommend Dr. Au. It might be useful to explain that my background is systems analysis, so I can be precise, blunt and terse. I highly appreciate the help that Dr. Au provided my mother and my family over the last three days.

flag | Submitted December 24, 2014

flag | Submitted January 15, 2014

Dr. Au is an unorthodox practicioner. If you like a traditional doctor he might not be for you. I loved his approach, and credit him with pretty much getting me through chemo last year. This was my only appointment at the Cross I always looked forward to. Give him a chance. There really is a method to his approach, and as soon as you let go of what you might expect from regular docs, you will find his formula really works!! I can't thank him enough for all the support and interventions he provided!!

flag | Submitted November 4, 2013

Got bad mouth sores from my colorectal cancer cheom. Said there was nothing for them that when you take certain chemo some patients get them. Went to a website and found a product that can prevent mouth sores. Even had published data in a major medical journal. Doctors don't seem well informed about new options for making you feel better. They're pretty focused on the cancer. But if you can't eat or swallow, it's hard to feel better.

flag | Submitted May 31, 2011

I would NOT recommend anyone to Dr. Au. I was his patient in hospital. He NEVER answered any of my concerns, and made me feel as if I were wasting his time. After my diagnosis I was sent home and told I would die!! Thanks be to God that I found a competent Dr., who treated my disease, and have recovered. I wouldn't let that man nor his attitude look after a sick animal, let alone a human being!!!!!!

flag | Submitted February 8, 2010

This young doctor seems interested initially, when he seems to want to 'solve the puzzle' of a diagnosis, but when his tests don't give clear answers he is quick to dismiss them and even appears annoyed to be wasting his time when he himself has given up. He does, as some have said, come across as arrogant. If you are his patient, I recommend you never give him cause to think you might be questioning him. He likes cases to fit his thought patterns, and not to be the complex people they are, without always having easy diagnoses that make his life simpler. Too dismissive of people with issues he can't figure out. Needs more patience and a willingness to accept what the patient says, regardless of how it complicates things for him. People are people, not cases; answers can be hard to find; don't dismiss their complaints just because you don't see how they fit into your preconceived diagnostic ideas.

flag | Submitted December 1, 2009

Dr Au was my brother's doctor for just over a year. My brother was a cancer patient at the Cross Cancer Institute. I attended all of my brother's appointments with this doctor. Sometimes the waits were long but this docotr's expertise was worth waiting for. His willingness to answer our questions is to be commended.He was compassionate and caring. He had a sense of humor. He was very knowlegeable. I cannot praise Dr Au enough. And to his end, my brother appreciated Dr. Au's many wonderful traits.Dr Au was always honest and direct with a diagnosis and prognosis. He wrote letters in a timely fashion. He reminded my brother continually to have a good life and to spend quality time with family and not to just focus on his disease. My brother trusted this doctor and appreciated the answers to all his questions. Dr Au helped my brother have a good end to his life. What more can one ask for?

flag | Submitted November 10, 2009

this doctor didn't have a clue what he was doing and didn't seem to care. i later found out that his treatment plan was completely inappropriate for my condition. this only came to light when i was transferred to the care of another doctor. once, he came around to see me and didn't even remember why i was in the hospital in the first place. i would STRONGLY recommend that if you have to go to the Misericordia Hospital that you ask for any doctor other than Dr AU.

flag | Submitted June 13, 2009

terrible experience with this doctor. while my mother was admitted he barely came to see her once a week. was not helpful at all. he made it clear that my questions were a waste of his time. did not even make an effort to find out what was really wrong with my mother.

flag | Submitted January 9, 2009