Ratings for Dr. M. Steve Gao

This so called Dr is without question the most pathetic, I have experienced. My father-in-law is a retired veteran, I had taken him to an appointment for the first time and from the moment I walked through the door, it was like walking into a free health clinic, you automatically knew that there was no way possible the Dr's in that office could devote the time necessary needed for their individual patients, and from the moment we went to the back and back out his nurse and Dr Gao spent a total combined time with us of 71/2 minutes. My father in law has many problems and all Dr Gao did was nod his head never asked questions. And what has finally made us realize that this Dr doesn't give a you know what about each individual patient is this, my father in law has Parkinson and Damensha really bad, he had kept failing so we tried for 3 days to get this officie to return our call and they never did, so he ended up in the hospital and Reginal and they ended up transferring him to Richardson Methodist in Dallas because he needed a high risk surgery, we called Dr Gao on call line and Dr Gao that night was the Dr on call, we left 4 messages with a 2 hour period explaining everything that it was urgent for him to call, did he NO. So the next morning with wife called his office asking them to please fax over his records and medications list, these people had the audacity to tell us that Dr Gao refused to send them since my father in law had be taken to Reginal Hospital and not Hendricks, this is coming from the Dr who has been my father in laws Dr the past 9 yrs, So my story is IT'S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY to this office the more patients the can herd through there like a bunch of cattle which means less time for the patients and more money in his already full pocket!!!!!!! They don't care and it's very sad.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2017

He is a pill pusher, he kept changing psychotropic drugs on my brother until he made him psychotic

flag | Submitted July 2, 2016

Dr. Gao needs refreshing course on common personal interactions, such as, uninterrupted discussions with his patients during patient/ Dr. time in exam room. During my visits, while explaining conditions there would be knocks on the door, cell phone calls that he would just answer without an, "excuse me, sorry for the interruption" basically rude and unprofessional. His demeanor can be rather rude. He has poor explanation skills about my test results. He has insinuated my problems are in my head and actually recommended I keep a journal of my problems and that would provide, "therapy". When he enters exam room there is usually no professional, courteous greeting. I've had him walk in and simply say, "ok, what do you want me to do for you"? He very poorly explained MRI results that left me very unsatisfied, and I felt he just was in too much of a hurry. I decided to go see a specialist, that I had to jump through hurdles to finally see, without Dr. Gao's knowledge. The specialist informed me with just an x-ray the true condition of my back problems. He stated my problem showed up very clearly on the x-rays. I just don't feel Dr. Gao really takes the time any patient deserves to be heard, examined thoroughly and given the full attention they may need. He leaves you sitting in the exam room wondering is he done, is there more I need to hear? He's not keen on allowing you to see a specialist if you ask him either. I just get the feeling its hurry up so he can get you out of the door. I understand things have changed in the medical community but patients still deserve to be fully heard and problems fully explained. Patients shouldn't leave their doctors office scratching their heads and feeling like they've been short changed with regards to their health. I will be changing to another primary very soon.

flag | Submitted December 19, 2015

Can't wait to find another primary care doctor! Don't think he knows medicine. Staff is totally rotten. Punctuality isn't too bad sometimes.

flag | Submitted August 6, 2015

Tree times he canceled appointments, and once I ended up in the emergency room because I ran out of flo-max and could not get the prescription refilled.

flag | Submitted July 30, 2015

First appointment Dr Gao spent over an hour listening to my history and helping sort out my medications. He also was able to diagnose a life long condition that numerous doctors had missed and therefore given medications I didn't need.

flag | Submitted April 23, 2015

Retired military who could no longer get an appointment on Dyess Air Force Base for anything. Switch ed Primary Care doctor to Dr. Gao. Very detailed doctor, who caught my prostate cancer in the earliest possible stages. Surgery done 2 years ago, and absolutely no sign of a recurrence.

flag | Submitted February 25, 2014

So I finally sought a referral for a problem I repeatedly took to him, to no avail. and I had to call 4 times throughout the month to request said referral--never able to speak to a human. When they finally returned my call it was the day before my appointment--which I had to reschedule because the referral would not reach the receiving office in time. The referral was incorrectly filled out--thank God I rescheduled because I would have paid out of pocket without the correct referral. Took three days to get a correct referral sent. Oh, he also hands out prozac like candy. If it were up to him, we'd all be walking around like zombies. They are in way over their head and cannot handle their patient load effectively. One word--Circus

flag | Submitted October 30, 2013

I have had Dr. Gao for two years and he will not give a referral, he thinks he can handle everything, I am very ill and he has done nothing to help me, now I have bladder cancer because he dismissed it as a UTI everytime, he was personable, but has a God complex

flag | Submitted October 14, 2013

At my first appointment I thought this guy was going to be great. But after getting tests done I realized I needed a new doctor immediately. I called his nurse for my test results and she told me, "NORMAL". I explained that cant be possible b/c of my physical conditions. I asked if Dr. Gao could plz call me to discuss my results, and she said "No, you need to make an appointment". His next avail wasnt until 2 months later!! This was absurd! Other docs call patients all the time, why cant he take 5 mins to do the same? I switched docs immediately and learned I actually needed surgery!!! If I would have stayed w/ "Dr". Gao my condition would have gotten worse. Him and his staff are a sad case. He needs to re-evaluate how he communicates with his patients.

flag | Submitted November 8, 2011