Ratings for Dr. Sharmeen Shaikh

I waited for 3 years before I was able to find a family physician for myself and my daughters and in the beginning, Dr. Shaikh appeared to be very caring and professional. However, once she also started practising dermatology, it appears that she made it her main focus and showed very little or no regard for her mediacl patients. Both my daughters and I have had to wait for at least 30 - 45 minutes for our appointments, even if it was just to get a prescription refilled! Recently, I booked for an annual physical. With just a paper gown on and no underwear (I was asked to strip naked for my physical & pap smear test), in the middle of winter, I was left waiting for 55 minutes, before I popped my head out of the room to ask if I could use the washroom. I was told that I should use the public washroom, in the public hallway, of the building. What is more appalling, is that I was instructed to use the public washroom despite the fact that I informed the staff that I was butt naked with just a paper gown fastened with a piece of string, covering most of my body. Needless to say, after refusing to be treated in such a callous and unprofessional manner, I was finally "allowed" to use their in-house washroom. The doctor casually strolled in 1 hour and 5 minutes later, with a very fake apology! Then it was business as usual as she hurridly completed my annual physical (pap smear test and all) in less than 15 minutes! I agree with the comments provided by some of her other present and ex patients where they have stated that she does push for her patients to purchase her expensive dermatology and/or hair loss products. I am very saddened that she has let her medical patients down, in her quest for the 'big bucks' associated with dermatology. SadIy, I have not been back since and am in the process of finding a new family physician.

flag | Submitted May 23, 2017

I received a call from Dr. Shaikh's office asking that we part ways. I am dumbfounded. The receptionist indicated that Dr. Shaikh felt we were rude to her, when the exact opposite is true! She has consistently been 35-45 minutes late for our appointments...I work in health care & understand this happens sometimes, so we agreed to switch days to be seen on a less busy one. Then when I simply asked a question regarding changing how my son's treated areas for warts could be bandaged better to yield better results, she became extremely defensive, raised her voice to us & made several unprofessional comments. She clearly doesn't like when you share a difference of opinion. I thought she may have just been having a bad day, but after reading so many negative reviews of her, I see that I'm not alone in being ok with us parting ways! I would definitively not recommend this physician due to the unprofessionalism.

flag | Submitted January 31, 2017

Not a patient of her but had my doctor remove over 30 for free. Had around eye lids, under arms pits. Several years ago went to have one removed around my eye doctor wanted 350.. dollars but I refused. Intern stopped me and removed for free in another room. Please note skin tags are higher in people with diabetes and one should check this out and be cautious.

flag | Submitted November 26, 2016

I would agree with the last comment. The receptionist is very rude. The waiting room is completely unprofessional. The patients are all crammed in there and you can hear everything the receptionist says on the phone. There is no confidentiality with personal conversations due to the office layout. I thought Dr. shaikh was okay at the beginning as I was one of her first patients. However when she moved to the new office and developed an interest in cosmetic skin procedures she changed. She seems to want this to be her primary focus nothing else!!

flag | Submitted October 24, 2015

The one receptionist is very rude. I have never been treated as badly before in my whole life. Dr sheikh only cares about scamming you out of your money and buying her expensive skin products!!!!

flag | Submitted August 4, 2015

I went to Dr Shaikh to have skin tags removed. She advised that the ones under my arm were covered by Alta Health Services, but the ones on my neck weren't. When I questioned this, she replied that AHS would not cover the neck ones, as they would be deemed by them as cosmetic, and by the way that will be $60.00 for the first tag, and $5.00 for each one after. Also, $9.00 for the freezing. When I advised her my husband just had his removed from back, neck, arms, at no charge from his Dr., she was surprised and said again that AHS would not cover it, and I should look into buying some skin cream for my face (still not sure what that had to do with my skin tags...) I immediately called Alberta Health and they advised that yes, they do cover all skin tags - if it is deemed necessary by the physician. This Dr did not advise me that it was up to her as to decide whether they were cosmetic or not, she just kept blaming AHS. I advised her that I should have been told there would be charge for this service when I booked the appointment, as I wouldn't have wasted both her and my time. I walked out and booked with my husbands doctor, and the receptionist there advised absolutely - NO CHARGE. I won't be back...

flag | Submitted April 28, 2015

Dr Shaikh is an AWESOME doctor !! I have worked for her for almost an year and could comment based on my close observation. Firstly she is a very kind , soft and caring person. For instance, she always gave me a break whenever I needed time with a young kid. I was so touched when one time she suggested me to leave my daughter with her kids when I was not able to find a day care .Secondly, on the professional side, she is a very knowledgeable doctor and takes care of each and every patient to the best of her abilities. I agree, with few people here, that she is getting busier in her skin care practice but this is not getting done at the expense of her family practice patients as she makes sure to balance both sides. We should not neglect the fact that every doctor is busy nowadays and waiting in the doctor's office is getting universal!! Finally, She is very helping and loves to help all the people around her. You will be in safe hands if you get under her care as long as she accepts new patients. I wanted to write this last year but got busy with my new born. Anyways , Thank you Dr Shaikh and Keep up the good work!!

flag | Submitted February 19, 2015

The one receptionist at her clinic is horrendous, rude and completely makes the entire experience a bad one. Dr Shaikh expects us to be on time but is always running late; she did take the time to listen and investigate the problems I had and I totally appreciate that.

flag | Submitted October 5, 2014

I am in the medical field, and all I can say is Dr.Sharmeen Shaikh is the worse physician I have ever been to. She is very unprofessional and has extremely poor bed side manner, and treats her staff poorly from what I have seen. She rushes each patient visit so she can meet her specific "quota" of the day and neglects all the patients needs or concerns. She emphasizes more on her skin care than taking an actual clinical approach on full check up of the patients and coming up with differential diagnosis. I would not recommend this doctor to anyone! You would be wasting you're time!

flag | Submitted October 1, 2014

After my family Doctor retired I started seeing Dr Shaikh and have been for a few years. She is not thorough at all in her examinations as she is always running behind and seems to use your appointment to catch-up on her time. I had a physical booked last week which took under 10 minutes (after waiting 30 minutes) from start to finish. No bloodwork was ordered, she didn't check my vitals and it felt like a complete waste of time. She seems to be more focused on her skin portion of the clinic and uninterested in being a family doctor. Am currently looking for a new physician after this last experience.

flag | Submitted May 9, 2014