Ratings for Dr. Cor Van Tonder

I have seen this doctor on six occassions, and I was very disappointed with his knowledge and demeanor. He did not seem to remember who I was each time, and did not read the history sheet, so we would have to begin all over again. He prescribed me an extremely strong medication for a relatively simple condition that could have been managed by change in diet and OTC medication. He has not warned me that I can have serious issues weaning off the medication, and the pharmacy did not notify me of this either. I had a severe reaction once I stopped taking the drug and one year on I am still struggling with what may be permanent damage caused by it. This ruined my life, and I can't do anything about it except write a short blurb here. As for the doctor's demeanor, he answered and conducted a personal cell phone call while performing my pap smear. Unreal. I strongly advise caution.

flag | Submitted March 3, 2015

I went to Dr. Van Tonder and at first he seemed to care and was interested in helping my find a solution to my constant chest pain. After blood tests and him consulting another doctor they sent me for a holter monitor. The results showed nothing. So after going back to him and telling him I was still having the pain he prescribed me some medication. I went to the pharmacy and got it filled and the lady looked at me and asked if I had ever taken anti-anxiety medication before. NONE of that was discussed with me while talking to Van Tonder. He prescribed me a highly addictive anti-anxiety medication to get rid of my chest pain and get me out of his office. I ended up finding a new family doctor who actually gave me a diagnosis after many tests and I have a heart condition. I couldn't believe he had handed me medication to basically stop me from complaining and worrying about my serious problem.

flag | Submitted January 27, 2015

Not sure why he would have continued to take on new patients knowing he was leaving Calgary to go back to SA. Wasted my families time now we are stuck finding another dr.

flag | Submitted December 22, 2014

I am so very sorry to have lost Dr. Van Tonder as our family physician. We have moved out of the city and were prepared to drive the 143kms. to keep him as our doctor. Sadly, we found out he was moving away, himself. He was, by far, the best physician I have ever had.

flag | Submitted November 7, 2014

Im very sad we will be losing our family doctor, Dr. Cor Van Tonder he has been the BEST doctor I have ever seen

flag | Submitted October 29, 2014

The best doctor I have had in 52 years. Exceptional knowledge, solicits my input and listen's to me. Considers alternate treatments that work. Very bright guy and extremely personable.

flag | Submitted September 23, 2014

I am so happy to have found Dr. Van Tonder. He takes excellent care to listen to what I have to say, is gentle and respectful. I always feel good about my choice for medical care when I go to see him.

flag | Submitted August 18, 2014

Love Dr. Van Tonder, I switched to him and my husband and kids see him as well. Very thorough, not quick to push medication and supportive of natural treatments, usually running close to on time and never feel rushed. His office staff is great too.

flag | Submitted August 11, 2014

I've been very happy to find Dr. Van Tonder, and my first impressions were that he was very trustworthy and personable. Unfortunately, after 6 visits to treat a moderately serious condition, my conclusion is that he is forgetful, inattentive, lacking balanced judgement, and not willing to be proactive in finding treatments. I've wasted 3 months with him before finding another physician, who immediately asked me to do tests which were never mentioned by Dr. Van Tonder. I would certainly recommend caution.

flag | Submitted May 16, 2014

I have been looking for a doctor since I came to Canada 2 years ago. I was truly happy when one of his staff called me to inform me that Dr. Van Tonder accepts new patients. I have consulted Dr. Van Tonder twice, and on those occasions I found him to be thorough and systematic in his examinations. He listens and I haven't felt that I was being rushed when seen on those appointments. His assurance that he'll treat me with my medical concern has alleviated my fears. I am satisfied and I hope he stays that way since I know that he has a lot of patients now.

flag | Submitted May 5, 2014